Honeymoon Discussions
Options

New York honeymoon

FI and I are starting to look into booking arrangements for our honeymoon.  We are leaning towards NYC a couple weeks after the wedding.  

I would like any info you all have...

Good hotels to stay at?  Around the 250-300/night in Manhattan.  Places to eat?  Suggestions on romantic things to do or must-sees in NYC.  Thanks!!!
80 Ready to party! image
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: New York honeymoon

• Options
    in NYC you can never go wrong with a broadway play.  One of the wonders of NYC, but if you are looking for somewhere that is a bit more serene and romantic, you could always go to Central Park and they have a very nice restaurant called Tavern on the Green right by the park.
    It's hard for me to pin point places to go in NYC b/c I think the city as a whole is adventerous and romantic! I'm not sure on where to stay because I stayed at a cheaper hotel when I was there, but there are so many options!
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited February 2010
    I checked your bio, and it would appear you will be going close to the Xmas holidays. That will be a lovely time to stay in NYC.

I've always used this website to buy maps, they have laminated ones that have info on them like subways, etc.

http://mapeasy.com/products.cfm?location=2

Go to your nearest bookstore and buy Fodor's book, or other travel book, on New York City. They will have ideas, hotel recommendations with prices and websites, etc. It's something you can take with you. Here is their website if you want to check out places online:

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/usa/new-york/new-york-city/

I took my kids to NYC a few years ago, and we stayed with a friend who knew NYC well. We spent one day in northern Manhattan, the other day in southern Manhattan. We saw EVERYTHING we wanted. Make a list of the things you and your then husband will want to see, from most important to least important. Then map them out geographically. We went in the summer, but in 2 days saw the following:

- World Trade Center site
    - St Patrick's Cathedral
    -NY Stock Exchange
    -Broadway (from the outside of the theaters)
    - Empire State Bldg, went to the top (this is very cool)
    - Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island (not sure how that works in the winter). If you or your fiance had family come over through Ellis Island, they have a really cool service you can sign up for there to look for ancestors. You'll need exact, or close to exact names, preferably dates of birth or dates they arrived. After coming back I continued the search & found my grandma on the manifest from the early 1900's.
    - Central Park
    -Shopped on 5th Avenue

Don't rent a car, NY is a tough place to get around. Cabs are expensive, so try to find a hotel near your most important destinations.

I'd recommend you post this on the NYC board as well, I'm sure the people there can make some recommendations. I'd think a carriage ride around Central Park has to be on the top of the list.

Good luck and enjoy it. NYC is a fun city, and has a lot of romantic opportunities.
    PS: Prior poster's mention of Tavern on the Green.... this restaurant closed a couple of months ago due to the downturn in the economy.

Good luck.
  • Options
    "Cabs are expensive, so try to find a hotel near your most important destinations." DISAGREE!! Our subway system is exceptional and you can get anywhere with it.

Tavern on the Green closed on 01/01/10 (even when it was open it was a touristy trap rip off).

There are so many things to do here you cannot shove everything in. Will you be here at christmas time? what are your intrests? food, historical sites, museums, shopping? give a bit more info.....

• Options
    Tavern on the Green closed at the beginning of the year like the previous poster mentioned. 

Also I agree, that the subway system can get you any where you need to go. But cabs can be expensive and I would not rec driving unless you really want a challenge.

I can not say much about the hotels, because I live in NY, but a few in midtown are:
    the marriott marquis is right in times square
    Club quarters on 51st bet 5th & 6th is right next to rockefeller center (near saks fifth ave, st patricks etc)
    there is also a sheraton or marriott on 6th around 53rd/54th that a lot of the business travelers stay in.

How long will you be here?  Are you looking at coming November/December?

If I were coming to NYC for the first time I would say
    First take one of the hop-on hop-off tours.  It is SUPER TOURISTY and expensive, but it helps you get a lay of the land.  I would take the whole loop once and decide where I would like to spend more time.  There are actually 3 loops I believe depending on which tour company you use.  Most of them hit all the major spots, and I think one of them ventures over to Brooklyn.

I would not want to leave without seeing a Broadway play either. Some would say that off-broadway is more "new york-y," but it is famous for a reason.

Depending on how much time you had I would day Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty are cool.  Something most NYers don't even get to do unless they are bringing out of towners in.

If you have a clear day I would got to the Top Of the Rock or the Empire State Building.  Both have great views.  With the Empire State Building, you have the bragging rights of checking that off of the list.  With the Top Of the Rock, you can see the Empire State Building in your panoramic view.

Another favorite pass time would be eating.  There are tons of great places to eat.  You can hit up the food carts (check out the vendy winners),  little boutique restaurants or major outposts from the celebrity chef set.  If it isn't too cold, I would do a walking pizza tour.  You can either do a group tour or do it on your own.

Let me know if you have any other questions
  • Options

Carmines in the city is a great Italian resturaunt! Love it.

Broadway show- you can get half price tickets at TKTS in Times Square. ( red discount booth)
    Greenich Village- just to walk around, shop
    Magnolia Bakery- the BEST cupcakes!
    Bloomies, any department store

There is TONS to do in NY, you just have to research and be smart about it and plan it out. It gets very expensive, so keep that in mind!

Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_new-york-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:26608c81-f3fe-4a0f-950a-b01fe30d8a1fPost:3ede8bde-f751-4883-b79f-9eb799f70790">Re: New York honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Carmines in the city is a great Italian resturaunt! Love it
    </strong>. Broadway show- you can get half price tickets at TKTS in Times Square. ( red discount booth) Greenich Village- just to walk around, shop Magnolia Bakery- the BEST cupcakes! Bloomies, any department store   There is TONS to do in NY, you just have to research and be smart about it and plan it out. It gets very expensive, so keep that in mind!
    Posted by Kmartella4[/QUOTE]

Carmines is good, but it's still a chain. There is much better Italian to be had I'm sure.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions!  We will most likely be going either about a week before Christmas or right after and possibly be there over New Years. 

We like seeing historic sites.  Museums if there is something interesting to be seen.  We love good food.  Whether it's a dive or more pricey, we like trying different foods that we wouldn't be able to get at home.  

Again, I appreciate all yours help ladies!!
    80 Ready to party! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You must stay here- its fabulous!!!!
    http://www.morganshotel.com/
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_new-york-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:26608c81-f3fe-4a0f-950a-b01fe30d8a1fPost:d12ebecb-b4c0-4ad8-ac85-dc322f01d8ba">Re: New York honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for all the suggestions!  We will most likely be going either about a week before Christmas or right after and possibly be there over New Years.  We like seeing historic sites.  Museums if there is something interesting to be seen.  We love good food.  Whether it's a dive or more pricey, we like trying different foods that we wouldn't be able to get at home.   Again, I appreciate all yours help ladies!!
    Posted by kb5432[/QUOTE]

With the museums - most have a suggested donation to enter, and it is ridiculous! DO NOT feel that you have to pay whatever they "suggest" - you'll go broke!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    We mini-mooned in NYC last spring and had a blast.  We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria, which was great, but I've also stayed at W's in the past, and they are very cool.  I'd recommend avoiding hotels in Times Square as it so crazy busy in that neighborhood.

I love taking buses vs the subway in NYC as you can enjoy the view.  Definitely spend some time in Central Square.  I love the Boat House.  We took in a taping of The Today Show, toured the Met and explored the Village and TriBeCa.  You're going to have a blast.
  • Options
    For Italian, I would go with Scarpetta.
    For fun, I would go with Ninja.
    For Asian, any of the momofuko empire.
    For burgers, I would go with Burger Joint
    Even though they are chains I would check out
    Nobu, Tao, Peter Luger's or Wolfgang's, and DelFrisco's

There is also the 21 Club as a NY institution.
    I
  • Options
    For barbecue, go to Fette Sau in Brooklyn.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards