Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cocktail hour appetizers

Hello. My fiance and I and trying to figure out what type of appetizers we should serve during cocktail hour. We are having a simple menu. Steak, chicken, veggies, rice, potatoes, two different salads and rolls. Our caterer has provided a fruit display for us that we can use during cocktail hour but we have decided to save some money and do our appetizers ourselves. So besides the fruit tray we were thinking of doing cold appetizers but are stuck on what to serve. They will need to be prepared the day before and refrigerated so that they can just be placed out during cocktail hour by two of our friends. We have approximately 100 guests attending so something simple that we can put together quickly would be awesome. I thought it might be fun to do a play on all our favorite foods. Mine-italian something and sushi and his would be probably shrimp or some sort and mexican style something. Any sugesstions on those genres of food that can be served cold? We would greatly appreciate any help. 

Re: Cocktail hour appetizers

• Options
    I agree that you want to keep it simple.  Some ideas that I think would be doable--
    Caprese salad skewers (tomato, fresh mozzarella, and basil)
    Cold soup shooters--I saw a station at an event that had a bowl of strawberry soup and a bowl of carrot ginger soup, and you served yourself in a teacup
    Shrimp platter from Costco

I would not have sushi unless it's fresh.  If you're planning to make everything yourself and haven't made sushi before, I think it would be really time-consuming to prepare.  
  • Options
    I love the suggestion of doing cheese, fruit, veggies, and a shrimp platter.  You could also beef it up with some dips. 

Hummus is easy to make and would be good with the veggie crudites. You could make a dip out of diced tomato, feta, and fresh basil tossed in olive oil and serve it with sliced french bread.  You could make crab dip to serve with crackers. 

Also, you could stuff olives with blue cheese and serve those.  And you could get antipasti meat platters (things like salami, prosciutto, etc.)

• Options
    I think CostCo is your friend here. They have bruschetta and other Italian things that would be easy to set up quickly, as well as shrimp cocktails, crudités, cheese trays, etc.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards