South Asian Weddings

Help with food

I posted a few days ago regarding venues, but didn't get any replies :(  Anyways, I will be serving Pakistani food, and because I'm Muslim, the meat has to be halaal. I'm getting married next year, but can't seem to find a venue (that I like and is big enough for my ridiculously large guest list) that either doesn't have a contract with an exclusive caterer or an in-house chef. Can any of you Southasian knotties help? Were you able to negotiate to bring an outside caterer, or did you just look at venues that allowed outside catering? Thanks for any advice/help you can give. It'd be much appreciated.

p.s. the only reason I'm posting here is because I'm assuming a good portion of you served traditional Southasian cuisine.

Re: Help with food

• kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there Sparkles, and welcome to the boards!

We served traditional seven curries, rice, naan, roti, and dalpuri all vegetarian for our wedding lunch actually, and picked out caterers/restaurants for food for our reception.  We looked for a venue that would allow outside food to be brought in, or cooked on the premises - so we looked for a large kitchen.  It just so happened that the temple we picked, also had a banquet hall across the street that we used for the lunch and reception.

Does those venues with an in-house caterer/chef know how to cook the type of food that you need?  We went to a venue where we asked for Indian food, and they said, that they would hire in an Indian chef of their choosing, if they could find one, else they would let us bring in food from a caterer.... So that might be an option.

Have you been to other Muslim weddings in your area? Or have friends or families that have been?  I ask because, they might have a venue that they went to that allowed this to happen.

Also, if you do go the way of getting a banquet hall to host your reception, or wedding lunch, then you'd be able to cater from a restaurant in your area.

I did a search for halaal restaurants in Philly, and this is what they found.

Hope that helps :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • edited December 2011
    Most of the venues we met with had a caterer or two that they chose to work with, however, some were open to you being able to bring in your own.

Have you discussed the options with any venues yet? I know you said you can't seem to find one that is big enough for your guest list, but sometimes even locations that are off the beaten path might work out for you. Think museums etc that aren't your traditional banquet hall or hotel ballroom.

KP had some good suggestions to ask those around you, family or friends, what they would recommend.

How many people are you planning on inviting? You were looking for something in the Philly/south Jersey area, right?
    ExerciseMilestone
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    edited December 2011
    I forgot too, but Raangoli's post reminded me, extending further, by asking those around you, ask Halaal restaurants if they've ever catered for weddings... it's a big signal to say, "Yes I have", and then ask them "where?" that'll give you a sign to the venues that can!!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi **sparkles**

I'm in Toronto (Canada) and most venues cater for Indian weddings (even the well known italian halls) so unfortunately I didn't run into this problem.

Do you have a large pakistani community where you live or where you want to do the wedding?  Maybe if you are in an area where your community is you'll have better luck?

Sorry I wasn't much help!
  • **sparkles****sparkles** member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello ladies!
    Thank you so much for your advice/help. You have given me some great tips.
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    edited December 2011
    Anytime :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards