September 2012 Weddings
Options

Did you ever hear of this??

This has been bothering me and my mom for a couple of weeks now. We are using the same photographer for my wedding that my sister used for hers. We went to see her and gave her a deposit. Then we got the contract in the mail and it states that they require to be served a hot entree at the wedding Is this unheard of??? I feel like if we give them a hot entree we should give everyone a hot entree. We have a 10 piece band, videopgrapher (2) and photographer (2). We are paying $150.00 a person and I dont feel like I should be obligated to feed her a hot entree. We are paying her enough or for her to tell me what shes wants to eat. Thoughts????
image 211 Invited image 153 Ready to Party image 58 Are Missing Out Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Did you ever hear of this??

• Options
    It is written into our photographer's contract that she be provided with a meal (I don't think it specifies "hot entree" though). I think our DJ is expecting a meal as well. But, check with your venue/caterer because vendor meals are usually discounted. Our vendor meals are 50% the price of guest meals according to our caterer contract.
  • Options

We are going to feed them. Vendor Meals are usually Club Sandwiches or something like that. She is requesting a hot entree like the rest of the wedding guests.

image 211 Invited image 153 Ready to Party image 58 Are Missing Out Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is pretty standard. Photographers unlike a band or DJ are with you all day long, working. Rather than expecting them to go hungry, they will need something to eat too. Usually your caterer will have a less expensive meal that you can offer for your vendors. 
  • Options
    In this area that's totally the norm, and vendor meals are usually a hot meal that you can purchase at a discounted rate.
  • Options

I am in the wedding business. I never heard of this. Vendor Meals are usually less expensive. They are requiring the same entree as my wedding guests. I plan on feeding all of the vendors. But Not Filet.

• Options
    I posted something like this last week because I have limited seating and paying almost what you're paying per person. Our caterers have vendor meals available so that's what we are doing for the Photog/DOC/DJ.
    invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    i think this is very normal. our reception hall offers vendor meals for $35. i have no idea what they actually get, but i assume its "hot". everyone has to eat, i think!
    Happily married since 9/1/2012!
    The Whimsical Wifey
  • Options
    My venue does have Vendor Meals for $15.00pp. But my photographer wants a meal for more than double the price. I know its only about $34.00pp++ but that adds up. How can I feed my photographer a nice hot meal and feed everyone else the vendor meal. We are talking about 14 more people.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_did-you-ever-hear-of-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:d6af69a7-7248-4a2a-8383-44c876861bfePost:d9cfa25b-4f49-4ea9-950f-ce93be2bb134">Re: Did you ever hear of this??</a>:
    [QUOTE]My venue does have Vendor Meals for $15.00pp. But my photographer wants a meal for more than double the price. I know its only about $34.00pp++ but that adds up. How can I feed my photographer a nice hot meal and feed everyone else the vendor meal. We are talking about 14 more people.
    Posted by WLevine75[/QUOTE]

<div>Did the other vendors state the more expensive meal in their contracts?  If not, feed them the vendor meal and feed the photog the more expensive.  You can always chat with your venue to see if they will do a middle ground sort of thing so it wont be as expensive as the normal plate.  </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_did-you-ever-hear-of-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:d6af69a7-7248-4a2a-8383-44c876861bfePost:fe779cb1-794a-4075-8708-0d338b3952c6">Re: Did you ever hear of this??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did you ever hear of this?? : Did the other vendors state the more expensive meal in their contracts?  If not, feed them the vendor meal and feed the photog the more expensive.  You can always chat with your venue to see if they will do a middle ground sort of thing so it wont be as expensive as the normal plate.  
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

No other vendors stated in their contract. I just feel bad that I am going to feed them vendor meals and the 2 photographers hot entrees. Oh well. It is what it is. It just annoyed me a little. 
  • Options

I agree with the above statement, just ask your venue about a hot chicken dish you can serve the photographers. My venue gave us two options a boxed dinner with a sandwich and chips or the same dinner as my guests at a discount price b/c the bar is not included. I believe its around 30 a plate for them. However, we are only paying 60 a plate for everyone else not 150. That is a big difference. If all the venders are going to eat together I wouldn't feel right giving my band sandwiches and my photographers something different. Your best bet is to find something in the middle that you are happy with paying.
    A meal is written in my contract too, but does not specify hot or cold. However my photgrapher will be with me from 1 in the afternoon to 11 at night so I want them to have a good meal. Good Luck!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_did-you-ever-hear-of-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:d6af69a7-7248-4a2a-8383-44c876861bfePost:9536f9a9-f69b-4e81-abec-67e328d6d482">Did you ever hear of this??</a>:
    [QUOTE]This has been bothering me and my mom for a couple of weeks now. We are using the same photographer for my wedding that my sister used for hers. We went to see her and gave her a deposit. <strong>Then we got the contract in the mail and it states that they require to be served a hot entree at the wedding Is this unheard of???</strong> I feel like if we give them a hot entree we should give everyone a hot entree. We have a 10 piece band, videopgrapher (2) and photographer (2). We are paying $150.00 a person and I dont feel like I should be obligated to feed her a hot entree.<strong> We are paying her enough or for her to tell me what shes wants to eat. Thoughts????
    </strong>Posted by WLevine75[/QUOTE]

My mouth is on the floor right now.  This was not in my contract with my photographer and videographer (same company). We have one attendent that comes with the catering and the attendent for the venue. FI and I made enough provisions with the catering company so that we can offer these four the option to actually have a meal while work if they so wish. The DJ at the wedding is my brother in law attending the wedding as a guest so he was already factored in. This is completely new to me...so thank you WLevine for posting this cause I would have not known this without reading this post.
    Anniversary Vacation
  • Options

I would seek a middle ground with either the vendor or the caterer. See if there is some other "hot meal" that would be acceptable. I don't think you should be obligated to give them the same thing as your guests but maybe something like Dayna said, just a hot chicken dish or the likes.

I don't really have an issue with this for our wedding because our photog and DJ are close friends of ours and we consider them to be celebrating with us, so they are getting the guest dinner. Plus our DJ cut us a SMOKIN' deal so we feel this is only right since he really did not have to do that (I'm talking about half price of what even the cheapest DJs in the area charge).

• Options
    Well, it is customary to feed your vendors (at least the ones with you most of the day) a meal. My contract says that I'm required a meal, although I don't specify hot. Some venues I photograph in provide a boxed lunch, but at most most I'm eating the same as the guests. It's typically a reduced rate for the couple, as your vendors will not be utilizing the apps, bar, or servers.

I'll be providing a table for my vendors and feeding them the same as my guests. It's important to me that they are well taken care of, as they are the people making sure my day is perfect. Plus, as someone in the industry I know how much is sucks to get the shaft when you bust your butt all day. I also plan on feeding my photographers lunch, since it would be rude to not have something for them while the rest of us are eating/snacking.
  • Options

It is very common in my area as well.  vendors require hot meals, but not necessarily the same as our guest. 
    Our catere is actually making a lasagna for our vendors.  (the guests are having chicken and beef)  That way they can feed a large number of people for a small price. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_did-you-ever-hear-of-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:d6af69a7-7248-4a2a-8383-44c876861bfePost:6e24db2a-83fd-4b11-ad41-7dd333706fd2">Re: Did you ever hear of this??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, it is customary to feed your vendors (at least the ones with you most of the day) a meal. My contract says that I'm required a meal, although I don't specify hot. Some venues I photograph in provide a boxed lunch, but at most most I'm eating the same as the guests. It's typically a reduced rate for the couple, as your vendors will not be utilizing the apps, bar, or servers. I'll be providing a table for my vendors and feeding them the same as my guests. It's important to me that they are well taken care of, as they are the people making sure my day is perfect. Plus, as someone in the industry I know how much is sucks to get the shaft when you bust your butt all day. I also plan on feeding my photographers lunch, since it would be rude to not have something for them while the rest of us are eating/snacking.
    Posted by Starfish0116[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Exactly my sentiments. I may not be in the industry, but these people are working hard all day long to make my day special. They deserve a meal at least. I am paying them for their services, but it's not like the photographers have the option to say, "Hey, bride. I'm just gonna run to McDonald's real quick and grab a bite to eat." It's just unrealistic to expect them not to eat all day long. How else are they going to eat??

</div>
  • Options
    In stipulating they 'require a hot entree' they aren't saying 'I must eat the same as the guests'.... all they are doing is saying they want more than a box lunch if they're working all day for you as your photog.... I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation at all. Ask your vendor about what hot meal options they have for vendors.
  • Options
    jessa1228jessa1228 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_did-you-ever-hear-of-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:d6af69a7-7248-4a2a-8383-44c876861bfePost:b950893a-442b-4efb-bb5c-12d0e65edab0">Re: Did you ever hear of this??</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>In stipulating they 'require a hot entree' they aren't saying 'I must eat the same as the guests'.... all they are doing is saying they want more than a box lunch if they're working all day for you as your photog</strong>.... I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation at all. Ask your vendor about what hot meal options they have for vendors.
    Posted by BMcLeodTeam[/QUOTE]

<div>This was my impression as well. But to make sure everyone is on the same page, ask your photog if this is what they mean. Then discuss with your caterer a hot meal option that is less expensive than what your guests are eating. If there is no option like that, then just budget in the extra $120 or whatever it is for them.</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_did-you-ever-hear-of-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:d6af69a7-7248-4a2a-8383-44c876861bfePost:b950893a-442b-4efb-bb5c-12d0e65edab0">Re: Did you ever hear of this??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In stipulating they 'require a hot entree' they aren't saying 'I must eat the same as the guests'.... all they are doing is saying they want more than a box lunch if they're working all day for you as your photog.... I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation at all. Ask your vendor about what hot meal options they have for vendors.
    Posted by BMcLeodTeam[/QUOTE]

<div>Exactly. I'm planning on feeding my vendors the same that I feed my guests. If you can't afford that, then sit down with your photog and come up with a reasonable option. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards