Canada-Ontario

What makes your wedding special/unique?

This board is kind of sleepy, so...

What do you think will make (or made if you're already married) your wedding special and/or unique?
Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
imageWedding Countdown Ticker
"If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert

Re: What makes your wedding special/unique?

• lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll go first - we're incorporating a mix of traditions.  So the ceremony will be officiated by both a Catholic and an Orthodox priest, and we'll have some Western traditions and some Macedonian traditions at the reception.
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • edited December 2011
    This board is sleepy! Let's wake it up!

Ours will be unique because we are doing ceremony and reception at the same place, and most people in our crowd tend to do the big gap in between thing. Also, I am personalizing all the little elements (guest book, table numbers, etc), which a lot of the weddings I've been too lately hasn't been done. Plus, we are having a traditional portuguese seafood buffet at midnight, and harp music being played for the ceremony and during the meal!  We have a "mashup" of Catholic, Jewish, and other elements that we like such as a hands ceremony. All in all I think most of our wedding will be fairly unique! But I'm sure every bride thinks so. ; ) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fun poll!

We had a choir perform at the ceremony.

We did a fun first dance (a fun ballroom/latin dance) which a good friend of mine choreographed.

We had our dinner served family style (platters in the middle of the table).

Our dessert buffet consisted of traditional Chinese (my background) and Indian (his background) sweets.

Our videographer showed the guests a "same day edit" wedding clip.

It was a fabulous day :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Homediva - I wanted to have the ceremony and reception at the same place, but the ceremony space at my hall couldn't hold all of my guests without them standing, which I didn't want, so I had to scrap that plan.

Ring_pop - I've never seen (or I guess I should say heard) a choir perform at a ceremony.  It sounds like it was really beautiful!
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks lalap - it was! H and I both sing in choirs, so it was a combination of members from two choirs that we're members of. Choral music is really important to us (and actually, we got to know each other in our church choir) so we wouldn't have had it any other way :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay knowing that it's part of your story like that makes it even sweeter.  I love those personal touches!
  • edited December 2011
    For our ceremony my Grandfather, Uncle, and Cousin are playing the songs for the pre ceremony, the bridal entrance, and the signing of the registry, etc. My aunt is super excited and will be video taping the ceremony.

Also my other uncle is making our wedding cake. It is our wedding gift from him and my aunt.

As well, my dad's cousin is marrying us.

I think these 3 things make my wedding unique. :)

• miellenmiellen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I designed + printed all paper goodies including letterpress invitations, favors and guestbook. I'll also be performing the song for the mother + son dance.

Oh, and I'm hoping to serve grilled cheese and sliders for a midnight snack (just need a go ahead from FI to spend more money, lol)!
  • edited December 2011
    I am going for a non-traditional dress (I went for a more casual, cocktail dress) that is a little retro and unique. 

I'd like to come down the aisle to something unusual and unique - I am a huge music fan, so I am hoping to walk down the aisle to one of my favourite songs.

My fiance's favourite thing in the whole world is PIE, so we're going to have a pie bar for our dessert table with all of his favourties.  My favourite thing is chocolate, so I was planning to give our guests chocolates as the favours.

• rktorkto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our ceremony is Iranian but we are incorporating some traditional North American things in there too - like Dad walking me down the aisle. 
    we are having Xmas crackers as our favour - and if everythign works the way I want it to - we will all open them together and there wil be a big CRACK.
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's the little things I guess...
    - FI and I are seeing each other before the ceremony and heading to the church together
    - Our priest is making us each write a letter to him about ourselves, our FI, and our life goals to make a great personalized ceremony, and we have to sit FACING the congregation (I am so going to burst out laughing at an inappropriate moment)
    - Our table numbers will actually be the names of streets in and around the city (for example - my parents table will be Queen Street, FI's parents will be King Street, etc.)
    - Our first dance is a more uptempo song that we love
    - We have a live band since our venue is an old concert hall and FI and I love music
    - For our parent dances, we are using our parents original wedding songs, and only dancing with each parent for about a minute, and then bringing the other half (ie - mom will come onto the dance floor for the father-daughter dance), and take over the dance with one another.
    - We are having a late night station similar to food we would have after a night out on the town in university together - little poutines, sandwiches, burgers, etc., just what people want after lots of drinking!
    - We are having a big family brunch the next day to say thank you to the wedding party and family involved

Nothing crazy, I'm attempting lots of DIY, and just the fact that it's me and FI will make it perfectly special to us!
  • Alice81410Alice81410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My fiance and I are getting married on our 12-year dating anniversary. That's our favorite part of the wedding that makes it even more special for the both of us :)

• edited December 2011
    We are getting married on our anniversary as well, it will be our 2nd anniversary, but we've known each other for 22 years.  It's a 2nd marriage for me and a 1st for him (but he was in a long term relationship as well).  He has 2 children and I have 3 and they will all be a part of the wedding.  Our 3 boys will be groomsman, my daughter is a jr. bridesmaid and his daughter is a flower girl.

I have done all the stationary myself and all the favors.  I made CD's with all our wedding songs as one favor and candles with our names and date as the other.  I'm doing all the outdoor decor and I'm hand painting some of the song lyrics from my processional song and our names and date on my aisle runner.  We are doing a sand ceremony to symbolize the blending our our 2 families.

Our wedding color is red, which is very symbolic because he proposed on Valentines Day last year, and because my birthstone is a garnet and my original e-ring was a beautiful garnet ring.  It is too unique to pair with a wedding band, so I will wear it on my right hand and we bought a set for me when we went wedding band shopping.

All our musique is going to be very unique, nothing traditional at all...  :)
    We both have very eclectic musical tastes.  The attendants processional is Angel of Mine by Evanescence and my processional is Somebody by Depeche Mode.  We went to see a Depeche Mode concert together in 1998 as friends so it's fitting for us and it's a beautiful song.  I have changed the lyrics for the last part of the song and I'm going to record a version of me singing it to be played as I walk down the aisle.  I know I'll be too emotional to sing it as I'm walking so the recorded CD will be the way to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards