Wedding Etiquette Forum

Soldering rings together?

My jeweler has strongly recommended that I have my rings soldered together after the wedding.  He is also a good family friend, so I do trust his opinion.  He said that it greatly reduces "wear and tear" from the rings rubbing together.

At first, I was all for it.  I really can't think of many scenarios where I would really need to wear only one of the rings. But now, i'm second guessing it. I kind of like knowing that i would at least have the option of taking one off but not the other, should the need arise (even if it never actually does).  But of course I also want to protect my rings as best as I can.

Did you solder yours together?  If so, are you happy with it?  If you didn't, why not?

Re: Soldering rings together?

• I've had mine soldered since we got married, almost 4 monthd ago. My ering has a half circle of diamonds, and my band matches that, so they were constantly sliding around and you couldn't see the bands matched. I got them done, and I love it.

My friend has a similar set, and she's been married almost two years now, and you can see wear the rings have rubbed together. She actually just dropped them off to be soldered last week because she was tired of how it looked.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • I had mine soldered before the wedding, actually. I absolutely love it and wouldn't change it if I could. I also love that I don't need to worry about them spinning or anything. But mine don't sit flush together, so this may not be a concern for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • whit, that's the other thing that is favorable towards soldering them...my wedding band has channel diamonds that match the channel on my ering, so if they were soldered together i wouldn't have to worry about one slipping to the side and not matching up right.  minor detail, but still...

And I apologize if anything randomly is not capitalized that should be in my posts.  my shift key is being a bit difficult tonight for some reason.
  • Here's a pic:

• I asked about it, if it was a good idea (mine were spinning). The jeweler actually didn't advise that I do it, because there would be a gap between the two (they were not a set, and the e-ring is not flush with my wedding band). Getting them sized down helped a lot, and I take them in every 6 months for "caretaking."
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Mine were a set, and they're still not completely flush. It bugged me at first but it's better than the sliding!
  • I didn't want mine soldered together and I'm glad I didn't.  I like being able to just wear my wedding band.  I don't wear my e-ring to the gym and I wouldn't take it on some of my travels.  My e-ring is fairly delicate and there are a lot of day-to-day things that I do that I don't want to wear my e-ring for.
  • Thanks Whit! pics are always helpful. And i just love any excuse to look at pretty ring pics! You're are gorgeous! similar to mine except mine is a round stone.

i think I'm leaning more towards having them soldered together at this point.  How long did it take?  i like the idea of doing it before the wedding instead of after if I can - thanks shannon!
  • Thanks! I love my rings :) The friend that I was talking about has round stones. It took about two weeks, at a Zales because that's where they're from.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_soldering-rings-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c13ef982-378e-47d4-9ce6-82b48a1e1577Post:4bd1e699-177b-4bd5-8ae5-3000ff7d1279">Re: Soldering rings together?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I asked about it, if it was a good idea (mine were spinning). The jeweler actually didn't advise that I do it, because there would be a gap between the two (they were not a set, and the e-ring is not flush with my wedding band). Getting them sized down helped a lot, and I take them in every 6 months for "caretaking."
    Posted by missy68[/QUOTE]

Mine aren't a set either, but from what I remember they sat pretty well flush against each other.  i haven't seen the wedding band since I ordered it. It's being held hostage in IN right now.  I was too paranoid to have it shipped to me, so it will stay at the store until I get back to town to pick it up myself.
  • It's actually a really good idea to solder just because when they spin/rub/etc. it will actually wear the metal down.  It can do some serious damage over time...  I've seen it myself with older wedding sets. 
  • Thanks ladies! Always know I can count on you for feedback :)

I think I'm going to call the jeweler tomorrow to see if it would be doable before the wedding with the timing of me arriving to town, but I'm 90% sure I'm going to have it done.

For now, I'm off to bed - back to the work grind tomorrow.  At least it'll be Tuesday already instead of Monday!  Hope everyone had a fabulous long weekend! (for those in the states, anyway)
  • I didn't have mine soldered together. My rings fit snugly enough on my finger that they don't do a great deal of sliding. I'm glad that I didn't have them soldered together because I'm almost a bit tired of my engagement ring. It's quite a bit thicker and heavier than my wedding band and I fidgit with it constantly. Most of the time that I'm at work I'm not wearing them because I fidgit with them so much it starts to irritate my finger. But anyway... At this point, I would much rather wear the wedding band solo. H isn't biting on that idea though.
  • I didn't, and I'm glad I didn't. I like to be able to wear my wedding band alone when it's convenient--especially since my fingers swell A LOT when I'm active, and my e-ring becomes uncomfortably tight. In fact, when I'm hot, I can't slip both rings off at the same time. I have to take off the e-ring and then the wedding band, or they get stuck. If they had been soldered together, they'd get stuck a lot.
  • I am a nurse and some places require you to only wear your wedding band for patient safety reasons.  So I will not be soldering. Also if I was to do outdoor activities such a camping, rafting or hiking I would just wear the band and leave my big diamond at home.

Hope this helps!
  • I am not getting mine soldered together any time soon.

I'm planning on teaching theatre, which includes painting and building sets. I will probably wear my wedding band most days, but not my e-ring.

They don't slide too bad now, only when I'm cold.
  • I'm soldering mine together, especially because the wedding band fits around the diamond with two rubys, and you can't wear it by itself (it would have a wierd gap in the middle) I also have small fingers, so I have problems with my engagement ring spinning, and I don't want to worry about that with my wedding ring.

One of my friends got hers soldered before the wedding, and went to clair's and got a fake diamond ring for 10 bucks, just so she would have something on her finger before the weddiing =) I thought that was a cute idea
  • I'm soldering mine together, especially because the wedding band fits around the diamond with two rubys, and you can't wear it by itself (it would have a wierd gap in the middle) I also have small fingers, so I have problems with my engagement ring spinning, and I don't want to worry about that with my wedding ring.

One of my friends got hers soldered before the wedding, and went to clair's and got a fake diamond ring for 10 bucks, just so she would have something on her finger before the weddiing =) I thought that was a cute idea
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards