Christian Weddings

Mini-vent

Hi ladies,

I'm certainly not a "regular" on this board, though I've been a lurker. I've been married for a little over 4 months, so I moved over to the nest boards. I have found that a lot of the ladies over there are extremely judgemental and often have nothing nice to say. I posted a tiny something about how I was listening to the first dance song from my wedding, which was Love Is Not A Fight by Warrne Barfield and mentioned that it was in the movie Fireproof. The few responses I got where:
 "I hated that movie",
 "I think it's got Kirk Cameron in his new role as Christian values marriage advocate.  It seems he's changed some since his Growing Pains days... "
"I'm assuming a christian singer too then. I'm not surprised either one flew under my athiest radar. "

Anyways, I'm just finding more and more that anyone who has any sort of Christian values gets criticized and put down. The ladies over there often get their kicks making fun of others and encouraging divorce and abortion. I'm certainly not a perfect Christan by any means, I make mistakes and sin just like everyone else, but I find myself overwhelmed by all the negativity. I guess I just wanted to vent to people who would understand my point of view and not bash me for it. Thanks for "listening"
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Mini-vent

• mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know how you feel and I am glad there are a few boards on here where you can write freely and if people disagree with you, you won't get virtually attacked.
  • tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard several horror stories about The Nest! I'm NEVER going over there.
  • edited December 2011
    I am sorry that you had to deal with that. My fiance and I talk sometimes about how, in this culture, being a Christian and doing what's right in God's eyes is almost viewed as a weakness to some people. When the media shows us so many people who go against everything we stand for as Christians, it's hard to convince others that God is the most important thing. Don't let them get you down over there. Be who you are and know that you are most likely a lot happier than those who don't have Jesus in their lives. Try to help those people as much as you can, but if it gets to be too much, just come over here and talk to us!    :)
  • edited December 2011
    It can be hard to go to a place where you are the only one shining that light -- and we need our place where we can let our light shine without negativity too.  Thanks for sharing your experience, we're a good listening bunch!  This is honestly the first message board I've really ever done beyond the apartment reviews that I submitted a long time ago, so I don't know if I'll ever go to The Nest, but I do lurk on the threads like the coupon board and my local board.  :-) 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to "hear" that there was so much negativity.  I think it is interesting how there is sometimes a double standard of free reign on picking on Christians but no tolerance for picking on other religions or the absence of religion. As the other ladies said, you are welcome here and if you post something about listening to your first dance song, you'll get a warmer reception.  Hope to see you around here more.
    edited December 2011
    By the way, where do you live?  I'm from NY and have lived in Oneonta, near Potsdam, Syracuse, near Rochester and Plattsburgh so I've probably heard of your town!
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I pretty much hate these forums. This is the only decent one I have found on the whole site where no one has said anything ugly to/about me since I have been here! And it's only when I answer OP's question. Someone mentioned this board at about the same time that I was unable to keep from being unkind right back, and I haven't really posted on any of the other ones since. Sounds like I will be avoiding the Nest, too! lol.

And yes, there is definitely a double standard when it comes to the Christian belief system, though I understand a lot of us bring it on ourselves with twisting God's words to fit our own agendas and justify our own hate. I try very hard to make others see me as loving.

Anyway, I don't have a high post count (as pointed out to me by someone on another board to justify their rudeness in some way) and I have only just showed up here but I am happy to see that you think of us here as different and kind and not judgmental and obnoxious :D
  • MissyCeeMissyCee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all your kind responses, it really made me feel good! When I go over there and get attached for things like telling a woman she shouldn't get an abortion I get frustrated. I hardly even look at the boards now because it's pointless to allow the negativity of those ladies to bring me any unhappiness.

Joesgurl, I completely agree that there is a double standard. Nowadays, it's ok to make fun of Christians but nobody better dare say a negative world about muslims. It's unbelievable what the world is coming to.

Oh and I'm from Glens Falls, about 45 minutes north of Albany. We were actually mentioned on the Today Show the other day for beating a record by getting down to -27 degrees the other night. Brrrrr!

Jessieleigh- I know what you mean, if your post count isn't up to par, your opinion is deemed worthless. It's amazing how catty people get over that number, a number which in no way gives a person's post any more or less value.

Again, thank you to everyone, my faith in humanity is restored! LOL And I'm sure I'll be around more, it's nice to be around positive woman who are friendly and share similiar values/opinions Laughing
    edited December 2011

Missy - my Aunt lives in Hudson Falls and both of her sons went to school there.  My uncle teaches music at Queensbury.  We got married in Silver Bay (north end of Lake George).  Actually Cindy Murphy (from South Glens Falls) made our wedding cake.  So I'm pretty familiar with Glens Falls.

Stay warm.

• twixinthemixtwixinthemix member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey everyone!  I'm a once in a while poster but mostly a lurker here (I should change that though!).  I'm from Indiana, BUT....I worked at Silver Bay for the past 4 summers and am going on their for the "2nd leg" of our honeymoon to volunteer.  What a small world!!  Joesgirl--Did Bruce officiate your wedding??

To get back to the original topic....yes, there are certainly some nasty people on the boards on the knot.  Some of them have been married for several years now, and I dont' understand why some of them continue to post.  I think a few of them need to honestly get off of their high horse and move on :-\  I haven't been on the nest boards, and now I'm a little scared to!  Shouldn't there be a Christian board?  If not, there should be!!

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Erin has read 1 book toward her goal of 25 books.
    hide
    Follow Me on Pinterest Married Bio and For Sale! Updated 12/23
    "And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011
    edited December 2011
    No - our best man's wife was my DH's pastor growing up and she performed the ceremony at the chapel.  My siggy pic is from there - do you recognize the boathouse in the background?  It's so cool that you've worked there.  I loved getting married there (but the prices have almost doubled since we got married - YIKES!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards