Christian Weddings
Options

worry. :/

My fiance just recently went through some hard times, his sister died a few months ago and his grandfather a year before. When I first met him he got babtized, was reading the bible every night and praying to God. Now though I feel like he is slipping. He has stopped attending church regularly, he rarely prays, and I haven't seen him open a bible in a long time. He is trusting God in more though in finances and other situations and he is preaching to the people at his work. I am worried that he is drawing away from God due to the hardships he is facing but at the same time I see him doing things for God and trusting in Him. Are my worries vallid, or just that, worries? What should I do to help him to get back into the Word and to pray again?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: worry. :/

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree you should be concerned, I don't want to be super obvious, but are you praying for him about these issues? When I go through periods in which I am not talking to God I don't do so well spiritually, which makes sense because if you aren't going to the source of life you're going to have a hard time. Have you tried talking to him about your concerns?
  • Options
    AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you should be too worried. I think a lot of people go through times when it seems everything is going wrong and they feel like God is punishing them for it.  I know I do, and so does my FI.  I think that he will ultimately come back around, but I know from experience with my FI that it's not something to push him back into.  He needs to make the decision to get back into it himself, but until then, you can pray for him and ask him if he maybe wants to do a daily devotional with you. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you already have a relationship where you are comfortable holding each other accountable in quiet times? If you don't, then I think starting now would be awkward and difficult.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I mean, you should be concerned if this continues longterm (I can't tell whether this has been a long time thing or not) but as poster below says, everyone has ups and downs in walking with God. I stil think it's not a bad idea to ask him if he's OK, why he isn't attending church regularly anymore, that's not too personal of a question (not on the level of holding him accountable for quiet times).

By the way, how do you know he doesn't pray or read his Bible, maybe he wants to do it in private because his quiet times have become more painful or intimate or something.
  • Options
    cnreccnrec member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been praying for him but I am afraid to talk to him because I don't want to be push and make things worse. We have never really talked abou tholding eachother accountable so I am not sure if he is comfrotable enough for me to do that. I know he isn't reading the bible because I have asked him and I guess I was just assuming on the praying (thank yo ufor pointing that out!) I didn't thin kabout asking him to help me with a daily devotional! Thank you guys for the guidance!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_worry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:ef8564b8-5dc6-4517-99e8-8fa631d8d629Post:5ac84638-6173-4224-8877-0e2480bc7448">Re: worry. :/</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been praying for him but I<strong> am afraid to talk to him because I don't want to be push and make things worse</strong>. We have never really talked abou tholding eachother accountable so I am not sure if he is comfrotable enough for me to do that. I know he isn't reading the bible because I have asked him and I guess I was just assuming on the praying (thank yo ufor pointing that out!) I didn't thin kabout asking him to help me with a daily devotional! Thank you guys for the guidance!
    Posted by cnrec[/QUOTE]

As a wife, sometimes we have to "push" our husbands in certain areas. As long as you come across as supportive, I don't think he would get upset. Sometimes we all have struggle with our faith but we need our loved ones to help us.

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards