Wedding Etiquette Forum

Is it ok to have guests RSVP via website only?

So I need some advice about how to have guests RSVP for our wedding. Being 2012 we figure most people have internet access. Is it ok to direct guests to our wedding website to RSVP instead of the traditional way of sending the RSVP card with envelop and stamp with the invites? It's not a matter of saving money with the stamp costs, we're just trying to keep our wedding as green as we can. We just don't want to offend anyone in the process. Any advice??

Re: Is it ok to have guests RSVP via website only?

• I typically shy away from online RSVPs, but with that said, if people know you are green or you are having a more casual affair, I think it's fine.  I have a friend who is very green, and I would have been surprised if she did send a paper RSVP.  They set up a Gmail address specifically for people to RSVP to, and she said it worked great
  • Maybe include the RSVP cards for the people who won't likely be able to/know how to RSVP electronically?  I know a large percentage of my FI's family doesn't even own a computer, yet alone know how to use one.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-ok-to-have-guests-rsvp-via-website-only?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7a530980-0d23-42bb-8295-ab1d8402e569Post:66553a27-a4f1-4788-9b0e-e750336b96ea">Is it ok to have guests RSVP via website only?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I need some advice about how to have guests RSVP for our wedding. <strong>Being 2012 we figure most people have internet access.</strong> Is it ok to direct guests to our wedding website to RSVP instead of the traditional way of sending the RSVP card with envelop and stamp with the invites? It's not a matter of saving money with the stamp costs, we're just trying to keep our wedding as green as we can. We just don't want to offend anyone in the process. Any advice??
    Posted by jesswaldorf[/QUOTE]

That's not a smart assumption to make. Do you know for a fact that every single one of your guests has Internet access?
  • edited April 2012
    I think it depends on your guest list dynamic. If you want to still keep it green add another alternative - give a phone number to call for guests who are not as comfortable with the internet.
  • I did email only.  It worked out fine.  You might have to make a couple of calls, but that's not the end of the world.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • I'd also give a phone number alternative, just in case.
  • My invitations had a barcode at the bottom that our guests could scan with their smartphones and took them directly to our wedding website where they could RSVP.

This did 2 things: Allowed guests to RSVP online instead of having to remember to send the RSVP cards through the mail and lets them see our wedding website for info. they need (directions, maps, hotel info. etc). Most of our guests are pretty tech saavy and have a computer so we are thinking this will work out just fine.

We will make calls about 2 weeks prior to those that haven't responded to get a more accurate headcount.
  • I think it depends on the level of internet savvy of your guests.  None of our grandparents would have been able to RSVP online. 

If you have a particularly tech-savvy guest list and a less formal wedding, i think it's fine.

Just be prepared to have to follow up with more people than you might have to otherwise.
  • In Response to Re:Is it ok to have guests RSVP via website only?:[QUOTE]My invitations had a barcode at the bottom that our guests could scan with their smartphones and took them directly to our wedding website where they could RSVP. This did 2 things: Allowed guests to RSVP online instead of having to remember to send the RSVP cards through the mail and lets them see our wedding website for info. they need directions, maps, hotel info. etc. Most of our guests are pretty tech saavy and have a computer so we are thinking this will work out just fine.nbsp;We will make calls about 2 weeks prior to those that haven't responded to get a more accurate headcount. Posted by rkw0717[/QUOTE]

How!?! How do you get that icon scan thing? Does it work for any website, ie: the knot's free website, or what web company did you use? And how do you get the barcode thing on the invitations? I want this sooo bad!! PLEASE SHARE!!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • In Response to Re: Is it ok to have guests RSVP via website only?:
    [QUOTE]My invitations had a barcode at the bottom that our guests could scan with their smartphones and took them directly to our wedding website where they could RSVP. This did 2 things: Allowed guests to RSVP online instead of having to remember to send the RSVP cards through the mail and lets them see our wedding website for info. they need (directions, maps, hotel info. etc). Most of our guests are pretty tech saavy and have a computer so we are thinking this will work out just fine.   We will make calls about 2 weeks prior to those that haven't responded to get a more accurate headcount.
    Posted by rkw0717[/QUOTE]
    Holy hightech!!!

OP, I'd at least include a phone number along with the web address for people to RSVP.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-ok-to-have-guests-rsvp-via-website-only?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7a530980-0d23-42bb-8295-ab1d8402e569Post:d2d39ff4-0817-4f87-8652-19f88a277e88">Re: Is it ok to have guests RSVP via website only?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe include the RSVP cards for the people who won't likely be able to/know how to RSVP electronically?  I know a large percentage of my FI's family doesn't even own a computer, yet alone know how to use one.
    Posted by erbear84[/QUOTE]

This is a GREAT idea! I was a little worried because we do have some guests that may not be too web savvy or do not have internet access. This is a good way to go about solving that issue. Thanks! 
  • LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I had to RSVP for my MIL recently for a family wedding, because she couldn't get to their website.  Personally, I don't like the online-only option,

Consider your audience, and include a phone number or card for guests who might not be savvy with a wedding website.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • RYLZRYLZ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-ok-to-have-guests-rsvp-via-website-only?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7a530980-0d23-42bb-8295-ab1d8402e569Post:66553a27-a4f1-4788-9b0e-e750336b96ea">Is it ok to have guests RSVP via website only?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I need some advice about how to have guests RSVP for our wedding. <strong>Being 2012 we figure most people have internet access</strong>. Is it ok to direct guests to our wedding website to RSVP instead of the traditional way of sending the RSVP card with envelop and stamp with the invites? It's not a matter of saving money with the stamp costs, we're just trying to keep our wedding as green as we can. We just don't want to offend anyone in the process. Any advice??
    Posted by jesswaldorf[/QUOTE]

We did mostly e-RSVPs but included hard copy RSVPs for a few significantly older guests that we knew didn't have computers.  Also, since we didn't want to make the assumption about internet access, our rule was to include a hard copy RSVP for anyone we didn't have an email address for.  We figured if we didn't have one for them (and couldn't easily find one out from anyone else) that might be a good indication they weren't big internet users.  Out of 197 guests, we only had to send out about a dozen RSVP cards.
    Edit: spelling
  • Thanks everyone for your input and advice! I love the idea of sending a few RSVP cards in the invitation to the guests that are questionable in regards to online RSVPing. And I'm ok making a few extra follow up phone calls in the end. Thanks again!
  • I did website, email, and phone #. We had to call several people but I'm pretty sure they would have needed a call anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-ok-to-have-guests-rsvp-via-website-only?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7a530980-0d23-42bb-8295-ab1d8402e569Post:b59fba21-ee67-4df0-918e-7861a42c8213">Re: Is it ok to have guests RSVP via website only?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it ok to have guests RSVP via website only? : If she knew for a fact that 100% of them had internet access, I doubt she would have said in the OP that she "figures most" have it.
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

I read that as "in 2012 most people living in first-world nations have internet access," not "in 2012 most of my guests have internet access."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards