Washington-Seattle

Hmmm, registry dilemma...

I was approached by a friend who wants to throw me a bridal shower, which I think is a lovely idea and so sweet of her. My problem is that we haven't sorted out our registry yet. We're getting in married on Maui, I'm in Seattle and I'll be moving to the UK after the wedding to be with my FI, so we don't want to have to take a whole lot of "stuff" with me when I move over. A big part of most showers I've been to has been opening presents, so I don't know what to do!  We certainly can't register for electronics, but I can't imagine moving a bunch of kitchen stuff over either.  Any ideas/advice?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hmmm, registry dilemma...

• dreamwindsdreamwinds member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could ask for a lingerie bridal shower if that's your cup of tea?
    imageLilypie Maternity tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Ooohhh that's a good idea.

Only other thing I could think of would be a honeymoon registry....or they have one called a Gift A Home Registry that goes towards a down payment on a house....but lots of people are against these types of registries.

What about gift cards? Idk. It's hard because there's so much controversy over asking for cash gifts....but how would you get things over to the UK....idk. Tough situation.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmmm... that is a tough one.  Dreamwinds and Kinmir have great ideas.  I would go the lingerie way myself.
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • Reilly2BeReilly2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe have your friend mention in passing that you're going to have a hard time taking all of your "stuff" with you and that gift cards would be helpful. It keeps you from directly asking for gift cards and cash. If you end up with gifts hopefully you can take them back for cash or store credit and you can order what you like when you get settled into your new home. Smile
  • meganhardanmeganhardan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would do a lingerie shower!  But, if you're not up for that, I would maybe register somewhere, but rely on word of mouth for your family and friends to spread the word that you would really prefer cash.

• dreamwindsdreamwinds member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would hesitate on gift cards if only because not every store here has the equivalent in the UK and sometimes gift cards are not country-transferrable even if the same stores exist.
    imageLilypie Maternity tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to all kinds of showers including a recipe one where people gave recipe cards and cooking tips.  However, assuming you want "gifts" I think the lingerie is a great idea.  If your FI is already in UK can you use his address for shipping?  Perhaps some people would want to send things there - then wrap a picture of the gift up for you to open. 

Another idea would be for you to create your own registry of things that would help you with the wedding - I think wishpot.com lets you add just about anything to it.  You could put mani/pedi, massage or other spa treatments on there, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    You could do lingerie and then have a killer Boudoir shoot! Wink
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • zoiesmurfzoiesmurf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you decide on the lingerie shower, I learned last night that the Macy's in Lynnwood is starting a lingerie registry as a test pilot. They'll keep your wishes on file and other Macy's in the area can call and get your list from the Alderwood location. :)
    December 2011 Weddings September Siggy: Shoes
    Vintage shoes I found at an antique store about 10 years ago :)

CIMG0051

Retro/Vintage Siggy Challenge: Favorite Vintage Movie
    sabrina

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • TashaK24TashaK24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, thanks for all the ideas ladies!  I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with lingerie, since it'll be work friends, friends AND my family... but I'll think about it, it could be fun!  I don't even necessarily want or expect gifts, I just want to be prepared for when the questions come. I like the cooking tips/recipes idea, I love cooking/baking!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You can register for gift cards to places in the UK, or amazon uk, if you have a friend who could take the gifts over there just have them mailed to that person. We are registering with our photographer so people can donate to that as well. 
  • BrideCa2011BrideCa2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     you could always do a registry that includes "things" but in the end you get cash?  I know not everyone loves these type of "Wish" registry, but you still register for items (we are using one- www.uponourstar.com)  because we want to register for some big items for our fixer upper (furniture, cabinets, etc). 

You can do a more traditional B&M one too- but this might eliminate a lot of tangible stuff to lug and people can still buy household stuff they find more traditional? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards