Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

What's the 411 on Primer?

Keep in mind I'm a non-make-up wearer, so this might be a silly question, but:

What is primer? Is it a wedding day beauty must?

Have you used it, and what brand do you recommend?

Thanks!

Re: What's the 411 on Primer?

• Options
    Makeup primer is my best friend.  I use it every single time I wear makeup. 

I have used many, and the face primer that I'm using now is one by Fusion Beauty that has hyaluronic acid in it.  I have very dry skin, so hyaluronic acid helps my skin retain moisture during the day. 

There are many eye shadow primers that I've used, but I think probably the two more popular are Urban Decay Primer Potion and Too Faced Shadow Insurance. 

Are you looking for face primer or eye primer?  And if you're looking for face primer... what type of skin do you have? Oily, dry, combo? 
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    Face, I think... Can that also be used on your lids (sounds like, no).
    I have combination skin, prone to brake out.
  • Options
    Hi Mountaingirl, I have been a makeup artist for six years and I find makeup primer is essential because it makes your makeup last longer. There are many different primers that are good for reducing redness, better for larger pores, fills in fine lines, etc. The best overall primer that I have had experience with is photo finish from smashbox. Another item to look into would be makeup setting spray. Model in a bottle is a good one. Hope this helps
  • Options
    Primer for your wedding day would essentially just make it look a lot better in pictures. I use primer for my face and eyes (actually a creme eyeshadown :-D) when I'm welding and have to do something after, and it stays on all day, and that's saying a lot. You can also get lip primer, but a quality lip balm works well. I'm a total Mary Kay addict as far as skincare, and I know they have an oily/combo skin foundation primer. If you know someone who sells Mary Kay (or Avon or BeautiControl), ask them for a sample so you don't have to buy the whole thing if you are only planning on using it once or twice. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "Love? above all things I believe in love. Love is like oxygen. Love is a many splendored thing. Love lifts us up where we belong... All you need is love!" - Moulin Rouge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgs44BVIMnU
  • Options
    Urban Decay Primer Potion (eyeshadow primer) is the best! My eyeshadow will stay put without creasing for 24 hours when I use it--no exaggeration.
  • Options
    Urban Decay Eye Primer.  I cant live without it!
  • Options
    Moutaingirl--yes, you need a different primer for face & eyes.  Urban Decay also makes a face primer that you'd probably like.  There are 2, one is "pore perfecting" and one is "skin brightening."  You want the pore perfecting.  They also make a product called "Deslick in a Tube" that is technically not a primer, but you can use it for one on oily skin.

Another primer to check out is FusionBeauty's Acne primer.  it has .5% salicylic acid in it.  Too Faced's primer has a small percentage of retinol in it that would help a bit with breakouts as well.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    It is a must for your wedding day! There are primers for pretty much everything-- eyes, face, lips, lashes. Definitely get the face and eye ones. They help your makeup stay on and will make your eyeshadow color pop. I second the makeup setting spray as well. I've used the Urban Decay one. Try the little trial sized bottle before buying the big one, though. If you don't like it, then you've only spent $9.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I also give my vote of confidence for Urban Decay eye primer - I have oily skin, especially around my eyes.  If I don't use primer, my eyeshadow/eyeliner are gone within hours and my mascara is smudged.  With the primer, they last all day

I also use a face primer - it helps my foundation go on smoother, helps control oil and helps keep my face from melting
    there are SO many options out there - my recommendation would be to go to Sephora, talk to a salesgirl about your skin and what you need and ask her for a couple samples.  Sephora is awesome about giving out generous samples (usually good for quite a few uses) - you can try each of the samples and pick your favourite, then use whats left of the sample on your wedding day
  • Options
    For eyes, I like Urban Decay Primer Potion.  For the face, I like Make Up Forever HD primer in 0.  My skin tone is even, so I don't use any of their correcting primers. However, some people really like them.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards