October 2013 Weddings
Options

Dr. Martens under my Dress?

Ever since I was a teenager I've joked when I get married I'm having knee high dr. martens under my dress when I get married. I sorta shoved that idea under the rug for a pair of nike mary janes in the spring. I ordered a pail online but the company found a flaw and shipped them back to Nike. I had been looking at flats and heels. Heels because they're elegant, flats because I'm arthritic and heels are not my friend. My fiance also loves me in flats. I've spent months hemming and hawing over shoes. The ones I like are all 100-200 in price for heels, and I cant find purple flats I like. If I buy heels I just cant justify that price because the chance they'll be reworn inpretty much 0 which really bothers me. Flats the chance on being reworn depends on the material, but satins dont hold up well so even their lifespan is limited.

Well about 2 weeks ago a friend of mine posted a pair of purple velvet dr martens. Instant LOVE and the first thought was I could shove those under my ivory wedding dress! Now I want to contact Dr. Marten directly because in the past they've done special orders and I'd like to see if I can special order a knee high pair which will cost me probably 200-300 dollars. However I can justify this cost because I LOVE Dr. Martens, they last forever, if the velvet is treated they will last for years, and I will rewear them. If I cant get knee high I'm still considering the boots but with really funky lacey stockings or something.

Now I know this is not everyone's cup of tea but I'm a little off kilter. My theme is Nightmare Before Christmas, and well I wear a lot of boots particularly in the winter. Dr. Martens are also coming back in style. I have 2 pairs currently that I've started wearing again, both are over 10 years old (one is 16) they look new. Attached is a photo of my dress, note the slhoulder straps will be taken off the shoulder like Belle's dress from Beauty and the Beast. The other attachment are the boots I'm considering. I think its almost victorian esk, and will be cute especially in photos, but I just want to make sure I'm not nuts! Note I will also probably be having honey moon photos done with a short white dress at Epcot, hence why I'm going to try to get knee highs, but these boots will be used in those photos too probably. So thoughts ladies?

DIStickers.com Ticker

Re: Dr. Martens under my Dress?

• Options
    I'm a lover and collector of Docs - I had many pairs in middle school/high school, and although they are generally not my style at all now as an adult, I still love them. 

I'm actually wearing a pair of 8 hole navy leather boots today since it was raining and no one is around our office due to the upcoming holiday.

But, I really dislike non-formal shoes under a formal wedding gown. People do it all the time, and I'm just not in love with the idea. I recently went to a wedding with a groom in a tux with tails, top hat and cane...and converse all stars. Not going to lie, it bothered me. It's a big formal event (it was even black tie!) and the groom was in sneakers. I don't get it.

Your wedding is a bit different with a different theme and out of the box location, but I would still vote to go with a formal shoe.

That being said, buy the velvet docs anyway if you love them!  But don't use wearing them at a wedding as a justification, ya know?

Just my vote. Keep it classy and dressy.  Get the docs to wear for other times though if you love them!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    We maybe doing a great deal of walking too hence my consideration of this shoe. I'm not kidding when I say arthritic :). My fiance actually likes the idea of boots or moccosins under my dress, he thinks boots are more fitting though. FI has a pair of combat boots as well I am considering trying to con him into them for our wedding or flame tipped shoes.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options

To each their own but I have to agree. Your dress is stunning and it is probably the most formal gown you will ever wear.

I feel like non-formal shoes ruin the whole look. If you want to go with flats, then go for it. You can find comfortable, elegant flats within your budget. My sister just wore white ballet flats and it looked great.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    As much as it is easy to follow the status quo and be like what everyone expects you to be as a bride I say go for your dream!!!! Heck we may not get it but if it means anything to you it means more than my pretty formal shoes will ever mean to me. Make your wedding yours or else it falls victim to the Wedding Magazine Syndrome. ; I vote follow your heart! Not te peer pressure
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickersLilySlim Weight loss tickers Check out My Blog
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Dr. Martens under my Dress?:[QUOTE]We maybe doing a great deal of walking too hence my consideration of this shoe. I'm not kidding when I say arthritic :. My fiance actually likes the idea of boots or moccosins under my dress, he thinks boots are more fitting though. FI has a pair of combat boots as well I am considering trying to con him into them for our wedding or flame tipped shoes. Posted by dewingedpixie[/QUOTE]

This! Lol you and your fianc are what matter in your wedding, not the spectators
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickersLilySlim Weight loss tickers Check out My Blog
  • Options
    dewingedpixiedewingedpixie member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_dr-martens-under-my-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:b0075ee4-6d1e-479b-9ab3-20a794bfc3fbPost:00fded52-909f-4240-a060-aab94d8474e6">Re: Dr. Martens under my Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I say go for it.  Those docs are really awersome looking. I don't see the issue with not wearing heels, specially if you never wear heels.
    Posted by snippet17[/QUOTE]

I agree I've always been a sucker for velvet its so plush! I'd probably redo the laces as ribbon.

I do wear heels. I have 2 pairs of kitten heels for work, and about 6 pairs of stillettos which were bought before the arthritis went into my feet hard core. I wear the stillettos maybe twice a year and carry a set of flats with me because my time wearing them is maybe 1-2 hours tops. The kitten heels I typically avoid walking long distances in. Some flats even really bug my feet. Its why at the house I'm primarily barefoot/in slippers.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    dewingedpixiedewingedpixie member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_dr-martens-under-my-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:b0075ee4-6d1e-479b-9ab3-20a794bfc3fbPost:9b8019fa-84c2-494c-be45-10cd56a3ac06">Re:Dr. Martens under my Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Dr. Martens under my Dress?: This! Lol you and your fianc are what matter in your wedding, not the spectators
    Posted by GoldenCityDreamer[/QUOTE]

I do agree with you on this, and He thinks its cute. We're a little odd. One example is that we have a very strange scupture in our house that we just aquired it looks well to many a little disturbing. Its a monster made of metal on rings with one eye made from a gasket. My father just stared at it and looked a little disturbed, he was not a fan but not surprised. He declared it creepy. We personally think its cute, he not so much.

Hell my fiance presented my engagement ring in a box made from a real beetle, so really I cant claim to be normal when my goal is to have my house like that shop on Oddities.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    I'm planning on changing my shoes out of heels and into Converse for my reception, because we're going to have a party and I know my feet will be hurting after a while. My FI will be wearing a tux (with tails) for the ceremony, because he owns a tux with tails (and he wants to wear it again). He'll be changing into Converse for the reception as well. That's very, "us", so, it works for us.

So, if Doc Martens (ps LOVE the boots) are you, I say go for it. You'll be a lot happier if you're comfortable!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_dr-martens-under-my-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:b0075ee4-6d1e-479b-9ab3-20a794bfc3fbPost:9281a429-6936-4cfb-9525-c22403fece23">Re: Dr. Martens under my Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm planning on changing my shoes out of heels and into Converse for my reception, because we're going to have a party and I know my feet will be hurting after a while. My FI will be wearing a tux (with tails) for the ceremony, because he owns a tux with tails (and he wants to wear it again). He'll be changing into Converse for the reception as well. That's very, "us", so, it works for us. So, if Doc Martens (ps LOVE the boots) are you, I say go for it. You'll be a lot happier if you're comfortable!
    Posted by lplions[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>i completely agree with this. my fi wants to do all stars for him and the wedding party. that being said i want to do docs or all stars. i found a pair of docs i like but can't justify with myself spending 300 on shoes.</div><div>Do what makes you happy.</div>
  • Options
    I am getting married this year on halloween and will be wearing a black 10-eye pair under my dress. Go for it.
  • Options
    kind of off topic- but i have arthritis as well! i was diagnosed when i was 11 years old.  how long have you had it? what type do you have? i have rheumatoid.  if you dont mind me asking.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kind of off topic- but i have arthritis as well! i was diagnosed when i was 11 years old.  how long have you had it? what type do you have? i have rheumatoid.  if you dont mind me asking.
    Just fyi, the OP moved her wedding date. She's having her PPD in Feb 2014, so I think she's been posting there. I'm not sure she checks this thread any more, which is why I'm telling you that.
  • Options
    Nothing like resurrecting a super old thread......

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards