Kentucky-Louisville

Outdoor wedding in October?

I have my heart set on an outdoor fall wedding. So far, the only venue that is appropriate for me is St. James Court. Originally my wedding date was going to be either October 2 or 9th of 2010. However, I called today for availability, and the only dates that are available at this time is Friday, October 8th or Saturday, October 16th. The question is.... am I completely crazy if I plan an outdoor ceremony in Louisville in the middle of October?! It will be a short civil ceremony (no more than 25 minutes tops) with about 200 guests. I really have my heart set on this place, but I don't want to make my guests suffer....and in October in Kentucky, you never know what the weather is going to be! I would like to have a tent and heaters as a backup, but that is definitely not within my budget. HELP!!!

Re: Outdoor wedding in October?

• squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Please have a backup plan.  Sometimes it's warm enough, but not always.  If you can't do a tent & heaters as backup, I'd really recommend looking for other venues.  There are lots of lovely ones around - I'm sure you can find something you love just as much.  That way, your guests will still love you too, and won't be smurf blue by the end of the ceremony.Also - keep in mind your guests will arrive early & be seated for a bit before the ceremony starts.  Just sitting still for that amount of time in almost any October weather will likely have them a bit chilly.  Particularly since typical wedding attire isn't so warm.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • SomethinBluSomethinBlu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry for the long reply! I had an outdoor fall wedding and I loved it. We looked for two years one time it was a heat wave the other year it was perfect this year it got cold early. Our guest left a bit early but everyone still had a really great time. Think about what time of the day you can have your wedding. The days should be fairly warm in early october.I had a vision of what I wanted and didnt do a back up plan. There was technically a back up but the back-up was not the vision that I had planned for WAY TOO LONG (I admit that). So as the day approached  the forecast went from rainy to cold I was STRESSED. So my advice is to plan a wedding in which you would be equally happy with the back-up because you won't know what the weather will give you.  My mom's advice is why stress the wedding process with things you have no control of. Also don't expect the trees to have changed colors by early october. The flowers will be gone but the trees will still be green :-/The first weekend of October is always the st. james art show so that's why you can't book St. James court that day.
  • pink starspink stars member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just an FYI - early October 2010, the Equestrian Games will be in KY. Hotels may be uber pricey, as well as vendors may book fast/bump up pricing as well. I originally wanted 10/02, and went to late October for that reason. Also - I went to an outdoor wedding this past Friday, 10/23, and it was windy and FREEZING. It was also at 5:30, so time of day will play a big factor.
    Kelley & Daniel | 10.23.2010
    Photobucket
  • millieandsheamillieandshea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my gosh I didn't even think about that pink stars. My family will be coming frpm Florida and I'm planning for October too. Thanks for the heads up!
  • edited December 2011
    ok im planning on having an outdoor wedding this october coming up and i cant think of any color or nothing can someone give me some ideas.. also i need help with finding a wedding dress that isnt white because i have been married before and i cant wear a white dress.. do you all think that davids bridal would have dresses with color in them and that isnt all white?
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can use any color scheme you like - it doesn't have to be tied to October.

Also - the tradition of not wearing white if you've been married before has been largely lost.  It's not really mandated that you not wear white.  Pick a dress you love, that is beautiful on you, in whatever color best compliments YOU.  Most every designer's dresses come in 2 - 4 different color choices in the white and ivory family.  Any bridal shop, including David's, would be able to help you select an ivory dress, if that's what you're looking for.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    My friend had an outdoor ceremony in October (on the 20th this year).  The reception was in a heated tent.  Just make sure your guests know that the ceremony is outdoors.  I had no idea and wore a strapless dress with a thin shawl.  If i had known I would have worn my black coat with it!  But the sun was out so it wasn't too bad.  I say go for the outdoor ceremony, just make the reception in a heated tent or indoors.  And tell you're guests!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards