Catholic Weddings
Options

Anullment...

OK not to bring the tone down here, I know ya'll are planning your weddings...

This is both my FI and I's second marrige (not to eachother lol) 

He is Catholic, I am Protestant, and we attend a Protestant Church together. (He is non practicing Catholic, I have major issues with the Catholic Church, and the church we attend is more us :)  )

We plan on marrying in a Protestant Church...

He brought up that he has to Annull his first marriage to marry me within a church...I was under the impression that was only within the Catholic Church and not Protestant, I grew up Baptist and have never heard of anyone having to annull their marriage...(asked our pastor and he says that is not a requirement, and that is if we marry in a Catholic Church and not ours)

So if someone can clarify this for me that would be great...I know my FI doesn't want to rehash things that happened in the past...and I honestly think his ex would just take it as a chance to cause a big problem...(she cheated, got pg, remarried as soon as the legal waiting period was up...tried to cause rifts between me and him before)

Thanks for Listening!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Anullment...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The only reason I could see would be for his own piece of mind. If he doesn't get an annullment, he is still married to his ex in the eyes of the Catholic church. It sounds like he doesn't really care what the Catholic church thinks now, so he wouldn't need one if your priest doesn't care. But maybe FI cares more than he is letting on?
  • Options
    edited December 2011

It might also be a good idea to go ahead and get the annullment just in case. Later on down the road he might change his mind and want to get your marriage convalidated by the Church.

25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anullment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c060e8da-1064-4228-aa73-cdc147154eedPost:fe633257-761f-41da-9ee0-89ac68cf838d">Re: Anullment...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>The only reason I could see would be for his own piece of mind. If he doesn't get an annullment, he is still married to his ex in the eyes of the Catholic church. </strong>It sounds like he doesn't really care what the Catholic church thinks now, so he wouldn't need one if your priest doesn't care. But maybe FI cares more than he is letting on?
    Posted by Karen's MOH[/QUOTE]

Ditto. It might just be sitting in his mind that he needs to get this done to make your marriage in the new church valid.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    caitriona87caitriona87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anullment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c060e8da-1064-4228-aa73-cdc147154eedPost:4c1b0700-4554-4b78-9b3d-ebe99853432c">Re: Anullment...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anullment... : Ditto. It might just be sitting in his mind that he needs to get this done to make your marriage in the new church valid.
    Posted by smore154[/QUOTE]

An annulment still wouldn't make the marriage valid in the eyes of the Church. A baptized Catholic is bound by Catholic marriage law. If a Catholic marries in a Protestant church, it is not recognized by the Catholic Church.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    and both people would have to get their previous marriages annulled. The Catholic church views protestant marriages valid (2 protestants marry). A person cannot marry someone who is still considered to be married to someone else.
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this is a question for your own church that we would not be able to answer here. Obviously, a Catholic annulment would apply in the Catholic church.  But, we wouldn't know if it applies at your church.  
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A divorced non-catholic who wants to marry a Catholic in teh Catholic church must have their first marriage declared null (by the Catholic tribunal).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards