Canada-Ontario

Can't put postage on international rsvp envelopes

Hi Ladies,

First of all I want to thank you for being so helpful. I ask so many questions so I hope i am not being annoying.

So I went to put postage on my invites today and the guy at the post office said I can't put stamps on my rsvp envelopes. There were 2 invites that needs to go to Germany and the rest are going to the states. Lucky for me my invites do not weigh more than 30g so no extra postage.

So why can't i put a stamp on the rsvp envelope to come back to me? He showed me this international coupon but it was $4, The person still has to go to the post office and then put stamp on it. I thought the whole point of putting a stamp on RSVPs is to make it easier for people to mail it back to you but for $4, that's too much considering it was only 1.75 to send it there. 

Is it ok for me not to put stamps on the envelope?

Re: Can't put postage on international rsvp envelopes

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IMO it's totally fine to leave the envelopes without stamps. I bet your guests won't even give two thoughts about it.

You can't put Canadian stamps on mail that is to be mailed out of a different country. When you mail something from Canada, you use stamps that you purchased from Canada Post. When someone in Germany mails something to you, the stamp must originate from Germany. Basically, you're paying the postal service of the country where the letter originated.

I encountered this recently with an invitation sent to me from the US. It had a US stamp on it. I had to put the RSVP in a different envelope with Canadian postage in order to mail it back. I was nice and mailed them back the envelope with the stamp on it too though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    I only have 3 international invites, so I'm having a friend mail me 3 stamps from the states.  But otherwise, you really have no option.
    Anniversary

imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    Unfortunately I have 2 right now going to germany and couple more to go somewhere else in Europe.

I'll just go out and mail them without the stamp on the RSVP, as you said I don't have any other choice. 

Thank you...So not looking fwd to mailing 50 more invites. lol..
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you still have time, you can order US stamps online and they will mail them to you.

http://www.usps.com/send/postagepermitimprintsandmeters/stamps.htm

For the Germany ones, just leave them blank.  The guests can stamp them themselves.
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I left mine without stamps but included a note saying that they could RSVP via email to save the cost if it was an issue.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. I went ahead and just mailed them. Hopefully no one will have an issue putting a satmp on the RSVP. Now I can just focus on my other invites. 
  • StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's okay with international invitations.  People understand, I asked a couple friends of mine who are living in the US and they said they are used to putting postage in RSVPs going back to Canada and they'd expect the same from us if it was going the other way. :)
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards