Texas-Houston

Houston Wedding Venue Reviews

This forum was really helpful in my search for a venue.  I seriously went all over Houston so I thought I'd post a venue review summary.  It might be helpful if others do the same.  Maybe we can make this a sticky?

Anyway, here are my reviews:
*Note: Prices (if mentioned) are for 150 guests on a Saturday evening.  Those with F&B minimums are not dependant on the number of people.

1. Houston City Club (Greenway Plaza) -- very nice space.  Room rental includes the entire floor and they only do one event a day.  Also, they do not require security which can be a money saver.  Color scheme is a dark blue and white; clean and modern.  They said the ballroom can fit 150 but IMO it'd be a tight squeeze with a dance floor.  I would recommend the space for a group of 100-120.  Price: $8000 F&B minimum

2. Houston Club (Downtown) -- the smaller room (Bush Room) was a dirty mess.  Even the carpet was stained.  However, if you book that room you will receive a free wedding cake and free linen.  There is a lobby for cocktail hour.  The larger room (Texas Room) was very nice.  Large bottom floor space with a balcony overlooking the lower level on both sides.  This room does not include linens and almost everything is an additional cost (projector, lighting, etc).  There is a lobby for cocktail hour with this room too.  Their parking is mandatory valet (or street parking).  I found the valet, although polite, to be slower than normal.  They even have seats in the parking area for you to sit and wait for your car.  Also, it is $7 (I believe) plus optional tip.  Even though it is downtown and on an upper floor the rooms did not have nice views.

3.  Downtown Club at the Plaza (Downtown) -- First and foremost, Jason Bailey is a sweetheart.  You can't help but to like him.  Really, honestly, he's great.  As for the room it is a long rectangle shaped room with gorgeous views of downtown.  They only have one event a day.  It includes a nice sized back room that can be a buffet area, a kids room, a lounge or whatever you'd like.  The decor of the backroom is very modern with a dark brown.  The main reception area, however, is gold with armed chairs that have a green/gold floral print.  This venue is very nice if that is your style.  Price: $13,000 F&B minimum

4. Downtown club at the Houston Center (Downtown) -- Also run by Jason (for the time being anyway).  Much more modern style (dark blue and brown I believe).  Fantastic lobby wiht chairs and sofas that would stay for the reception.  However, the main room is divided.  The eating area is rather small and I would say 100 people fit comfortably with a dance floor.  There is another room on the left with a bar that is included.  The partition in the middle though makes it not so open for guests to go on either side. Price: $10,000 F&B minimum

5. Red Oak Ballrooms (West Houston) -- I really liked this space and I liked Terri.  However, the fiancee said it was a no go.  The space is designed to be a conference center so it is very bare.  There is a gray and purple color scheme.  Comes with linens and everything needed for food service.  Connected to Hotel Sorrella so would be convenient if you have out of town guests.  Terri seems intent on serving her clients to the fullest and I'm sure she'd be pleasant to work with.  Price: $8,000 F&B minimum (I think) plus a $1200 venue rental fee.

6. Corinthian (Downtown) -- LOVED this place!  Absolutely beautiful.  One of the only places I viewed that actually looked like the pictures.  Boyd was very nice and extremely responsive.  They are restructuring their prices for summer 2012 and we negotiated the price even lower than their lowest package offered.  It was still at the top of our budget but would have been worth every penny.  Large columns along the building, white marble floors, and a large upstairs area that can be used for a lounge or anything else.  Bridal suite and groom's room were gorgeous.  Need I say again that I loved this place?  This is the venue we were going to choose before we decided to scale down the wedding.  I'd recommend it to anyone if they can afford it.  Price: $7500 venue rental fee (less if wedding in August) and a minimum of 100 guests.  Deposit was higher than usual -- venue fee in full and a $5000 catering deposit

7. Bella Elegante (Downtown) -- Good location with it's own parking lot.  They also offer many packages that include a lot of items.  The wedding coordinator is very nice (and talkative) but you can tell she cares about her job.  Ladies who got married there received t-shirts that said "I'm a Bella Bride!"  Color scheme was a dark purple, gold, and black.  Ballroom was a great size and included lighting.  However, the carpets were dirty and I found it to be overpriced.  The Fuzion Room is nice for an intimate wedding.  Overall, I was not impressed with the location.  Hope that doesn't offend anyone since I know a lot of people get married there!  Price: $16k for 150 guests in the smaller room with some perks added

8. Tuscany Villa (Katy) -- Very nice house with a large bridal room and a cool groom's room with games.  They offer many packages with other things bundled in.  For us it was too far from our families but might be a good value for those in Katy.  Price: $14k for venue, food, alcohol, DJ, and cake.

9. Brookwood Community (Brookshire) -- this place is really beautiful.  The Community has a great chapel that allows you to marry in a church environment without being forced to use an assigned pastor.  Receptions are held in their cafe which is also a nice space albeit kind of small.  Wouldn't recommend it for over 130 if you have a large dance floor.  Neutral color palette.  Cafe also opens to their "backyard" which has plants they sell in the nursery.  Overall, it is a nice space to get married and money goes to support the school for disabled adults.  I found it hard to get either Tony or Elise by phone and it took days for Elise to respond to my e-mails.  That was a big problem for me since I am planning long distance.  However, we still wanted to book this place b/c of how wonderful the space was and their mission.  Ultimately, the future in-laws nixed this one.  Price: $1500 for ceremony; $4000 F&B minimum; $500 deposit

10. Cullen's Upscale Grille (ClearLake) -- nice restaurant.  Very brown but modern and clean looking.  The ballroom (and all of the other rooms offered) are very small.  They said it would fit our 150 but I just don't see it.  I would say 100 with a dance floor.  Other than that, it's a beautiful restaurant.  So much so that FI and I are determined to go there for dinner one day.  Price: $8000 F&B minimum (I believe).

11. House of Dereon Media Center (Midtown) -- very nice space if I was holding a party.  Didn't feel very wedding-ish to me.  The lower level is small so will only hold a few tables.  The upper level has some lounge furniture that cannot move (including a very large pool table).  Decor and lighting is superb -- especially if you like Beyonce.  There's pictures of her everywhere!  The only sexy lady on display on my wedding night should be me but they do allow you to cover up the pictures.  Price: $13,500 for food and alcohol

12. Bell Tower (Northwest) -- beautiful place but felt like a wedding factory to me.  Constantly having brides go in and out.  Your wedding is precisely scheduled so that everyone has their slot.  Also, the rooms are right next to each other and connected which I thought was strange.  Angie (who is VERY nice) said everyone has their own entrance and valet will direct them to the right area.  Also there have been plenty of reviews with no one complaining of the parties being mixed so maybe it is just me.  They are building a new room in the back that is absolutely beautiful.  You pay out the ears for that beautiful though; this was one of the more expensive places I visited.  For that price it should be next door to the Galleria or something but instead it's off 610 and Ella.  Price: $24k for food, alcohol, and lighting.

13. Las Velas  (Southwest) -- Appeals to a very specific taste.  I found the tile floor to be uneven and could only imagine trying to walk it in heels.  Had a small indoor waterfall which made my FI hearing aids go nuts.  Space is large but divded into many small rooms that are not open to each other.  Would be nice for a smaller wedding.  Wedding coordinator there is very nice.  Price: $10K F&B?

14. Le Virage (Westchase?) -- beautiful on the inside but located in a shopping center.  Smelled like whatever food they were cooking in the adjoining restaurant.  Price includes uplighting and wall drapery.  Was willing to give it a chance until I stepped on a dead cockroach (it was huge--seriously).  Might be a nice place for someone on a budget but then again maybe not.  I found it to be expensive for the space offered.  Price: $10,000 for ceremony and reception food (not including alcohol)

15. Heights Villa (Heights) -- Venue includes two spaces that are in separate wings of a large building.  Gold handpainted walls with black sconces and ornate molding.  Plenty of restrooms.  Includes lots of side rooms and a lobby/bar.  They are not kid friendly and do not allow kid areas.  Everything in the building (including centerpices, lighting, and decorations) are available for use for no extra charge.  Says large space can fit 240 but that includes the balcony.  It is really separate from the fun so I wouldn't seat people up there.  With a dance floor I think the bottom floor could comfortably accomodate 150.  However, with all the other rooms we were worried guests would be spread throughout the space.  Ultimately, we did not choose this venue b/c we did not like restrictions on what to do with each of the rooms rented.  Their venue so their choice; just wasn't for us.  Otherwise, I have nothing bad to say about the place.  Price: $6500 for large space; $4500 for smaller space.

16. Crowne Plaza at Reliant Center -- nothing like the pictures on their website.  Just a plain hotel room.  I'm sure it would look marvelous with drapery and decorations but then again so would any place.  Rooms were next door to each other as well.  High risk of parties mixing in my opinion and I'd be worried about gifts/security.  Wedding Coordinator is very nice though.  Price: varies, can make your own package

17. Magnolia Hotel (Downtown) -- beatiful hotel.  Modern space without feeling cold.  I will probably take my bridals there b/c it's just a beautiful space.  Ballroom was on the small side.  I would estimate 120 with a dance floor.  Buffet and cocktail hour is setup in the large lobby area outside the room.  It is open to anyone that gets off the elevator (they say they post signs) and that was a concern for me.  Reservation includes about 5 smaller rooms off the lobby.  They are okay with it being used as a kids room, lounge or whatever you'd like.  Lobby furniture stays so you have a built in lounge.  Club Room is on the lower level of the second floor.  Is very open and informal feeling.  Would be nice for a daytime informal wedding.  Price: Around $40/person for food

18. Treebeard's (Downtown) -- found this space when we decided to downsize our wedding.  There is a large space above the restaurant.  Exposed brick walls with black velvet curtains hiding the storage area in the back.  Large bar in the room that fits the decor perfectly.  Has a balcony with a nice view of the area.  Owner says it can fit 150 comfortably with a dance floor; I don't see it but I believe her.  Very nice staff and I think with a few decorations it would be a great venue for a small, inexpensive wedding.  If we weren't concerned about space we would have booked here.  Price: $1000 venue rental fee + approx $20/person for food and $6-9/drink

19. Courtyard at St. James (Galleria) -- I don't have much to say about this venue other than it was nice.  It has to be your taste and I guess it just wasn't ours.  There are vines growing up the side of the building which give it a nice garden feeling while still being in one of the most desired areas of town.  Christiana is very nice and responsive which a plus.  Price: Approx $16k for 150 guests with food and alcohol

20. Ensemble Theater (Downtown/Midtown) -- This is the venue we ultimately chose.  There are several spaces available.  The lobby in the front is all glass and faces Main St/the monorail.  I think it would be weird with people watching the wedding but I guess that's depends on you.  There is a large room in the back (Performance center) that can seat up to 300.  The coordinator is very flexible with any decorations in the room as long as you put it back.  They only do one event a day and depending on their schedule allow you to setup the room the day before. The Performance Center has its own entrance with a small lobby.  If there is no performance that day you can also use their parking lot next door for free.  Across the street is a church that has an open policy for weddings (Trinity Episcopal Church).  Price: $750 for the lobby; $2000 for the Performance Center.  50% deposit.

Hope that helps!  I also have wedding packets for  Hotel Derek, Houston Oaks, Westlake Club, Wynden, Alden Hotel, Villa Renata, House of Blues, Chateau Polonez, Hilton University of Houston, and Hilton Post Oak but did not visit these places.  PM me if you'd like me to e-mail me them to you. 

Feel free to post venue reviews of your own!!  I'm sure they will be helpful to others in the future.  Happy planning!

Re: Houston Wedding Venue Reviews

• PJS001PJS001 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow. You have been busy!

These are great reviews. Thank you for the time I know it must have taken to write all of this up. This will be a great tool for all the brides still looking for a venue.

This is just great!
    And now we are as one
    Married February 20, 2011

• mlewis85mlewis85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks PJS!  I ask a lot of questions here so figured I'd repay the favor :)  Hope someone finds it useful

• akeptwoman26akeptwoman26 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, very descriptive! Where was you when I was planning my wedding! Im sure this will help out a lot of brides...
  • mandydc0509mandydc0509 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually booked with Le Virage... hopefully, I don't run into any roaches during the reception lol. 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I got married at the Crystal Ballroom at the Rice! I can not say enought wonderful things about the venue, food and staff. Its such a unique place i really don't think there is a reception space to compare it to! Jamie, the catering manager treats you like royalty!! I loved it so much i want to have our 10yr wedding anniversary party there lol! It has a beautiful wrap around terrace, lots of space and the decor is priceless! i got married on a saturday night and the rental fee was $6500 then on top of that you had to meet the 10k minimum..so it can be an expensive venue..but well worth every penny!!

edited December 2011
    Lol Mandy,  I'm sure your wedding will be absolutely fabulous!!

Kriskh -- I would have LOVED the Crystal Ballroom!  Everyone's pictures from there are stunning.  Unfortunately, they were booked on the date we wanted or else I would definitely have gone for it!
  • edited December 2011
    This is so amazing...and helpful! You girls are so wonderful!  I just started this process today and this website has been great! I am likely getting married in Houston, but live in Louisiana now and this is exactly what I think I'm looking for!  Thanks soooooo much!
    edited December 2011
    Happy to help!! If you need anything else feel free to post a question!

Just a heads up, if you need to PM someone make you sure you post here that you PMed them.  TK doesn't notify users that they've recieved a message.
  • edited December 2011
    Do ya'll have any suggestions for a venue that has outdoor wedding, with indoor reception capabiliites. I live in Corpus now but want my wedding in Houston, obviously it's hard for me to go visit every site I find online. I want to keep the budget at $10K. Wedding in March 2012.
    Thanks
    edited December 2011
    This is kind of an old thread so I would recommend starting a new one with that questions.  Also, the price range would depend on how many people you have.  Most places have a space for outdoor ceremony and indoor reception.  In fact, almost all of them I'd say.  Depends on if you want a rustic country setting, a garden, or more of an urban setting.  Start a new thread and I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions :)
  • edited December 2011
    mlewis85 i sent you a PM.  Please respond if possible
  • Hi could you email me the packets please :) Sylvia.Nguyen82@Gmail.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards