Florida-Central Florida
Options

Guest list additions

So FMIL keeps adding what I'll call obligatory invites to our already finalized list. I really think it would be nice to invite these extra people, if $ and space and extra supplies allowed for it, but I'm just not sure it does. I'm in the process of sending the STDs that I've ordered and now we have more people to add. She thinks everyone who helps us save $ on the wedding deserves an invite. For example, some family from church we don't really know got us a deal on the RD site, so now we have to invite them to the wedding. FI's childhood dentist got him discounted teeth whitening for the wedding- now she wants to invite the dentist that he sees once every 6 months! The only conversation they really have is about flossing haha! I get where she's coming from; we definitely want to show that we are grateful and want to be polite to those who are gracious with us...but is there maybe a cheaper way so say thank you than to keep adding people to our already packed out list?

Re: Guest list additions

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you really can't afford it tell her that it is impossible to invite them right now and that a thank you note will have to suffice.  But, as you get no's responded you might could invite them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could write them a really nice thank you note and maybe get them something cheap and cute. It just needs to be thoughtful. I can't really think of something now, but I'll let you know if I do. I do not think they need to be invited.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could put like a little snack food basket together with like dip and cheese straws and stuff like that.  I'm watching food network and just saw something about cheese straws- I love cheese straws!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Being nice and helpful does not equate to an automatic wedding invite. I helped an acquaintance in St. Pete come up with ideas for her wedding. Doesn't mean I expected to be invited, and I wasn't. Fine with me. Does she really think FI's dentist is that interested in coming to one of his/her patient's weddings? Seriously.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    His dentist? really??  Thats why Thank You cards were designed lol.  If something especially kind then maybe a thank you and a bottle of wine or small gift card.  Not an automatic invite to your wedding.  My gyno gave me extra refills on my BC and migraine meds so I wouldnt have to worry about coming back to see her just before or just after the wedding.  Doesn't mean I invited her to the wedding.  SIL's friend recommended my hair and MUA, I told SIL to thank her.  Didn't invite her.

Just tell your MIL that you appreciate the kindness of those people, and that you will be showing your gratitude with a thank you and maybe a small gift, but that space just wont allow to invite them. (if you just say you can't afford the additional cost of those people, would she maybe offer to pay for their dinner? if so, I'd say your venue can't hold more people lol)
  • Options
    Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Def just thank you cards for now. Like it was said, if you get no's and see you have room, then maybe consider adding some of them (only if you want). I agree, the dentist seems a bit ridiculous! It's kinda like if you get upgraded on your hotel, are you supposed to invite the hotel staff?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    haha umcollegegirl..your gyno comment was hilarious. and Britt, you are totally right w/ the hotel example. I think she just wants to be nice to people and doesn't want to hurt ppl's feelings...I just don't know if these people are expecting invites or not. If so, I don't want to be the reason she burns bridges w/ these people. I'll keep you guys posted but I'm glad I'm not alone in my thinking.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, these folks are not going to expect invites. Because they got you a deal or recommended something. They're trying to be helpful, not 'earn' their way onto your guest list. Hopefully your FMIL will be ok with that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards