Getting in Shape
Options

cleanses

Hi ladies,

I am trying to lose about 10 pounds before the wedding in one month.  i will continue to eat healthy and exercise as often as possible (right now it is 30mins to 1 hr 3 to 4 times a week) but i was also looking at doing a healthy cleanse.  not the master cleanse where i only do water and pepper and lemon juice, but instead cut out carbs and meat and dairy and sugar.  i found this link to a meal plan that looked good.  

it is for a week.  it seems healthy and not too drastic.  does anyone have any experience with a cleanse like this?  if so, what were your results?  what would you change about this cleanse?  and if i did it, when would be the best week to do this--now or right before the wedding or more in between?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  thanks!

Re: cleanses

• Options
    I'm familiar with juice fasting and this is kind of similar to juicing but it has added minimal super healthy foods. While I don't think cleanses are good for long term weight loss they will facilitate short term weight loss. And this one isnt really a fast your eating food and getting lots of healthy nutrients. I looked over the menu and it looked very good and healthy. I think you should definitely try it. As for when u should start it...I'm not sure. My best guess...if its a 7 day program maybe 10 days before your wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Your a bronze knottie which means you've been around before, you should probably know that this board does not really advocate doing those cleanses because they are temporary fixes and as soon as you get off it you will just gain back the water weight.  Cutting out all carbs is also something that everyone would not recommend.  Your body needs carbs for energy and to function properly and have proper bowel movements and for your digestive system.  Regarding meat, you need the iron and protein.  I know you get get protein from other sources, but it's never best to drastically change your eating habits. because you will just gain everything back.. You can't just function on fruits and veggies alone.. or whatever else you are eating.  It seems like you would be cutting out a lot of important food groups where you get your energy and nutrients from
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You can eliminate food groups (there are certainly people who don't eat gluten or meat or dairy) but I wouldn't do it as a temporary fix or right before your wedding. Looking that over, it seems that you DO need more whole grains and more protein than the fast is providing. I suggest you do up your fruit and vegetable intake, of course, but eat lean protein and whole grains as well. You need a proper balance of carbs, protein and fat. If not, you'll feel sluggish, which would be a shame right before your wedding.

But cutting out processed foods and sodium will help you feel less bloated and make you feel better.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Ditto, Mery. Eating "clean" with lots of whole foods and fruits and vegetables would help you out a lot and keep you feeling energized. And of course drinking lots of water is great for you. Have you ever had a green monster? They're super good and full of great ingredients. I love making them.

greenmonstermovement.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Um, you can do whatever diet you would like and I hope it works, just try not to cut out any thing all together.  Like I have a low carb lifestyle for the most part I only eat crazy when I am celebrating something otherwise, I keep my carbs low, but I still eat them. Like I will eat sweet Potatoe fries, or corn or something. LOW CARB.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Cleanses are a bad idea. Eat clean, do cardio, lift weights, and love your body. The only healthy weight loss is done slowly and through proper nutrition and exercise. If you're desperate, google "bodybuilding cutting routines," and you'll find some extremely strict (but calorically SANE) diet plans that will help you shed weight and tone up quickly. Just avoid any recommended supplements...my best friend is a chemist working for a reputable company and she says they're at best useless and at worst filled with garbage you shouldn't put in your body. Eat better (and enough), and work out.
  • Options
    thanks girls for the feedback, i appreciate it.  i think that instead of a cleanse per say, i really meant super clean eating.  its funny, in northern CA, people cannot get enough of cleanses!  everywhere i go, everyone is doing them--nutritionists and doctors all recommend them.  i have never done one, but i think that the idea of just extremely clean eating is best for me.  thanks again!
  • Options
    I know what you mean! I'm in the SF Bay, and sooo many people throw the word "cleanse" around daily. I was reading Share Guide (it's a free mag that's all over Nor Cal) and there's a ton of ads in the back of it where you can go to these retreats or facilities for "cleanses." I've seen  some of my clients that come off of cleanses (I'm an esthetician), and their skin is super dry because they aren't getting the nutrients that they need. Several of my vegan and vegetarian clients have that same problem, too...I'll admit, I've done a cleanse myself in 2007. It was the 48 Hour Hollywood Diet. Basically you drink nothing but this "juice" and water for 2 days...And while you do lose 10 lbs. in 2 days, you'll prob feel tired and sluggish, which I know you don't want to feel on your wedding day.

What part of Nor Cal are you at?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cleanses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:10f65db3-179a-4a59-bec2-fb2d359150baPost:9d7c218f-bbf1-477c-b548-5e39913ad25f">Re: cleanses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know what you mean! I'm in the SF Bay, and sooo many people throw the word "cleanse" around daily. I was reading Share Guide (it's a free mag that's all over Nor Cal) and there's a ton of ads in the back of it where you can go to these retreats or facilities for "cleanses." I've seen  some of my clients that come off of cleanses (I'm an esthetician), and their skin is super dry because they aren't getting the nutrients that they need. Several of my vegan and vegetarian clients have that same problem, too...I'll admit, I've done a cleanse myself in 2007. It was the 48 Hour Hollywood Diet. Basically you drink nothing but this "juice" and water for 2 days...And while you do lose 10 lbs. in 2 days, you'll prob feel tired and sluggish, which I know you don't want to feel on your wedding day. What part of Nor Cal are you at?
    Posted by misstsapinay[/QUOTE]
    I've never heard of anyone doing that. I feel like Ive seen those products at like a Walgreens or CVS. Out of curiousity how long did you keep that 10 pounds off? I'd think it would be mostly water weight.?? Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I did a 3 day "cleanse" that I got off Women's Health Mag, and it included food similar to this diet you posted.  To be honest, I lost water weight, 2.5lbs, but once I ate normally again, it was back in 1-2 days.  I was also SUPER hungry on this diet because when I calculated it, there was only a little over 1,000 calories for the whole day.  By day 3, I had to eat a regular dinner because I had no energy.

So, in summary, can it work to make you temporarily slimmer?  Yes.  Is it worth the hunger and lack of energy?  Nope.  Just eat clean for a few days like pp mentioned.  Cut out processed foods, condiments, sugars, etc.  It will have the same effect but not be so drastic.

HTH!
  • Options
    Also, if you don't eat the right foods and get the nutrients and vitamins from them. you will look blah on your wedding day.  You won't have a healthy glow.  You will look wasked out.  You need plenty of healthy foods for a healthy glow
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cleanses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:10f65db3-179a-4a59-bec2-fb2d359150baPost:c374615f-5b27-4118-82d2-f62531e9d11f">Re: cleanses</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks girls for the feedback, i appreciate it.  i think that instead of a cleanse per say, i really meant super clean eating.  its funny, in northern CA, people cannot get enough of cleanses!  everywhere i go, everyone is doing them--<strong>nutritionists and doctors all recommend them</strong>.  i have never done one, but i think that the idea of just <strong>extremely clean eating is best for me</strong>.  thanks again!
    Posted by shauni27[/QUOTE]

Good! You've got it! Lots of doctors and nutritionists make poor recommendations. Doctors in particular tend to forego their formal training and capitalize on trends because it's easier and more lucrative. Honestly, ask any nutritionist...few physicians know anything about proper nutrition! Then again, don't ask any nutritionist who advocates "cleansing" about anything!

Again, you'll get the best results (and longevity) from eating clean and working out. I just noticed you're working out a half hour to an hour four times a week. While any exercise is commendable, try to work up to much more. The actual current guidelines for Americans call for an hour 5-6 times per week. If you're really motivated to lose weight and get fit, you really should up your cardio to this, at a minimum. You don't need to be exerting yourself at 95% of your threshold. Just double what you're already doing, and listen to your body.
  • Options
    okay so everyone appears to be against cleanses which is not a bad thing and they are temporary fixes but from what it seems like that's what she's looking for.  That last little bump to look her leanest and meanest for her wedding day.  Jillian Michaels has an awesome 7 day plan that is low carb and no sugar.  I did it just before attending a wedding in June and my body looked sick, while I've obviously gained some of the water weight back I've still managed to keep some of it off. 
    -contact me privately if you want more informaiton on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards