North Carolina-Outer Banks

Bridesmaid dresses & Colors

Hey ladies! How far ahead did you and your bridesmaids go bridesmaid dress shopping? My wedding is in May and we went bridesmaid dress shopping the other night.

Was having an issue with one of my bridesmaids (long story, she seemed miserable while shopping and initially refused to try a dress on) but I posted my problem on the Wedding party forum and they said that now is too early to go bridesmaid dress shopping. But, I did not tell them that it is for a destination wedding. One of my bridesmaids has been in a lot of weddings, esp. destination weddings and she said she thought now was a good time.

Anyway, the dress the girls ended up picking has a sash, so instead of just picking one color for the bridesmaid dress to be, I had to also pick a color for the sash. I'm not entirely settled on what I want my wedding colors to be, so picking a sash color was hard. I felt really pressured, so the sales lady said she would just take the girls' measurements and register them in the system and add which dress we had chosen to my file. So they didn't actually order the dress yet. Once I decide on the 2 colors, I can tell them to go ahead and order.

So that brings me to my next question.. I really like teal as a color for the bridesmaid dresses, but my one bridesmaid (the one I just told you about) said teal is too dark for a May wedding. But, I really really had my heart set on either  a teal color or jade. I want colors that will look pretty on the beach and also that compliment me. I don't really think lighter blues are as complimentary to me. So, what do you girls think? Did anyone else have teal bridesmaid dresses for a May wedding? I've looked at lots of OBX photography pictures and have def. seen bridesmaids in teal dresses. Should I just stick to my guns and go with teal? Teal really isn't that dark. It's not like I'm picking black bridesmaid dresses for a May beach wedding. Anyway, opinions appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Bridesmaid dresses & Colors

• I think it's your wedding, and you stick with your teal bridesmaid dresses!!!  I had 2 bridesmaids, and one of them gave me hell when picking out dresses.  I finally put my foot down, picked the dress I wanted, and told her when she got married I would wear whatever she wanted me to wear.  It would be nice if they could all agree on a dress, but that is next to impossible for a group of girls.  At the end of the day, this is your wedding, your vision, and what you say goes.  Everytime I have been a bridesmaid in the past, I did and wore exactly what the bride told me, regardless of if I like it or not.  And Teal is a fabulous color!!!!
  • I can understand somebody complaining if you picked a dress that just really didn't flatter them, but color issues?!?! I would stick with what you want on this one!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_bridesmaid-dresses-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:7b124ebe-cf48-4f33-b61a-ae363f345082Post:95539340-66e2-4827-b653-d6dd9b25c9e3">Re: Bridesmaid dresses & Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's your wedding, and you stick with your teal bridesmaid dresses!!!  I had 2 bridesmaids, and one of them gave me hell when picking out dresses.  I finally put my foot down, picked the dress I wanted, and told her when she got married I would wear whatever she wanted me to wear.  It would be nice if they could all agree on a dress, but that is next to impossible for a group of girls.  At the end of the day, this is your wedding, your vision, and what you say goes.  Everytime I have been a bridesmaid in the past, I did and wore exactly what the bride told me, regardless of if I like it or not.  And Teal is a fabulous color!!!!
    Posted by mandafite821[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much! That's how I feel! My other bridesmaids were so supportive. I appreciate suggestions, but when it's a pushy opinion, it gets frustrating. Also, she doesn't like her picture taken and I had asked her before ever asking her to be a bridesmaid if being in wedding pics would be a problem and she said no. So when the girls all had their dresses on in the store the other night I wanted to take a pic and when I went to snap the pic she jumped out of the group of girls and said "No! Don't take my picture!" And it was just awkward silence..Like, really? I would love to do a  scrapbook of the beginning phases of the wedding planning..dress shopping, showers, bachelorette party, etc. Photographers are by no means cheap and if she's going to be jumping out of pictures, then what is the point of being in the wedding? I want ALL my bridesmaids in my pictures for my memories. I am just beyond frustrated. And when she first got to the dress shop she was late, so we had to start without her. The other girls had only tried on one dress and when she got there I told her there was an open dressing room with a bunch of dresses in there and for her to just hop in there and pick any dress and she said "No, I'm good." ...Again, awkward silence. "No, I'm good"?? You're out bridesmaid dress shopping!!! Ugh so frustrating. I don't know what to do.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I agree. When it comes down to it it's my wedding and my vision, like you said. I'm going to do what I want. It's not her wedding. My other bridesmaid said "If you wanted me to wear a hefty bag and a sash I would wear it and not complain!!!" haha
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_bridesmaid-dresses-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:7b124ebe-cf48-4f33-b61a-ae363f345082Post:f44163a1-4df2-48a8-8a1c-c783e9ee1412">Re:Bridesmaid dresses amp; Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can understand somebody complaining if you picked a dress that just really didn't flatter them, but color issues?!?! I would stick with what you want on this one!
    Posted by Mrsdittmar[/QUOTE]
    I agree! It was so difficult. I was almost in tears in the store. Finally, the saleslady said I didn't have to make a color decision that day. Thank God! Because I didn't want to make a pressured decision and then regret it in the end. That darn sash threw me off!
  • You should really stick with your instict and go with teal if that is what makes you happy.  I actually did teal & tangerine with khaki & white accents, for a Sept wedding and the girls loved the color and it flattered everyone.  I think teal would look fabulous in May!

Remember, that not everyone is going to like your ideas, your colors, your theme, your cake...the list is endless,  trust me.  But this is the day for you and FI to celebrate your love with your friends and family.  This is your big day, so you have to do what feels right for you and what makes you happy.  Of course, it is always good to be open to other suggestions on certain things, but in the long run, you have to do what makes you happy. 

I also want to add, maybe this particular bm is camera shy or doens't like being in the spotlight, and that's ok :) She is not in your wedding to be fabulous in the pics as if it is a job for her or something.  She is in your wedding b/c she is someone that you are close too and want to share in your day.  Nothing more and nothing less.  Honestly and truly.  There is too much hype put on bridesmaids and what they should or shouldn't be doing.  One thing I have learned is that no one is going to be as excited about your wedding as you.  I mean really, could anyone be more excited than you? ;)  If this bridesmaid is supportive of you and your FI and wants to be there to share your big day, then she is doing her part.  Of course it's great to think that your entire wedding party will be there for every single planning event and whatnot, but that's not always the reality.  As long as she is supportive of your wedding and is a good friend to you throughout all of this, that is really all that matters in the long run.....right?

And don't feel too pressured into finalizing your colors and the dresses right now.  You do have some time before you should order them, January 1st or so as it only takes 6-8 weeks to get them in anyways.  Your salesperson can give you the final dates though.  I originally thought I was going to go with greens and blues and then my H and I were flipping through a magazine and saw the teal and tangerine colors together and knew right then, those were our colors.  I definitely suggest finalizing your colors before looking at anymore BM dresses.  It will make things a lot easier for you b/c you know that you are adamant in your color choice and you can take it from there.  Catch what I'm sayin? ;)

• I had a May wedding and I only had one bridesmaid but it was a turquoise dress with a pink sash.  I was really happy with it although my sister who was the bridesmaid hated it.  I just kept telling her it was my wedding and she wore it but threatened a few times not to.  I know teal is a little darker than turquoise but I think it look great!
    May 25, 2012
  • A) It's not too early.  We went shopping in August for my June wedding.
    B) Pick whatever color you want.  I didn't like myself against lighter colors either, so I picked a color that I would look good in if I wore it (a dark raspberry shade - again for June).  I'm not a pastel fan, and I think the bridesmaids fade away when wearing light colors on the bright beach.

I want to add that some dress makers do take longer than 6-8 weeks (we used Jim Hjelm and it was at least 3 months).  So while you definitely don't have to decide right now or tomorrow, just make sure you talk to the store and know how long your manufacturer will take and when everything should be ordered. 
    image June 22, 2012
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_bridesmaid-dresses-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:7b124ebe-cf48-4f33-b61a-ae363f345082Post:8be7b94c-90ad-4893-84c5-84210ec6a955">Re: Bridesmaid dresses & Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]A) It's not too early.  We went shopping in August for my June wedding. B) Pick whatever color you want.  I didn't like myself against lighter colors either, so I picked a color that I would look good in if I wore it (a dark raspberry shade - again for June).  I'm not a pastel fan, and I think the bridesmaids fade away when wearing light colors on the bright beach. I want to add that some dress makers do take longer than 6-8 weeks (we used Jim Hjelm and it was at least 3 months).  So while you definitely don't have to decide right now or tomorrow, just make sure you talk to the store and know how long your manufacturer will take and when everything should be ordered. 
    Posted by jendem8[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, I generally don't wear pastel colors. I usually wear greens, browns, tans in the fall/winter and in the summer I tend to stick with teal shades. Right, I figured even though we picked the dress, they still have yet to order it. They're just waiting on me to decide the two colors. Okay, I agree but yeah when I posted on "Wedding party" about the bridesmaid problem (there's more to the story, I didn't post it all here) they were like "Oh, it's way too early to shop for bridesmaid dresses" etc. Even my one bridesmaid who has been in lots of weddings, even destination weddings, said it wasn't too early. I have another bridesmaid living in Ireland too, so coordinating with her getting her measurements done and us ordering the dress over here will probably take awhile as well.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_bridesmaid-dresses-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:7b124ebe-cf48-4f33-b61a-ae363f345082Post:3796d298-3b8f-4923-9cc2-b028a7814d7e">Re: Bridesmaid dresses & Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaid dresses & Colors : Yeah, I generally don't wear pastel colors. I usually wear greens, browns, tans in the fall/winter and in the summer I tend to stick with teal shades. Right, I figured even though we picked the dress, they still have yet to order it. They're just waiting on me to decide the two colors. Okay, I agree but yeah when I posted on "Wedding party" about the bridesmaid problem (there's more to the story, I didn't post it all here) they were like "Oh, it's way too early to shop for bridesmaid dresses" etc. Even my one bridesmaid who has been in lots of weddings, even destination weddings, said it wasn't too early. I have another bridesmaid living in Ireland too, so coordinating with her getting her measurements done and us ordering the dress over here will probably take awhile as well. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!
    Posted by missm810[/QUOTE]

While it's not too early to shop for BM dresses, I was only stating that you could wait until the New Year at the latest, to order them in regards to you not being able to pick out the final colors and feeling pressured.  If you have a BM that is Ireland, than I would continue the track you are on so she can make sure that she has plenty of time to order hers, as well as get it in enough time in case it needs to be altered.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_bridesmaid-dresses-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:7b124ebe-cf48-4f33-b61a-ae363f345082Post:66ccb4f6-569d-44b2-a961-7f0bc3471583">Re: Bridesmaid dresses & Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaid dresses & Colors : While it's not too early to shop for BM dresses, I was only stating that you could wait until the New Year at the latest, to order them in regards to you not being able to pick out the final colors and feeling pressured.  If you have a BM that is Ireland, than I would continue the track you are on so she can make sure that she has plenty of time to order hers, as well as get it in enough time in case it needs to be altered.
    Posted by OBX2011[/QUOTE] Yes, I agree. Because it may take awhile for her to get to a store, get measured, send us her measurements, order the dress, etc And if there are any problems we would want to take care of it early. I totally agree! I just got worried because on that other forum they were like "omg, it's too early!!" etc etc. And I got all nervous, like maybe we shouldn't have been looking at dresses! lol But yeah, I figure since we didn't actually order them yet, we're okay. We just picked one out! =)
  • Hi! I am getting married in May in OBX as well! Our colors are turquoise.. Light and bright with yellow accent... It's your wedding so I say pick the colors you want! Remember your maids are there to support you don't make it about her!! Where/what date are you getting married?? :
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards