October 2012 Weddings

Alterations Poll

I'm wondering a bit about the alterations process, partly because I'm working with a lady that runs her own alterations business. She has great reviews/ recommendations, but I still get nervous about it.

What are you all doing?

Also, what are you having done and expect to pay for yours?
Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart

Re: Alterations Poll

• I purchased my dress from a local bridal boutique and the seamstress works out of there independently.  It makes me feel more comfortable because the store backs her up and guarantees her work.

I am looking at around $300 for my alterations.  I need to have the sides taken in from the chest all the way down to my hips, have it shortened (and it's a bubble hem, so it's a bit harder), have a corset sewn inside the dress, and of course the bustle done.
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • edited July 2012
    I'm planning to go with the store and I've budgeted $300 for the alterations.

ETA:  I missed part two of this question, I will be having the top made into a sweetheart neckline, currently it is straight.  I will also have it taken in at the top, hemmed, and the bustle.
    Photobucket
  • I got my dress at DB but won't be doing the alterations there because I heard too many horror stories about people being overcharged and/or having their dresses ruined. I'm almost a hundred percent certain who I'm using at this point, and she quoted us under 200, but I'll believe it when I see it. I need to have my dress taken in, hemmed, and bustled.
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
  • I got my dress from alfred angelo, but I have heard bad things about most bridal stores seamsstresses. My neighbor had 5 girls that she made wedding dresses for as well as their wedding party. She's offered to do my alterations and bustle for me! In that case, I will probably be getting her a nice gift for her doing this.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I jsut went yesterday to an independent that was recommended to me.  She is letting the sides out, adding cups and adding a bustle.  I got lucky and do not need a hem.  She said that it should be $125.
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • The store where I bought my dress does not do alterations.  They have a list of seamstresses that they recommend that you work with.  They told me which of the seamstresses would be best for my dress, and that's who I'm working with.  I've had my first fitting, and she was wonderful.  I'm not sure how much it wil cost in the end...I just need hem, taken in a bit at the bust, and a bustle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I got my dress from Alfred Angelo and honestly with all the screw ups they've made so far, I don't want to go back into that building if I can help it.  I will probably look around town for a seamstress that wont charge as much and wont be hell bent on ruining my dress. I budgeted about 200 since all I am doing is having it hemmed and the bust brought in slightly. 
    Married! 10.19.2012
  • It depends.  The store I bought it from is in IA.  If the dress comes early before my two IA trips in the next month or so, I will be going through their seemstress.  They quoted me at $285 I believe for a hem, bustle, cups, and possibly to have the waist brought in.  I don't think I will need it let in though because my weight doesn't fluctuate and it's corset, although I ordered up a size do to my hips.  haha, all three measurements were different dress sizes! 

If it comes in after, then I will have to find an independent seemstress in CA in the month before my wedding, which I'm sure will cost more, as does everything in CA!

• I purchased my dress at a sample sale at a local bridal boutique. They have an amazing selection of dresses but are not well known for quality alterations. As such, I'm going with a private semstress that comes highly recommended by my DOC.
    Anniversary
  • snuff9861snuff9861 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I bought my dress from a bridal boutique. Upstairs they have an independent seamstress. The bridal consultant told us to budget $200 for alterations and be pleasantly surprised. I need cups sewn in, the hemming and a bustle. My dress is a corset already, so I'm hoping with my weight fluctuations there won't be much needed in terms of taking in or out. Maybe the chest area since I am very small on top.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • I bought my dress at a local bridal shop, she has a seamstress there that I will be using.
    weddingpic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards