Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

To make you think too hard on Monday morning

This is hypothetical.

We're starting a new class for high school seniors.
It's called "Skills for Real Life", and we're creating a syllabus that should contain lessons that would have been helpful upon graduating.

Laws of the Laundry Room
Balancing accounts with Debit Cards
How to change a tire/oil/diaper
What to know when entering a lease

What would you add to the curriculum?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: To make you think too hard on Monday morning

• Options
    "Why you shouldn't sign up for that credit card no matter how many free t-shirts they try to sway you with".

And "Don't drink whatever that frat boy just handed you". 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    How to mend a shirt/other article of clothing (under laws of the laundry room?)
    Internet Security
    Basic First Aid

ETA: Typing words out in full/avoiding text speak.

How to fill out an application or write a resume that employers want to see, i.e., don't put "Career Objective: To be an asset to a company" and expect the employer to be impressed.
    planning

• Options
    "Crabs don't always come with a side of butter"
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Along with the debit cards, managing credit cards without going crazy. Too many people I knew in college had so much debt because they couldn't use their cc responsibly.

Maybe even cooking, or an "eating smart" class. My brother could have used a healthy eating guide, and I could have used some basic cooking education.
  • Options
    When To Throw In The Towel And Call A Professional (and why you should avoid DIYing certain jobs such as plumbing, electricity, etc. unless you ARE a professional)

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Pro's and Con's of buying a brand new car vs a not so bad used one.
    *Rafs Girl* Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_think-hard-monday-morning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:10237f07-931b-4c29-b6e5-9389cebce248Post:4cfeb516-4ca1-42f9-b9bc-448c77e63d87">Re: To make you think too hard on Monday morning</a>:
    [QUOTE]"<strong>Why you shouldn't sign up for that credit card no matter how many free t-shirts they try to sway you with".</strong> And "Don't drink whatever that frat boy just handed you". 
    Posted by salt78[/QUOTE]

THIS!!!
    I can't tell you how many t-shirts I had in college!!
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    Adding to salt's idea... include a section on not letting your drink out of your sight when you're at parties / bars / public places. Or asking a friend to watch it when you go to the bathroom. Etc. Etc.

Mending & hemming = good idea. I still can't hem a pair of pants to save my life.

Add to the lease signing, things to look for when you're touring a rental (apartment, whatever). Checking baseboards, electric sockets, caulk in the bathroom, etc.
  • Options

How to get along with roommates

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    Basic Time Management/Scheduling- Using a calendar system of some sort to prioritize and keep track of projects, tasks, and responsibilities.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    How to save money on utilities.

How to sew a button! (I still don't know how!)

How to check your vehicle before road trips/inclement weather (i.e. tire air pressure, coolant, antifreeze)

How to make coffee and clean a coffee maker (My college roomies had to teach me this)

How to properly load a dishwasher (I taught my college roomies this)

Food safety (how to properly thaw meat and handle raw chicken)

Maximizing your potential and/or beefing up resumes (extra-curriculars,  community service, clubs/organizations)

Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • Options
    Moving out of your home is not a free-for-all for eating, drinking and sex. 

It's really too bad that you can't have a drinking responsibly kind of deal.  Most parents would probably think it's encouraging drinking but soooo many kids who get to college have NO idea when to stop and get themselves really sick and in serious trouble.
  • Options
    OH- include somewhere in there what to put in an emergency kit for your car. That's especially important if the students live anywhere with hard winters. Jumper cables, flares, bottled water, a blanket, extra gloves and boots, etc.
  • Options
    Oh, and definitely interview skills.

I was watching Little People Big World and couldn't believe that Zack went in seeking applications in shorts and a soccer jersey. Even when I was younger, I knew that you should dress decently even just to get an application.
  • Options
    Budeting, saving money, investing and basic financial education.
  • Options
    "Thermometers and toilet paper don't come with the bathroom."
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_think-hard-monday-morning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:10237f07-931b-4c29-b6e5-9389cebce248Post:105dff90-9e63-43f4-9e0b-36904d9be88e">Re: To make you think too hard on Monday morning</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and definitely interview skills. I was watching Little People Big World and couldn't believe that Zack went in seeking applications in shorts and a soccer jersey. Even when I was younger, I knew that you should dress decently even just to get an application.
    Posted by JessAndTrav[/QUOTE]

I get people in ratty tank tops, half shirts, super short shorts, dirty flip flops, unwashed/unbrushed hair, chewing gum, on the phone -- you name the inappropriate situation and I've seen it in my store.

And if you fill out an application, don't fold it to a tiny rectangle and turn it in.

And when referring to paper products that you write letters on, it's STATION<strong>E</strong>RY.
    planning

• Options
    I can't believe how many kids are leaving home not knowing how to load a dishwasher or how to do laundry. For Christ's sake did their mothers wipe their asses, too?

But anyway, social graces, including restaurant etiquette and TIPPING.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards