Missouri-Kansas City
Options

KC Vendor Reviews

Day of Wedding Coordinator: A+++    Vaughn Events

We hired Stephanie as a Day of Coordinator and she was the best decision I ever made in the whole wedding planning process! Stephanie thought of every detail and would ask so many questions about things I completely overlooked. I can’t tell you how many times I said, “I didn’t think of that…you’re right!  It’s so important.”  We had an in-person meeting, phone calls, and several emails before the wedding.  She really got involved the few weeks before the wedding and was an amazing help in building a timeline, confirming with all of my vendors, etc.  She basically took over at the point where I was too flippin’ tired to care anymore.  On the day of the wedding, she kept every thing on track and she was calm, which calmed the rest of us. I really appreciated how friendly she was, she was easy to work with, and I had full confidence that she would take care of my day….and she did!  A LIFESAVER!   And she had much better prices than other planners in KC….I feel like I really got a deal for the service she provided.

Photography: A+++   One Tree Photo & Cinema

I cannot begin to express my gratitude for Matt!  My husband and I have the upmost respect for his creativity and professionalism.  Matt has a keen ability to listen to his clients and capture their wants and desires in a beautiful way!  His work is very photojournalistic capturing all of the “natural” moments whether it’s the tenderness of the first look or the laugh you shared during the cake cutting.  He uses interesting angles, loves color, and is best when you let go and trust in his creativity versus forcing the stand-pose-smile concept. He was by far my favorite vendor.

Make Up: A++   Jolie Artistry

After researching a few make-up artists and the same old recommendations on The Knot, I chose Jolie.  She was the only artist that had women of color in her portfolio which told me she had skills to work on any skin color and type, important for my bridal party and me.  Also, her prices were better than most!  We first met when I booked her for a trial when I did my e-photos.  She came on time, totally prepared and when we started running behind (my fault), she was able to finish the job with top quality.  I booked her for the wedding and she came to my bridal suite, did all my bridesmaids and mother.  By the time she got to me, I was a nervous wreck.  She had an amazing way of staying calm herself, despite any kinks in the schedule, and really calmed me down.  The best part – I was so nervous that I yelled, “Someone give me a beer!” and Jolie instantly popped up a little tray for me to set it on.   She even let me take drink breaks during my make-up application.  HA!  That makes me sound like a lush but it felt like Jolie really cared and was doing everything in her power to make sure the day went as planned.  The make up lasted all from 2pm – midnight and I received a million compliments.

Flowers: A+    Bloom 47/Adria Hunter

Adria works out of her home and I loved the personal, 1:1 service she was able to provide.  We met and she went through lots of images and asked many questions to get an idea of my vision for flowers.  Personally, I knew nothing about flowers but she helped me patiently on my budget and came up with various options that helped me save money.  She was patient through some of the wedding planning drama that caused my flower order to change a few times.  On the day of the wedding, I almost cried when the flowers were delivered.  The bouquets were perfect!  Her attention to detail was impeccable and I could tell that she worked slowly and purposefully with the highest quality.    

Cake: A     Dotte Cakes

We decided to go with Lori who is a part of a 3-person baking team who work out of their homes in KCK. While they make all kinds of cakes, we were looking for someone who could make a variety of cupcakes.  As soon as I sent an inquiry via email, I got a call back within 24 hours to talk about my vision. Lori was always on top of things.  She asked detailed questions about exactly what my wedding colors/flowers were so she could match the cupcake stand and had me send her images I found online for cupcake wrappers in damask, etc.  I loved the variety of cake flavors they offered ranging from Amaretto to Pumpkin Spice!  She was completely flexible in our budget and cut me a sweet deal that made 120 cupcakes so much less than a big wedding cake.     

Caterer: A    Cupini’s

Cupini’s – Westport was a vendor with permission to cater at our reception venue, Boulevard Brewery.  Eddie Cupini was so easy to work with.  We had a great first meeting with him and sampled so much food.  I loved that he and his father cared so much about the quality and taste of their food…we knew they were going to do the best job possible for us.  The servers, menu, linens and silverware were all handled by Cupini’s.  The display of food (buffet) at the reception was elegant and colorful.  Our guests were absolutely impressed with the food and kept asking who we order it from.  Cupini's made the planning process amazingly easy. 

Reception: B+/A    Boulevard Brewery

What we liked most is that their package was much more inclusive than other venues….it included tables, chairs, dance floor, AV, mics, bar with wine/beer.  Also, we saved 2k off the regular package since we got married in the winter.  All we really had to do was find a caterer, cake and DJ.  However, if you use Boulevard, I would say be clear on exactly what is in the package as some items weren’t conveyed to me until a bit later.  I wasn’t aware that a groom’s cake was included (very cool one with Boulevard beer bottles in a cooler) so in a way, we felt like we wasted money on cupcakes.  Also, they only offered two kinds of wine in the package.  You can buy more bottles and more varieties separately but I didn’t know this until a bit later in the process and it impacted my budget.  Otherwise, we were satisfied with the facility, their serving staff, and overall were very happy with our experience.

DJ: A     DJ Chara

Chara Ingrassia - if you want someone who has the ability to keep the party going, is a fun, outgoing personality, that is Chara.  I think she was dancing behind the DJ booth having just as much fun as our guests.  We didn’t use “typical” wedding songs for the ceremony and she was completely cool with it.  For example, for our reception entrance, our guests draped the hallway in a soul train line and our wedding party came out to an instrumental of 50 Cents “In Da Club.” Then the hubby and I came out to an instrumental of Notorius BIG “Hypnotize.”  Chara was all about our creativity and was open to making sure the ceremony and music truly represented “us.”  She was on time, professional and overall had the perfect personality for a DJ.

Wedding bliss since January 14, 2012!

Re: KC Vendor Reviews

• Options
    I'm so glad you had a good experience with Stephanie; that's who I hired as my day-of coordinator!  Very glad to hear she's awesome.

-Kel
  • Options
    Amy,

We worked with Marla at Boulevard for the details of event planning.  She was nice to work wtih but I felt like I had to prompt her for a few things.  

Ask her about the groom's cake!  They gave us a choice to feed 100 or 200 people (all included in the package) and we had lots of choices of favors.  All we would've had to do was ask the caterer to cut it (watch the caterer cutting fee which could be $1-2 per slice).  We didn't know about the cake until after we had already ordered cupcakes.  So we ended up putting the groom's cake on display and they let us take it with us to freeze at home.  I wasn't into having a big wedding cake and just wanted a dessert to give my guests.  If I had known about the groom's cake, I wouldn've just served that.  It looked really cool and goes well with the theme - Boulevard bottles in a cooler.

I also had to prompt her about timing for items she needed leading up to the wedding date such as:
    • due date for wine order
    • due date for image on party favors that should come with your package - pint glasses with a monogram pf your choice and the Boulevard logo (they always order extra so give them your exact guest count...you can take the extras and my hubby and I now have 24 glasses)
    • due date for signage for parking, etc.
    • due date for floor layout (I changed quite a few things from their regular set up and they were very flexible with me)
    • due date to confirm guest count
    We planned for 150 people.  For wine, we were given a case/12 bottles of Char and a case/12 bottles of a Cab-Mer mix.  To have a greater variety I then ordered 18 additional bottles (3 White Zin, 10 Riesling, and 5 Shiraz) which came to about $240.  They have a list of 25+ types of wine and the bottles ranged from $9.50 to $58.00.  I was on the cheaper end.  For the addtional bottles I ordered, the agreement was that I could take any unopened bottles home and I had 4 left at the end of the night.  Ask them if they still allow for wine by the bottle because I heard they were changing it to purchasing by case only which can obviously dig into your budget.

Again, I loved the facility.  The bartenders were great and overall service was on point the day of.  But again, prompt for the details beforehand so that you don't have "surprises" regarding your budget or get stressed by the facility's deadlines.  Also, they were very good at allowing me to come in with people to make plans for the reception ahead of time (i.e. Day of Coordinator, bridesmaids, etc). Just ask!

Tammy

• Options
    Yay, so happy to hear about Vaughn! We are using her for our June 9 wedding and so far she is worth EVERY PENNY!
  • Options
    Hi Tammy,

I did contact Jolie and were meeting this Sunday. I will let you know how things went. Thanks for the review.

Yalonda
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yalonda - I hope you like Jolie!  I really enjoyed working with her.

Vaughn Events is amazing, just like everyone says!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards