March 2013 Weddings
Options

Eloping is sounding better and better

I am seriously considering eloping and taking a loss of $500 jus to not  have to deal with any of the bull anymore. I have already changed MOH and my new MOH (also asked to be my MOH) keeps flaking out on me. I don't ask for much. All I have asked to go dress shopping. I can only go on the weekend because I don't have a babysitter and now FH wants to make it even harder. I don't get it I am doing everything myself and havn't asked anything of anyone. I am paying for the whole thing ( i know many people are; not the point right now) and I can't even get FH to help with OUR freaking wedding or just make things a little easier. I am so annoyed I am sorry if this doesn't make total sense. I don't know what to do anymore. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Eloping is sounding better and better

• Options
    I'm sorry to hear about all of that!! Try not to stress too much, this should be a fun time for you and your FI! I have had issues with my MOH not helping too but I am actually having a good time doing things on my own. It does suck when you don't have anyone to give an opinion on things though. Have you explained to them how much it would mean to them if they would help out or support you, since this day means so much to you?

Also, there is nothing wrong with eloping or just going to the courthouse if you feel like that would be less stress, but if a bigger wedding is what you really want then don't let others discourage you. A lot of grooms don't get very involved in wedding planning, he just wants to marry you! :) If you did elope, you could always have a reception or party for your friends and family when you get back if you wanted to! I hope that helps a little bit!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry things aren't going too well :-( I know the feeling with FI not being super helpful. It's like pulling teeth to get him to give me a solid opinion (not "yeah sure, I guess" or "whatever you want") or to actually take some initiative. I asked him to contact hotels for room blocks and he did that.. sorta. He contacted a few and some got back to him with an email address. I don't think he ever emailed them. It's like I have to nag him to do things, but I don't want to because I don't want to be annoying, but things need to get done! Argh!

One thing I do have to say is that although it would be nice for MOH to help, it's not technically her job to do so. Mine hasn't helped a ton but that's mostly because she lives 4 hours away. My mom and sister also love doing all the crafty things for the wedding so I'm lucky that I have them. But one other thing to think of: getting too much help can be annoying. I get opinions left and right from my mom, sister and other family members. Some are nice, but it gets to the point where I want to tell them "it's my wedding, not yours!"

Anyways, maybe sit down and have a talk with your FI. Explain to him how stressed out you are and how great it would be if he could take care of x, y and z. I find giving them specific tasks helps a lot. Also, tell him how you're feeling about eloping or cutting the wedding down and see how you both feel about it. If you decide you want something super small and he still wants the current plan, tell him he needs to make more of an effort then.

Hope you can figure something out. Wedding planning seems fun at first.. then you get to the 6 month mark or so and I think that's when people go crazy. This is the time where there's a lot left to do and it feels like you're running out of time. Just remember you still have 6 months. There are some things that should be done soon but most things can wait a little bit still. Take your time and find some time to relax in there. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards