Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

dry reception

Hi all;While I know this is purely my decision ( groom is for it as well) I'm just curious about your various experiences at receptions. Have many been dry? FI and I don't drink, neither does anyone in our wedding party so I was planning on coffee, tea, water and lemonade.
This is going to be a brunch buffet.
Thoughts??

Re: dry reception

• Options
    I've never been to a dry wedding, but there's no problem with having one.  I think they especially work well at brunch or daytime weddings, where people may miss it less than at an evening wedding.  

I would consider having some kind of soda for guests that like that kind of thing.  If you wanted a fun drink, you could think about a smoothie bar, since it's brunch.  
  • Options
    I've never been to a dry wedding, even for brunch receptions.    

I would not mind, it's just not done in my social circle.  Personally, I would add a soda option and both hot and iced tea.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In our state you can't do dry weddings, darn it Wisconsin, so what we talked to our site and they said they only have to serve it if someone asks, so as long as no one asks, then it won't be a problem. Since there will be no open bar, I'm hoping everyone realized we don't want alcohol at the wedding. I have also kept it a secret that they techinically can buy a drink if they asked a server, so I'm hoping since the guests don't know, there won't be any alcohol going around.

We, however, have an unlimited soda bar. 

I prefer dry weddings since the ones I have been too have been kind of "crazy"  and I just don't like drunk people taking up the dance floor, so we decided to go dry. 
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dry-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:af09e427-186a-47ea-922b-6fcdeda5c637Post:2cff361d-794f-4a1e-b4cf-1dc8b24f7141">Re: dry reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]In our state you can't do dry weddings, darn it Wisconsin, so what we talked to our site and they said they only have to serve it if someone asks, so as long as no one asks, then it won't be a problem. Since there will be no open bar, I'm hoping everyone realized we don't want alcohol at the wedding. I have also kept it a secret that they techinically can buy a drink if they asked a server, so I'm hoping since the guests don't know, there won't be any alcohol going around. We, however, have an unlimited soda bar.  I prefer dry weddings since the ones I have been too have been kind of "crazy"  and I just don't like drunk people taking up the dance floor, so we decided to go dry. 
    Posted by catloverd[/QUOTE]

<div>That is the craziest thing I have have every heard.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I find it hard to believe that EVERY VENUE in Wisconsin serves alcohol.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Now if you mean you picked a venue like a country club and there is a bar open, then that is different.  I'm sure there is a rule stating they cannot deny serving a guest  if asked soley because they are a guest of yours.  (assuming legally they can drink and they are not already under the influence).  </div><div>
    </div><div>That is different than saying you can't have a dry wedding.  You can have  dry wedding, you just have to pick a different venue.</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dry-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:af09e427-186a-47ea-922b-6fcdeda5c637Post:31819bc4-1a93-4808-8fd5-b6943a86655a">Re: dry reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: dry reception : That is the craziest thing I have have every heard.   I find it hard to believe that EVERY VENUE in Wisconsin serves alcohol. Now if you mean you picked a venue like a country club and there is a bar open, then that is different.  I'm sure there is a rule stating they cannot deny serving a guest  if asked soley because they are a guest of yours.  (assuming legally they can drink and they are not already under the influence).   That is different than saying you can't have a dry wedding.  You can have  dry wedding, you just have to pick a different venue.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

She's being sarcastic. Drinking as a part of celebrating is a huge tradition in this state.
    There are certainly people in Wisconsin who don't drink, but the majority of us like to celebrate with a good beer (or two...or ten...)!
  • Options
    I'm going to skip over the WI insanity and just say that I went to a dry evening wedding, and I left after all the formalities, like cake cutting and the first dances.
    I wasn't mad, and that was their choice, but my parents and I chose to take the party to a bar down the street.
    However at an afternoon wedding it wouldn't be as strange.
  • Options
    I've never been to a dry wedding.  I'm not really a fan of dry weddings, but it's definitely more acceptable when it's a brunch reception.  I don't think anyone needs alcohol at 11am.  
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dry-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:af09e427-186a-47ea-922b-6fcdeda5c637Post:4e444ebe-18e6-4c89-91a6-cee4d7fbe8eb">Re: dry reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: dry reception : She's being sarcastic. Drinking as a part of celebrating is a huge tradition in this state. There are certainly people in Wisconsin who don't drink, but the majority of us like to celebrate with a good beer (or two...or ten...)!
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks, yeah, Wisconsin is known for loving their beer. I grew up there. Sure I could pick a different site, but that would mean like the backyard of house or a park, and then all my beer loving family would bring their beers!</div><div>
    </div><div>So we went with a venue in hopes they could control it, but they told us by law they can't deny service to someone if they are of legal age and want to buy a beer. People also can't bring in their own beer (as well as food) due to liability issues (food poisoning), if they do, they will be told to leave. </div><div>
    </div><div>So I could have a dry wedding, as long as no one finds out they can just ask for a beer and then buy one. </div><div>
    </div><div>Sorry, if it wasn't clear that I was just making a joke. I'm sure there are people who are able to, but Wisconsin is big on drinking. If you're under 21 you can even drink if you have parent supervision! Crazy Wisconsin. </div>
  • Options
    I also have never been to a dry reception. I would imagine they would be shorter as PP said but as long as you are ok with people leaving earlier I don't see a problem.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ours will be dry. It just depends on what is accepted in your social circle. None of my familyand friends drink except a couple aunts who are alcoholics. I'm not saying that to be mean..it's true. They are alcoholics. If they insist on getting something, they can escape to the bar at the top of the hotel, but I'm not supporting their habit. FFIL is incredibly sensitive to it due to his abusive father and my dad was a drug addict and alcoholic who went to jail, a psych ward, then rehab where he found Jesus. Even if my FI and I wanted a bar, we wouldn't in respect to our fathers. Having a dry wedding saves us money and makes us more comfortable as we don't like being in a drinking atmosphere. Most weddings I've been to in my area and social circle have been dry and the party goes all night.
  • Options
    I'm with Sharp on this one. No one in our social circle really drinks, except for an ocassional glass of wine with a nice dinner. Our parties go on for hours! We don't need alcohol to enjoy ourselves. Our wedding will be dry.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dry-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:af09e427-186a-47ea-922b-6fcdeda5c637Post:ea8a0ba7-2119-4b56-82a5-599fd7d27bb1">Re: dry reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you're under 21 you can even drink if you have parent supervision! Crazy Wisconsin. 

Same goes for Texas and a lot of other states.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dry-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:af09e427-186a-47ea-922b-6fcdeda5c637Post:502f7057-f20f-483e-8478-f26e3d1e5c88">Re: dry reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: dry reception : Same goes for Texas and a lot of other states.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

<div>Louisiana also.   Although the server can't actually serve it to the minor.  They have to take the order from the parent.  Then give it to the parent, who then passes it on to the child.</div><div>
    </div><div>Of course, I don't see what the big deal was.   Although I was traveling through Asia and Europe during my late-teens years and could drink legally anyway.  So there's that.</div>

• Options
    I went to one. My family (and I) are very pro-alcohol, trust me, but I went to the wedding of a friend who did not serve alcohol. She and her husband do not drink for religious reasons (they met while working for the headquarters of their religion, actually). Her husband's family is of the same religion, and as people who don't drink, many of their friends also don't drink.

It was a traditional evening wedding (6pm) with a dinner reception and went until about 11:30. She's a huge boardgame fanatic and they had a boardgame as a centerpiece on each table. They did punch at cocktail hour, then traditional dinner and dancing. Honestly? Most people in their crowd wouldn't have had a drink. I was really tired from driving 7 hours the night before, so I probably wouldn't have wanted to drink much anyway.

It's kind of a "know your crowd" situation. I know tons of people would caution against having a dry wedding at night with board games, but theirs was absolutely fine. Lots of fun.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dry-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:af09e427-186a-47ea-922b-6fcdeda5c637Post:ea8a0ba7-2119-4b56-82a5-599fd7d27bb1">Re: dry reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: dry reception : Thanks, yeah, Wisconsin is known for loving their beer. I grew up there. Sure I could pick a different site, but that would mean like the backyard of house or a park, and then all my beer loving family would bring their beers! So we went with a venue in hopes they could control it, but they told us by law they can't deny service to someone if they are of legal age and want to buy a beer. People also can't bring in their own beer (as well as food) due to liability issues (food poisoning), if they do, they will be told to leave.  So I could have a dry wedding, as long as no one finds out they can just ask for a beer and then buy one.  Sorry, if it wasn't clear that I was just making a joke. I'm sure there are people who are able to, but Wisconsin is big on drinking. If you're under 21 you can even drink if you have parent supervision! Crazy Wisconsin. 

Well, yeah, but they can tell your guests, "The bride and groom are hosting soda, tea, water and lemonade only," which might sort of dissuade them from ordering a beer if they know it's not free.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I've been to one dry wedding and it was an evening reception. Honestly H and I probably would have stayed later than we did if there was alcohol, but we still thought it was a lovely wedding and had a good time dancing for awhile. It also didn't help that we knew no one except the B&G, so if all our friends had been there, we would've stayed longer as well.

Dry weddings are totally fine and I think they are even more common at Brunch time. My one suggestion would be to perhaps add a couple flavors of juice as well as the lemonade.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dry-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:af09e427-186a-47ea-922b-6fcdeda5c637Post:d4392deb-d877-42ee-9e26-1086007e7fd1">dry reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all;While I know this is purely my decision ( groom is for it as well) I'm just curious about your various experiences at receptions. Have many been dry? FI and I don't drink, neither does anyone in our wedding party so I was planning on coffee, tea, water and lemonade. This is going to be a brunch buffet. Thoughts??
    Posted by books59b[/QUOTE]

Dry weddings are perfectly fine, but don't have a dry wedding because you, your FI and your bridal party doesn't drink.  That's not a good reason.  The reception is your thank you to your guests, and I bet many of them do drink and would appreciate a glass of wine or a beer.

Now, if you want to keep it dry for personal reasons or monetary reasons, go for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards