Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Has anyone else had this problem

So I sent out my Save the Dates a few weeks back. On them, it said to contact the travel agent for best availabilty by October 22nd (tomorrow). How it's set up is that people pay an initial $50 deposit now to reserve the room at the hotel, followed by additional payments. So I checked with the travel agent today, and basically the only people that have paid the deposit are our immediate family members plus one friend, with a few additional people inquiring (but no deposit put down). So basically out of 40 expected people, with 10-15 more maybes that we weren't sure about--11 (13 if you include me and FI) people have paid the deposit by noon today. I sent out an email earlier this week to my guest list that hadn't paid a deposit yet reminding them of the date and explaining the whole deposit situation, and for the most part that worked; there's only 5 people that haven't at least inquired out of the 12 I sent the email to (and two of those are a couple on the maybe list that is getting married 2 months before me, so I'm not surprised at all they haven't decided if they can come or not). I'm going to have FI send out a reminder email to his people, and FI's parents can worry about the people they're inviting and their relatives.

Anyway, I guess this is more of a semi-rant than anything, but really? How hard is it to at the very least find out all the details from the travel agent or even ask us about it?! I guess it's not imperative they get their deposit in by tomorrow since they can book after that date (and the STDs said "Best Availibility by October 22nd," so maybe they think they can just roll the dice to see if they can get rooms later or something; however, that's also why I explained the whole process in my reminder email). I guess I'm just glad my immediate family is all booked, my bridesmaids are all booked, and FI's parents and two of his brothers are booked. Some of the family we know are coming are still not booked, which is infuriating.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Has anyone else had this problem

• Options
    I'm not there yet for rsvp's or anything...but I can only imagine how frustrating!  Ugh!  Glad to hear that family, bridesmaids, FI's parents and a few brothers have made their deposit!  Good luck!  I don't think making a deposit is a thing I'd procrastinate on!
  • Options
    Well if you just sent STDs people are probably deciding whether or not they will be able to attend.  I would just try and be patient and wait and see if people contact you or the travel agent. 
  • Options
    Yes we had this.  But some people need more time then a few weeks to decide if they want to go or not.   We sent our STD's a few months prior to the group rate dead line and some need more time then that.  We only have 14 people going out of the 60ish people we invited.  Some people also like to do their own research and find their own flights/accomadations and such.  Give it time who knows more people might book, just book later on on thier own terms.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Maybe some people are thinking about staying at another place or want to check out options before committing? I know it's still frustrating though!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm getting married right around the same time as you, and nobody (except for FI and I) have booked their trip it makes you feel better ;) I'm not really concerned right now though. We've only sent out our STD's, invites will go out in 2 months or so. I'm not really expecting anyone other than both of our parents and maybe my sisters to book before then. Most people I've invited say they probably wont book until about 4 months prior, once they get a better handle on their finances and time off work. Maybe your guests are doing the same?  I also agree with Kashy, perhaps your guests are doing their own research and trying to find a better deal? I know it's tough but try to be patient. A lot of people just need time to make a big decision like spending money on a vacation, and sometimes it takes more than a few weeks to make that decision.

• Options
    Yup, been there, done that. People will do what they can to wait last minute. They also probably look at booking the rooms in conjunction with flights. Do they know that they can book the rooms separately from flights? Many of our guests didn't know that. We sent the STDs in February 2010 and invitations July 2010 to allow everyone plenty of time to book rooms and book flights. 91/1/10 was our RSVP date and let's just say I had 10 people book after that date. Our deposit was due end of September so we wanted to make sure 80% of the rooms were booked at least. However with our contract we were able to lower the number of rooms by 30% and 10% a few weeks later if needed. We definitely lowered the rooms to cover only those people we know were booking. After that, people decided to book so it was easy for our TA to add more rooms to our group rate. It was stressful, but because we only covered the definites and not the maybes we were able to work everything out. I'm so glad that's over with! We have 62 guests for the wedding all book and paid for (flight and hotel) as of last week...which was 1 month before the wedding lol.
  • Options
    People that don't RSVP... don't even get me started.  I feel like they should at least give you an idea of whether they are coming or even if they're thinking about coming.  I hope everything worked out for you and everyone go their butts in gear!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 154 Invited image 60 Ready to Party! image 84 Party Poopers image 10 MIA
    RSVP Date:February 14, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards