Students

Wedding Date vs. Grad School?

Hi all! I bet your looking forward to the end of the semester, as am I! 

I have a small dilemma...My fiance and I were originally planning a December wedding for 2012 (time to save, get a house, etc.) We had our location and many ideas set  but have not signed any contracts yet. However, I just found out today that I was excepted into grad school (yay!!!!!!) and a December date seems unfeasible with final projects/exams. I am considering moving our date to summer of 2012 (June-Aug) because it would be less stressful and therefore more fun to plan and enjoy! What do you think? Should we change the whole "feel" of our wedding to a summer date? Or should we go through with December and make it work? Just looking for some advice from fellow students and brides Smile 

TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Date vs. Grad School?

• Congrats on getting into grad school!!

This is completely up to you and your fiance... did you have your heart set on a winter wedding? Did all your ideas only work for a winter wedding or would they translate into a summer wedding?

I think it would be stressful to plan a wedding plus school but it'd be do able if you really wanted it. Personally I don't think I could do it but I'm a major stresser...

Good luck!!
  • Personally, I think it's up to you. I'm planning a December wedding even though I'll be in the middle of grad school. I knew I wanted a December wedding, so we've just been planning all the stuff in advance so it wont be too stressful later. You have a lot of time still, so if you want the winter wedding just start getting things done and booked early. People thought I was crazy for getting so much done in advance, but I know it will let me have the wedding I want without the stress of doing a lot of planning right around the end of a grad school semester!
  • as said in PP, it's totally up to you. If you think you will be too stressed and won't enjoy your wedding move it...but I can tell you I graduate 6 days before my wedding and I think as long as I stick to my plan, it will be fine.

Anniversary
  • i strongly advise getting married in summer or when you know for sure you will have a break (look at the academic calendar). every school and program is different, but many require extras outside of lecture which could interfere with your wedding planning and wedding also. i wouldn't take the risk of something mandatory coming up and ruining your plans. congrats on getting accepted! Tongue out
    5/27/12
  • It's up to you. Either way, you'll have school things going on fairly close to the wedding.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • What's your schedule like? I wouldn't recommend putting your wedding DURING the finals time....but for most semester based programs you have at least three weeks off during December/Jan (if not more) so there's not real reason why you couldn't have your wedding then.

Yes, your finals will be important, but it's also (at least for me) not like college where you show up at X place at Y time and take the test. All of my finals have been take-home, so you can take them in the dead middle of the night if that's when you feel prepared :P

If I was in your situation waiting another 7 months just wouldn't be worth it.
  • If your program allows for summers off then I would get married in the summer. That way you won't have school to worry about before your wedding.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thank you all for your thoughtful responses! I have decided to tentatively keep our plans for winter, but I'm waiting to speak with my professors over this summer to make sure the weekend wouldn't directly conflict with anything school-related. If it does, I will plan for a mid-June wedding. It's funny because even though we are having a long engagement, with everything going on in life (school/work/planning/etc...) it seems like the wedding is coming up so quickly! Best of luck to you on the last part of the semester! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hii CONGRATS on getting engaged and getting into grad school!!!!

Ok so speaking from my perspective, I am currently in school final semester and planning a wedding at the same time and working.

I will highly and strongly suggest you to change your December wedding to Summer wedding.

Why? Because your first yr in Grad school is the most critical time this is where you develop your habits. Being newly married will be extremely difficult. Either School or your Husband will get less attention and since you are beginning both in Decmeber it will effect one thing at least. And you dont want to jeopardize your relationship nor your future.

And trust me you want to enjoy your newly married life, Change it to the summer you'll be with him sooner ;)

I hope everything works out for you. congrats!!!!
  • LenaFLenaF member
    First Comment
    It's so up to you! Fi and I are getting married on May 12, 2012 so, it's a week after Spring semester for me and it's right in the middle of Grad. school for him. It'll be a little stressful but we're making it work.

If you guys think you can do it, go for it! You've still got plenty of time to plan it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards