Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Need to vent-Murphys Law Wedding

Hi! I just need to get vent about my wedding. First off, I must say, I am truely happy being married to my best friend. Seeing him at the end of the aisle was the greatest feeling. I had a completely Murphy's Law wedding. I got married the wedding of the huge storm that hit the east coast that knocked out a lot of power. The storm hit the night of the rehearsal dinner. I woke up the next morning and the hotel had no power or generator, the truck with the food was stuck behind a tree and there was no way we could do our reception there. Thankfully I got an early start in the day. I had to drive the neighboring city in hopes of finding a hotel to take a shower before my 930 hair appointment, thankfully I was able to. We had to scramble to work the who reception. We had to move it to the neighboring city and ended up with pizza, spaghetti and baked ziti  from a local business for our food instead of a well thought out menu that we had planned. I get a call later on from my liimo driver. I reserved a 1950s Rolles Royce to leave the reception and he notified me that the limo was broke down and had been broke down since the time I reserved it. I ended up getting dressed in a small room at an interstate Motel 6 instead of the large suite I had reserved at the original hotel. Or reception went from a large ballroom to a tiny conference room. Our open bar turned to water, tea and lemoade only. I had paper plates from dollar tree. Most of the things I had planned, created etc for the reception ended up not even being used.The wedding was outside and my finance told me, "oh don't worry about snakes. There will not be any", and of course, a snake was near where I had to stand to wait to go down the aisle. The people at the wedding site was not able to put microphones at the site and we had no PA system. With the gas stations being very backed up and busy, the second shooter who was to take pictures of me getting ready was late, and my husband was nearly late becuase of the same reason. And the ceremony was getting set up as the guests were waiting for it to start. To top everything off a guest wore white. Not just a white dress, but white shoes, necklace, earrings etc. 
It is just hard because we saved and sacrificed so much during planning to have the wedding/reception of our dreams. Everything was DIY and lots of time and effort was put in it. I have to say too, everyone pulled together and helped so much. It was great to see everyone we love there and spend the day with us. And I am truely blessed to be married to my best friend.

Re: Need to vent-Murphys Law Wedding

• Options
    So sorry this happened to you but you have the right attitude. At the end of the day you married the man that you love.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm so sorry you had to go through this, but if you got all of the bad lucks out of the way at the very beginning - imaging all the good luck that must be waiting for you throughout your marriage :)

• Options
    Dissapointing for all your planning to go down the tubes, but you really made best of the situation and pulled off something decent in the end!  Couldn't have done it myself. 

As for the guest wearing white, there is always somebody.  I recently went to a wedding where not one, but TWO girls wore white lace dresses!  They were really clueless or attention grabbers.
  • Options
    That's so awful! :( I also live in VA and one of my co-workers got married that same weekend at the end of June.  She was fortunate that nothing was affected by it, but I was thinking of her all day and wondering how many other people getting married that weekend may have been stuck without power and needing to make changes to what they'd planned.

It sounds like you have a great attitude about it, but your disappointment and frustration are completely understandable and anyone would feel that way in your situation. I came across an awesome wedding video earlier this year that reminds me of your story--it was a couple who were supposed to get married in Atlantic City at a hotel, but their wedding was cancelled because the hotel closed in anticipation of Hurricane Irene.  They moved the whole event to someone's house and they decided to have the videographer they'd hired go ahead and film the day as it unfolded. I remember watching it and thinking, 'I hope I could handle it as gracefully as they did if something went wrong with my wedding.' It helped to see a couple that had everything go wrong and were still so happy just to be getting married--it really boiled down to what was important.  You sound like you have the same outlook, and that means that you and your husband must be a wonderful couple! 
  • Options
    I'm sorry that your wedding day was so stormy but, in your case, I think your ability to cope indicate future smooth sailing :)

Good luck!
  • Options
    Sorry about the hiccups in your wedding but all the best to your marriage!
  • Options
    I'm just glad that you got through it all and I am sure one day it will make for some great laughs when you tell the story to your children and recap on holidays with your family.  Plus it puts things in perspective for someone like me and makes me realize I just have to relax cause no one can control everything. 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry! What a letdown, but you're on the right track: You got married!! And you solved the issues to the best of your ability on the shortest of short notice ever, with help from some awesome friends and family. You can't ask for much more than that in the face of such a massive storm.

By the way, congratulations! :)
  • Options
    I really admire how you've handled the situation. Last year my friend got married as Hurricane Irene struck the coast, and she decided not to postpone her wedding. Similar to you she had no power, food, limo or boat to take her to the reception, and also no guests as they closed the highways leading to the shore (she planned to get married on the beach). I don't know how she did it, but she said once her hair was done and the day progressed, it was her Wedding Day no matter what! You got through it with the man you love and that is the most important thing!! Congratulations!
  • Options
    Ditto Giaspo ... you are handling this with a lot of grace & calm.  I seriously would have hit maximum overload panic & chaos, so you dear swan, are totally awesome!

If you still have the stuff, and you don't want it to go to waste, you could always throw a backyard BBQ using whatever you do have, and just with local guests.  It is a shame to see that go to waste, or you could save it for a renewal of vows next year, but also on a very small, budget friendly level.

If you two sailed so smoothly through this, I'm sure any "crisis" will be handled well ... kudos to both of you, and congrats - you are indeed a married woman! Smile
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards