Offbeat Weddings

Aladdin Theme?

So my fiance and I were planning on having a beach wedding, but decided to not go with that idea. And now were trying to come up with a them. One of which was Aladdin. Now we're not huge into the middle east's traditions or look. but We're looking for ideas that people would get are from Aladdin. Any Ideas?

Re: Aladdin Theme?

• Just a heads up if you're not Indian or Middle Eastern some people might find it offensive to use aspects of another culture as a backdrop/gimmick for your wedding day because you think it's cool. Not trying to imply that's what you're doing but just letting you know you might possibly get some resistence in that form. There's nothing wrong with having an offbeat fun wedding or a themed one but beware going too far and letting it end up like a children's birthday party. Again, I really hope that didn't come off as offensive; it's just really hard to read tone on here and those were the only two issues I could see you encountering with this idea. On to ideas:

Colors: Purples, dark blues, light blue/teal/peacock, metallic colors for accent: gold, silver, brass
    Atmosphere: Depending on your budget/venue you could use purple&dark blue sheer panels to form a tent like atmosphere inside your venue. You want it to feel luxurious like the palace with rich, deep colors and metallic highlights of gold, silver, etc. 

Centerpiece Ideas:
    - Tall vases with dyed bright blue water, (think Jasmine's outfit), and a lily pad flower on top like in her fountain. 
    - brass genie lamp stacked on top of other objects if you want height or just placed in the center
    - no idea where you would find them but if you could get a-hold of little toy animal figurines you could glue them into a large pyramid stack like Jasmine's father was building
    - metallic framed photos of you two

General Decoration: (Keep in mind anything not bolted down could be taken home by a guest so if you're renting things make sure no one takes the centerpieces home)
    - Eastern lamps/lanterns
    - Light blue tablecloths with the dark sheer paneling around
    - If your budget allows it, use Persian looking rugs under the tables or for the dance floor. Perhaps a Persian hallway runner for the aisle during the ceremony. 
    - Little elephant card holders at the tables

Cheese factor moment but if you can embrace, go for it:
    First dance to "Whole New World"

Good luck with your wedding! Sounds like you guys will have a fun one.
  • FluffyGumDrop gave you some great advice. I just wanted to stress one of her points, and that's becareful about overdoing a theme and making it 'birthday partyish'. Themes can make a wedding GORGEOUS or it can make a wedding uber cheesy depending on how they are executed.

I would definitely go towards pulling the colours from the theme, and using those and then adding in some fun details. Colours are SO easy to incorporate for example adding a sash to your dress, bridesmaids dresses, bouquet and jewellery colours, your shoes, etc.

Also another great way people tie in themes is through the cake and cake topper.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards