Just Engaged and Proposals

Foiled Proposal

I just love the story of my proposal because it perfectly describes my FH.  His name is Daniel.

So many things went "wrong" that I can't help but laugh now.

First off, he bought a ring back when we'd only been talking online for about 5 months (we met at 11 months after talking online) and tried to keep it a secret from me. However, he could never keep anything from me. So two years later, I've still been waiting for this proposal.

He moved to MO over a year ago (he's from SC) and went home to visit for the first time in August '09. I knew that the ring was still in Charleston because he had been living with me for a few months and I know he didn't trust me enough to have the ring in my room. Wink
Once he got back from Charleston, I expected the proposal to come soon. Little did I know, a few short days later, I was walking across his apartment and stepped on something that was in a pairs of his pants' pocket. I looked at him and he go really suspicious - yanked the pants away and started making excuses. So we play cat and mouse for a little bit but I gave up because I knew what it was and didn't want to ruin it too much for him.

Later that day, after I'd left Daniel's and was getting ready in my own room, Daniel decides he's going to take me and our dog, Zoey, on a picnic. We've never gone on a planned picnic before, so I knew what was going on.
We ended up getting lost on the way to the lake and found a back entrance into the area (very secluded and right on the water). It couldn't have been better - but was on accident! We did all the mushy proposal stuff and then I asked him, "So did you ask my dad yet?" (This is something my parents have ALWAYS been adament about) His reply : Well, no.
The reason: I found the box too early. He wasn't ready to propose and I spoiled it on accident.
To tell you the truth, he spoiled it when he put the ring in his pants and left the pants on the floor - but that's Daniel for you!
To cut the story off, Daniel and I decided to hurry to my parents' home (we live up at my university) and keep the proposal a secret and then have him ask my parents. By the time we got back into town, my ring was done being resized and I got to call my parents and tell them about how Daniel just proposed!

It does kind of stink that he didn't plan ahead, but at the same time, I can't blame him. Just the circumstances. I love my ring, too! It's his mothers :) She got a new ring for her 30th anniversary to his dad. It's an antique! :)  Apparently, the ring he got me back when we were two years younger, his mom saw and said "That's too small!" And gave him her ring. I love his mom so much because nothing could mean more to me than an heirloom.

Did any of you accidentally foil your FH's proposal??
http://mrsdanielparsons.weebly.com Can't figure out the HTML stuff ^^ That's my bio!

Re: Foiled Proposal

• I almost did. My fiance had planned to propose on our one year anniversary, after a concert. He had planned to do it on the front steps of his house because that is where we sat often in the beginning of our relationship and would just talk. We consider it where our relationship began. I had a hunch he might do it at the concert so i started to get really excited at the concert, watching him closely. I got really bummed when we left and he hadn't proposed, especially on the ride home when he started getting all mushy and reminiscing about our relationship. I started acting all cold and by the time we got home i REALLy had to go to the bathroom. I started to run up the front steps and he yelled me for to slow down. I told him i was going to wet my pants if i waited any longer and brushed him off. He said "TURN AROUND" in a voice i rarely heard him use and there he was on one knee. I felt bad because i'd been kinda mean all night...but he got me in the end...he's all about making it meaningful and said the concert would not have been meaningful enough.
  • No but I could have, if I was watching our budget like I should have been doing. He asked me 3 days after it came in the mail (from amazon) because he thought I would find out when I looked at our budget the next time (software accesses both of our checking and savings accounts). He is not one to plan elaborate things, and I love that about him. It was a totally random Saturday morning after brunch and it was perfect.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • It stinks that he didn't plan ahead? It kinda sounds like he did with the planned picnic, right?

Nope, I was completely surprised by my proposal, and didn't have a clue.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Well, he didn't plan ahead because we'd just been at my parents' home for three days and he didn't ask. And the picnic was because he didn't know what else to do. He actually got the idea from my MOH because he went over to her place and kinda freaked out because I knew he had the ring, haha.
    http://mrsdanielparsons.weebly.com Can't figure out the HTML stuff ^^ That's my bio!
  • I didn't screw it up, but my parents managed to bungle it. He had originally planned this elaborate proposal for our first anniversary, and my parents screwed that up by announcing the day before our anniversary that they were separating. So I was a mess for about a week and he later told me that he didn't want me to feel like he was only proposing to make me feel better.

The actual proposal was a complete surpirse and it was TOTALLY unplanned. We were sitting in his room with a friend, talking, and I mentioned that she should see the ring. So he pulls it out of the drawer by his bed and asks me then and there, two weeks and four days after his original plan fell through, and so spontaneous that he even surprised himself with it (as he told me that afternoon).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mr. Teacher is not very romantic. When we started talking about marriage we picked out the ring together (which he gets all the credit for and I keep my mouth shut). Once I knew he had it, I started to throw out ideas. He said he didn't want to do it for my b-day or Xmas. So I threw out putting it on the tree on the day we got our tree.  He got upset and said he thought of that and wouldn't do it now because it wouldn't be "his" idea.
    TO my surprise the next day it was on the tree!

I found a big face ring ornament on ebay, so it was the topper to our tree this year.
  • I sort of foiled FI's plans.  We'd been together forever and our insurance was screwing us over because we're not married but we own our home, have join accounts, etc.  We'd decided to just go to the courthouse and make it official, so we'd gone to pick out our rings right before heading on our roadtrip to a friend's wedding two states away. 
    I manage our finances, and all our bills were due while we were going to be away.  We were watching TV and I mentioned that I would pay bills after this episode, and he suddenly jumpped up to "go get the mail."  Five seconds later he calls me out to see the sunset... and is on his knee with the ring!  He was going to propose at the zoo we were planning to go to on our way home from the wedding, as our first date was at the zoo and we've made it a tradition to see animals on every trip.
    I was totally surprised, I had no idea he wanted a real wedding and we hadn't even been planning on making our parents come all the way up for a courthouse ceremony... But now here we are, planning away!!
    imageimageAnniversary
  • I didnt foil my proposal, construction did. My FI had planned on proposing to me at the church at Greenfield Villege. I guess Henery Ford had it made for his wife or something. Well he didnt check online to make sure it was open. When we got there there was a sine up say it was closed due to needed work. So instead we went to the flower garden in front of the church, and sitting next to me he just gave  me the ring and said "so you want to get married". It was kinda funny, and I was in no way expecting it.
    image165 Invited
    image9 are ready to party
    image0 Aren't coming
    image156 Can't find their mail box
    RSVP Deadline: September 19th

I will make mistakes
    I will face heartache
    On Christ the Solid Rock I stand All other ground is sinking sand I will not be moved Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio/ Blog
  • I ruined it for my poor FI. We were lying in bed together on Valentine's day at night, and he kept mumbling something about wanting to be "more than just my boyfriend," because it "didn't sound adequate." So probably to his surprise, I immediately agreed with him and said "Let's get engaged!" I was so eager and in the moment that it didn't even cross my mind that I was taking away his opportunity to propose properly, not to mention taking that away from myself. A few weeks later we picked out my ring, and paid towards it for half a year (meager incomes.) I finally told my family when the ring was on my finger =D We were never the conventional types, but I do feel bad that it made him look un-romantic to my family when he is truly the opposite.
    We're just two lost souls swimmin' in a fish bowl, year after year
  • yep i foiled it completely, because i proposed first, with a taco bell hot sauce package no less!
  • First of all: congratulations!!

I don't feel bad for foiling my proposal now! I found the papers for the insurance for the ring while cleaning a couple of days before Christmas. When I opened my "present" it was a Coach purse....but the ring was in one of the pockets...I didn't foil it completely, but I knew it was coming....
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_foiled-proposal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:9a0f5781-27ae-458e-84fa-369a0cc1be5dPost:ccd0f42d-4455-41fb-bb5f-e5ffb5990f33">Re: Foiled Proposal</a>:
    [QUOTE]yep i foiled it completely, because i proposed first, with a taco bell hot sauce package no less!
    Posted by kellirus@aol.com[/QUOTE]

Best. Proposal. Ever. :)
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss Visit The Nest!
  • I kinda messed up my FI's proposal. I was supposed to get home from work at 6 but I ended up having to stay late for inventory. He had called me and asked what I wanted to do for dinner. He wanted to go out as a late birthday dinner for me since we never got to on my birthday. I didn't end up getting home until 9pm and it was too late to go anywhere nice. We just made something at home and we're going to eat outside cause we live in the country and the sky is really beautiful at night. We went outside on the porch and were looking at the stars and he kneels down and proposes right there. He wanted to do it at dinner at a nice place in public, but it was perfect the way it was. I was completely suprised and he had even asked my parents and best friend permission and how to do it first :)
  • i had originally thought he was going to propose on valentines day.... he planned a beautiful evening out, kept it secret, and invited my parents along... perfect set up for a romantic proposal... I was so upset when the night ended without a proposal (I was positive it was going to come that night).... turns out he already had had the right but waited until my birthday to propose, which I had no clue was coming. He foiled his own proposal by screwing it up, in the movie norbit he gives her a ring pop and he was going to do that, but he was so excited he ended up going straight for the diamond.
    but.... it sounds like your proposal turned out nicely! congrats!
  • I always wonder if someone uses that for one! That's completely awesome!
  • That's a cute story. I'm glad you ended up enjoying it even with all the "mishaps."
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards