Georgia-Atlanta

This is why I love my sister. (kind of long)

Ok, a bit of back story here:
I work for my dad who runs a photography business. We take antique photos and provide wardrobe for our customers. Any time I go to Goodwill I go take a look at the dresses to see if they have any that would be good to add to our wardrobe.

SO, I was at Goodwill with my sister (she's 15) looking at the dresses and she comes across a blue bridesmaid dress. She pulls it out and shows it to me, asking if it was the kind of dress that I would want her to wear for my weddding. I said yes, it was very pretty and matched my criteria (blue, formalish, not strapless). So she goes to try it on, and I go with her figuring that it won't fit etc etc.

She gets it on and it fits PERFECTLY. It's loose enough that if she gains a few pounds before the wedding it will still fit, but so so loose that it can't be taken in if she looses weight or stays the same weight. It's also a little too long for her which means she can wear whatever heels she wants.

The only problem (and quite a big problem in my mind) is that there is a small stain on the waist of the dress, right in the front. My sister pointed out that it won't cost too much to try to dry clean it because I also work at a dry cleaner part time. I point out to her that it might not come out depending on how long it's been there, what it is, etc and she says we could just get something decorative to cover it up. And I finally say, quite seriously "You know, just because I'm on a budget doesn't mean we have to get you a second hand dress. I don't have a problem pitching in with mom and dad to get you a brand new dress." she just looks at me and says
"This has probably only been worn once ever, I really like it, and it's only $12. No one will know the difference!"

With that I take it up to the check out, and it the brighter light by the windows I notice a few more stains, and at the bottom of the dress I see very huge long stains near the bottom. I start thinking that this stained dress could cost up to $30 buying it and trying to clean it, and I don't want to pay that for something that just might not come out. So I bring up the stains to the cashier, who tells me they don't usually put out dreses in such bad shape and they must not have noticed. She calls the manager over and he says to give it to me for $6!

So I take it to my boss who says it should be a breeze to clean. I come back to pick it up the next day and he shows it to me - no stains and looking brand new. I ask him what I owe him and (having heard the story) he says "How much did you pay for this dress?" I say $6 and he replies "Well, just give me $6"

So, including the dry cleaning this beautiful Alfred Angelo dress only cost me $12!!!

Isn't she pretty : )
This was just her trying on the dress for my mom, she isn't wearing proper undergarments for this type of dress which is why you can see her belly button.

Re: This is why I love my sister. (kind of long)

• edited December 2011
    That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And an Alfred Angelo for $6 Doesn't get better than that! It's very pretty!
  • chrissyinatlchrissyinatl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ahhh, that is a GREAT story!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My_MattMy_Matt member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WOW! $6 !? Lucky, lucky lady. And what a super find.
    I wonder if Prince William and Kate are registered at Target?
  • dombygatenbydombygatenby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's awesome!
  • pokepoke27pokepoke27 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's not the only thing I've found at Goodwill either. I found a brand new with tags David's Bridal slip - the exact one I need for my dress in my size - for $20 ($5 - $60 at DB), and a brand new with tags dress for my mom to wear for $15 (not necessarily for my wedding though).
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_this-love-sister-kind-of-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:70c161c8-9dc7-4e5e-b94c-69fcc5c32e35Post:e2285429-1d46-49b2-bc26-bf44f60633e6">Re: This is why I love my sister. (kind of long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's not the only thing I've found at Goodwill either. I found a brand new with tags David's Bridal slip - the exact one I need for my dress in my size - for $20 ($5 - $60 at DB), and a brand new with tags dress for my mom to wear for $15 (not necessarily for my wedding though).
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]

I love Goodwill! You can always find good stuff!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards