Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Sad/depressed

My wedding is in October and unfortunatley I just lost my job 2 weeks a go. I have a bachelor's degree in biology/chemisty and am starting to apply at several places. I feel like there is no hope :-( . I don't want my fiance to see that I'm worried but he is working so hard and I have this fear that I will never find a job the rest of my life.
It's eating at me so bad, and everyone asks if I'm excited for the wedding and deep down I'm worried about finances after the wedding.
Has anyone gone through something like this ?

Thank you so much in advance.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Sad/depressed

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_saddepressed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:7b32a803-be3c-4312-b878-cdcb8a917405Post:14d79426-5651-49dd-bfc2-02ce6e3a687f">Sad/depressed</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is in October and unfortunatley I just lost my job 2 weeks a go. I have a bachelor's degree in biology/chemisty and am starting to apply at several places. I feel like there is no hope :-( . I don't want my fiance to see that I'm worried but he is working so hard and I have this<strong> fear that I will never find a job the rest of my life</strong>. It's eating at me so bad, and everyone asks if I'm excited for the wedding and deep down I'm worried about finances after the wedding. Has anyone gone through something like this ? Thank you so much in advance.
    Posted by MrsC102211[/QUOTE]

For the rest of your life? That's really irrational, you have to admit. Clearly you are panicking but you have only been out of a job two weeks, which is hardly any time at all.  Keep applying and take a deep breath.  You will find a job soon, just give yourself an actual opportunity to actually be successful.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    After I graduated & passed the bar it took me 5 months to find a full time job (I was just working part-time until I found full-time). It sunk, but we got through it. The economy is a little better now so I'm sure you will find something soon. Breathe, apply everywhere, and things will work out.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    wedding is in october also, but i'm graduating in May with a BS in biology. Still living at home, and my dad lost his job last week. Things will get better for you, theirs alot of bio-chem jobs out there. You should look at the pharm companies around you, their always hiring.

I'm pretty stressed out right now, and what I do to relax my mind is exercise (lost 10 lbs, 25 more to go!), meditate or listen to music.
    In the confusion we stay with each other, happy to be together, speaking without uttering a single word -Walt Whitman

Rachel & Jared est. November 11, 2006

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker My Weight Ticker
  • Options
    As PPs said, two weeks isn't too long to be out of a job. At least around here, the economy totally sucks so it's not unheard of. Just relax, you'll get a job. Just stay on top of things and apply to places every day. You have to really be aggressive about it. I know from experience that depression can make you lose hope and eventually not want to even try because you think you won't succeed. That's what it sounds like for you. Don't let your depression get the best of you. Apply every day and be really proactive in your job search.

Just keep at it. You can do it! And talk to your FI about your worries - that's what he's there for. Good luck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • Options
    Take a deep breath. Continue looking for a job, and be frugal with your money for now. You will eventually find a job. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    So sad to hear that you lost your job, I am going to be graduating soon with a meteorology degree and its SCARY not knowing what to do with your life. I use this webiste "simplyhired.com" to send me daily emails about meteorology jobs. Perhaps this will help you if you have daily emails sent to you about BioChem. You will find something, dont worry. Lean on your future husband to help you and you will be able to make it through this hard time together. Best of luck out there :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Okay...don't panic...you have a Bio/Chem degree and you only lost your job 2 weeks ago?  Girl please...put your resume on Careerbuilder and Monster...plus you gotta know people--its who you know!!!  Contact a headhunter.  Just take the time to do the running around for the wedding that you won't be able to do when you start your NEW JOB!!!  Just stop panicking!!!

This is another life test...what will you do when you lose your job, kid is sick and house in foreclosure and husband is acting up? (just for instance)  Stuff happens babe...pull yourself together...I could tell you a story...

I know this is big to you and I am not trying to minimize it, but honey if this is your only problem...keep living...

S and CJ
    S and CJ image imageWhen is my wedding
    Visit Purple.weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cream to my Coffee
  • Options

I would recommend reading some frugal living blogs, you'll see you can cut costs a lot of places and that might help you feel better.

You WILL find a job, don't worry!!!!

• Options
    you guys are great seriously. Thanks for all your kind words and support.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_saddepressed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:7b32a803-be3c-4312-b878-cdcb8a917405Post:14d79426-5651-49dd-bfc2-02ce6e3a687f">Sad/depressed</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is in October and unfortunatley I just lost my job 2 weeks a go. I have a bachelor's degree in biology/chemisty and am starting to apply at several places. I feel like there is no hope :-( . <strong>I don't want my fiance to see that I'm worried</strong> but he is working so hard and I have this fear that I will never find a job the rest of my life. It's eating at me so bad, and everyone asks if I'm excited for the wedding and deep down I'm worried about finances after the wedding. Has anyone gone through something like this ? Thank you so much in advance.
    Posted by MrsC102211[/QUOTE]

PPs have given some sound advice, but also - talk to you FI!!!  he's your partner, your go-to guy, he'll want to try and comfort you and talk through this with you!  don't cut him out....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_saddepressed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:7b32a803-be3c-4312-b878-cdcb8a917405Post:1332291a-3355-4677-8f38-18727fa3fdfb">Re: Sad/depressed</a>:
    [QUOTE]After I graduated & passed the bar it took me 5 months to find a full time job (I was just working part-time until I found full-time). It sunk, but we got through it. The economy is a little better now so I'm sure you will find something soon. Breathe, apply everywhere, and things will work out.
    Posted by redheadfsu[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Readhead: ahhhh I am in Bar purgatory as we speak!!! Waiting for my results AND job searching.  Congrats on passing the bar!! Hope you're enjoying life as an attorney :) </div><div>
    </div><div>Hang in there, be aggressive and explore your options!  Things really are picking up, trust me!  I know it's easy to get depressed, I get depressed too because all I want to do is go out there and work work work.  As a side note, as you look for a job why don't you try to volunteer a little bit.  Even if it's just an hour a week at a soup kitchen. It will keep your mind off of things AND it will make you feel really good!  I'm currently looking to volunteer at the local bar association and although it's not paid, I'm excited to get out of the apartment and help people WHILE I job search.  Besides, you never know what connections you will make :) 

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have a Bio degree, too, and I just went through a several-month stint of unemployment.  It sucked, but it ended, finally, and it will for you as well.

My main suggestion is to network like crazy.  I finally got a job through a contact I made about a year ago.  I spent weeks sending out resumes like crazy and applying to everything I could find, and it was the most frustrating endeavor ever.

Contact people from your previous job, your friends, friends of your friends, everyone, and let them know that you are on the hunt for a job.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Dude, your a smart cookie: you will be just fine! Its only been a few weeks and you are in a large job market. You will find a job that fits you and that you love. Take a few days for you and then start looking! 
    I lost my job after Christmas- and I live in a village of 1,000 people where there is little opportunity! In Chicago you will find a great job. Keep your chin up! 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat - I lost my job this week and I was in the mortgage industry!   Our wedding isn't until next year - so I'm not panicking yet, but I am feeling rather down.   It hurts - it's a blow to the ego, if nothing else.  I'm just thankful to have a loving fiance standing beside me.   At least I'm not having to face it alone. 

I'm an Underwriter and I don't see where the opportunities are at this stage of the game - and it might be wise to look at other options.  Luckily, though - I have past experience as a legal secretary and a corporate paralegal certificate.  What I really want to do now is go back into the legal field in real estate law - there are a lot of law firms dealing with foreclosure, etc.  Who knows those mortgage documents better than an Underwriter!  Wink  Hopefully, someone will see the value of putting experience and skill together.  All I can do is keep applying and crossing my fingers. 

I'll keep you in my prayers!  Best of luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards