California-Bay Area
Options

First dance lessons – prefer close to south bay

I have searched the posts and cannot really find anything for dance lessons. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a dance teacher in the south bay?  Seems like there is a ton up in the city, but I don’t really want to do that long drive 5 times for an hour lesson!   Looking for someone that is fun and energetic, and will teach us a cool dance!

We have tried one of the big dance studios in the south bay a while ago just for fun, and it was horrible.  Total singles scene, then when we did private lessons, it was just a big sales push to get us to buy more lessons....

Any recommendations would be helpful. 
Thanks!

Re: First dance lessons – prefer close to south bay

• Options
    KeelsmarksKeelsmarks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're taking lessons at Crystal Ballroom and really like them. 

They're giving us a few great steps, a start and an end and weren't stupid expensive. They're on Stevens Creek and will do a comp first trial private lesson.  

Good luck!
  • Options
    JW28JW28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What kind of dance are you looking to do? If you're on a budget, I might suggest going to some social ballroom or swing dancing (depending on your style). For instance, http://www.fridaynightwaltz.com/ in Palo Alto offers an introductory waltz class for two hours, then open social dancing for the rest of the evening. Once you get the hang of the basics, if you want a fancy first dance you can find a private instructor to help you choreograph. Anyway, that's just my two cents as a former ballroom dancer. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with any particular schools/studios in the area.
  • Options
    Bonzo2011Bonzo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ^Love Friday Night Waltz, that's a good suggestion.

I'd also recommend looking at what your local community center offers in terms of dance classes. FI and I have been taking a cycle of ballroom classes at the Foster City Community Center for about a year now, and it's given us a lot of basics for a variety of dances. It's also very reasonably priced.

If you're looking for someone to choreograph a first dance for you though, I don't have any recommendations.
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Starlite Ballroom/Cheryl Burke Dance in Mountain View. We used to go to their Friday night beginner's party.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards