Hawaii

Types of Leis for the Lei Exchange

So I've been researching on the internet to find the different types of leis that you traditionally use for the lei exchanges between bride & groom, between bride & parents, and groom and parents, and can't seem to come up with any results that are informative.  Anyone have a good link on this information or can help me out with this. 

I need leis for what I mentioned above and then were going to get leis for our immediate family and a few people that are helping out with the wedding.  Thanks!

Re: Types of Leis for the Lei Exchange

• edited December 2011
    I got a pikake lei for myself and a maile w/ pikake strand for my husband.  Not sure if there is a particular type of lei that is traditional...I'd just go with something you like.  Certain flowers smell more than others, so keep that in mind too.

For presenting the lei to parents during the ceremony, we just used orchid leis.  Our parents and immediate family had "special" leis as well.  For those helping with the wedding, we got orchid leis.
  • edited December 2011
    I did a crown flower lei for myself (pikake were out of season), a ti leaf for Phil and different orchid leis for Mums, tuberose for my BMs, kukui nut for the groomsmen and Dads and single orchids for the guests.
  • edited December 2011
    I did a 3-strand crown flower lei for myself, a ti leaf lei for my husband, orchids for the guests and plumeria for my MIL and a ti leaf/plumeria for my FIL. 
  • mahea75mahea75 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

It really is personal choice.  My aunt that did my flowers actually helped me pick out mine.  I had a pikake choker, and for my husband he had a maile w/Bozo (purple flowers).  Groomsmen Kukui Nut w/Ti Leaf, MOH didn't have a lei since she carried a bouquet.  I can't remember parents leis, since they were a little different then your standard leis.  Special guests and family helps received orchid leis.  Hope this helps, just pick out what you like.

• mocha beansmocha beans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a ti leaf lei for the GMs, a bigger green leaf lei for DH (not sure what it was), I had a pink/yellow plumeria for me and yellow plumeria for the BMs.  We didn't do any other leis.
  • JburggrafJburggraf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone.  Very helpful! :)
  • embracejoyembracejoy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will have a tuberose lei, FH is having a maile leaf lei (not sure if there will be flowers in there too, guess we'll find out in exactly THREE WEEKS! YAY!), and our parents will be wearing purple/white orchid leis.
    we got it right the second time around! ten.twenty.twenty-ten. Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards