Ohio-Columbus
Options

Pinnacle vs Athenaeum

I don't know which one to chose! They're both relatively the same price but I get more with Athenaeum.  Pinnacle is about 10 minutes from my house.  I'm having an evening party so I'm not sure how guests will feel being downtown at 10 o'clock at night...

Anybody been to either?  Opinions on either place would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Pinnacle vs Athenaeum

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having mine at Pinnacle, and I've been to Athenaeum for a few weddings.  Obviously I'm a little partial, but I love Pinnacle.  At Pinnacle you seem to get much more personalized attention.  While we were at the Athenaeum, there were SO many weddings going on at the same time it was a little crazy and confusing.  Both places are really nice though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 323 Made the List!
    image 114 Are ready to Dance!
    image 12 Can't make it!
    image 197 Forgot how to use Snail Mail!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked at having our reception at the Athenaeum, but we opted against it.  I didn't look at Pinnacle, though, so I can't totally compare the two.

Athenaeum pros:
    - Loved the character of each room
    - Bring in your own booze

Athenaeum cons:
    - No super-close parking (w/ a lot of OOT guests, this was a concern)
    - Other weddings going on at the same time throughout the building
    - I think they are on the 11-4 or 6-11 schedule options, but don't quote me on that (it's been a while since we visited there)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    sep72fendrsep72fendr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I researched both places and I ended up choosing Pinnacle to be my wedding location.

Both:
    - Great Architectural Detail
    - Spacious rooms that can be fitted to many size numbers of guests

Pinnacle:
    Pros
    - Gorgeous Ball Room
    - Marble Dance Floor
    - Ceremony Space
    - Rehearsal Dinner Space
    - Lisa Bapst (the wedding coordinator) is awesome. So is Stepfanie (her co-coordinator)
    - Lots of dinner options (plated or buffet)
    - Free Linens (table clothes and napkins with a wide variety of colors to choose)
    - Lots of Parking
    -Lots of Nearby hotels
    - Onlyyour event going on at that time (if you book the ballroom)
     Cons
    - A bit pricey
    - Out in the middle of nowhere

Athenaeum
    Pros
    - Tons of space
    - Can bring in own Alcohol
    - Various room sizes that can be used for both ceremony and reception
    - Flexible packages that are fairly in mid budget
    - Hotels near by
    - Downtown life for a great after party
    Cons
    - Almost no parking
    - Downtown (lots of busyness)
    - Hotels are pricier downtown
    - Many events going on at one time (you are not the only wedding happening!)

For me, the pros outweighed the cons for Pinnacle. Plus Fi loved the architecture of the ballroom so we kind of booked it on the spot because it also had a beautiful ceremony space (we don't have a church home).

I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm . . . I've been a guest at both, but didn't look at either for my own wedding. I would prob. pick Pinnacle based on the fact that you are the only event going on that night. Besides it's location, it was probably the better option. Although the food I had was TERRIBLE!  Hopefully for you it was just a bad night. Also, the staff kept yelling at us for different reasons. We weren't allowed to have their glassware on the dance floor, which seemed like a weird rule to me. Then as the night progressed and many ladies had taken off their shoes, they kept yelling at us to put them back on!  Um, hello, I'm a grown woman, I know the risks and can make my own decisions!  So I don't know, a couple of really annoying things to me as a guest that you might want to inquire about.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks RNM I will ask about that! Lots of people bring their drinks to the dance floor and take off their shoes! That's a silly rule.

I love the looks of Athenaeum, but I HATE that it's downtown and people we'll have to park far away.  Plus we're doing this at the end of February so there's the chance of snow and very cold.

I hate making tough decisions!
  • Options
    sep72fendrsep72fendr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think Pinnacle would be very beautiful if you did a winter themed wedding (you will have TONS of huge windows to let in the light and you could see the beautiful snow!)

Also, you could stick with a silver, white, and light blue theme and it would go lovely with the decor in there. I think it's a very elegant space. I might be partial because I am having my wedding there, but I can see a beautiful winter wedding there.

Have you checked out the spaces? Go visit them during these cold winter months and see what they are like. Look at the feeling of the space, feel the ambiance of the place, use all senses, not just your eyes. Close your eyes in each of the spaces and try to envision the possibilities in both spaces. I think that is the best way to do a comparison, by seeing your vision of your wedding and which one makes you have a more positive emotional reaction.

Good Luck for when you finally nail down your venue! That's always the toughest part I think.
    I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing black/silver with pops of red.  I really really REALLY love Athenaeum, but I don't see it really working out.  I have handicapped family (wheelchairs) and my grandma can barely climb stairs let alone walk around downtown at night in the winter.

So I think I'm going to go with Pinnacle, not to mention its 10 minutes from my house and offers valet. Plus I won't have all the rules of "preferred vendors."  I like that we'll be the only ones there as well, so I'll get full attention.
  • Options
    molly12oumolly12ou member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dont let the preferred vendors list bother you. I was married at the Athenaeum in April and only used one of their preferred vendors.  All our vendors had no problems working with the coordinator either.   I know they just started using a parking garage closer to the building too in case you didnt check that out.  HTH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards