Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Southern Veg Menu

Ladies!

I've started thinking about the menu I would like to have at my reception. We're doing a buffet, and the food is mostly Southern. We have an option of two entrees. There are obviously plenty of meat options for a meat entree, but I also want to have a vegetarian entree for myself and the other vegetarians on the guest list. I'm having trouble, however, coming up with good ideas that are still Southern cuisine. Most of the ideas I've seen posted are Italian, Mediterranean, etc. Any ideas?? :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Southern Veg Menu

• edited December 2011
    Cheese grits topped with vegetarian grillades. Omit the beef/veal and use portabella mushrooms instead? Very southern and I think it would be a hit.
  • leahkateleahkate member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Try this website: http://kathyg.com/menusuggestions.htm

This is a caterer in Birmingham who is really good and creative, and quintessentially Southern. She puts a twist on traditional foods too. She has a lot of delicious veggie dishes that might give you inspiration.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the recommendations, ladies!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dressed up mac and cheese? 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • AmandaBug12AmandaBug12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm Vegetarian too, and we're having an all-Vegetarian menu. I love Southern food, even though it's hard to find veggie entrees with protein. I've seen really cute, fun and delicious mashed potato bars served in martini glasses (you could even have them make a mushroom gravy). Oh, and I think that NOLAbride's idea of grits and grilled veggies sounds great. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Mmm southern food - makes me think of my grandmas cooking - I'm also vegetarian and usually when we have a big family meal I'll just do a big plate of sides which is super yummy. Mashed potatoes are great and I've seen the martini bar and it's really fun. Also different greens are great - collards, okra. I've had okra as a meal over rice. What about some baked beans? Also, I've made veggie pot pie for dinner for my fiancé and I with no chicken and it's still great and fills me up. I also did a "chicken" and dumplings with seitan instead of meat - that may be too out there for your meat eating guests though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Quiggels - I thought about doing a tofu meat replacement, but I wasn't sure how it would turn out on a buffet and with a caterer who may not be used to cooking with tofu, you know? :-/  I do need to just talk with my caterer with what they are willing to make, but I want to go in with some ideas of my own. You ladies are so helpful! I know it's not an easy food area in which to go veg!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards