New York
Options

What are you doing for ceremony music?

Our ceremony is outside at the same venue as our reception, but not close enough to use the same sound system. I've been looking at different options from an ipod to a solo guitarist or a strinq quartet, but I don't really know what will work best. What did you use? Were/are your ceremony songs traditional or contemporary?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What are you doing for ceremony music?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went with Clinton Street Quartet. We are using Cannon in D, Trumpet Voluntary, Jesu Man's Desiring, and Water Works (Cant remember if that last one is correct!)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I do love Pachelbel's Canon, it just sounds like a wedding, which is why I was thinking more traditional music. But the other day I heard a solo violinist playing Bittersweet Symphony and LOVED it. Now I'm thinking more modern music for the ceremony.
    Here's the YouTube of that song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBEg8izzjFk
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having a string duo (violin & cello) for the ceremony.  We are playing only classical songs during the wedding; haven't quite figured out which ones yet.  I think it'll be Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (solo by my aunt); Mendelssohn's Wedding March; probably some Handel & Bach, etc.

Our ceremony is inside a small chapel; a duo might not be strong enough for outdoors.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    sbolger17sbolger17 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_doing-ceremony-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:531f75cd-fa4a-4626-a742-444f17146fb5Post:9ce50416-87fa-49aa-9485-c04cb6010003">Re: What are you doing for ceremony music?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do love Pachelbel's Canon, it just sounds like a wedding, which is why I was thinking more traditional music. But the other day I heard a solo violinist playing Bittersweet Symphony and LOVED it. Now I'm thinking more modern music for the ceremony. Here's the YouTube of that song: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBEg8izzjFk" rel='nofollow'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBEg8izzjFk</a>
    Posted by whereismymind32[/QUOTE]

That's awesome!  It sounds like there's a background beat in addition to the violin though.  I think you could definitely have this and also traditional music if you want.  Whenever anything is played on strings, it always sounds classy!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    raes19raes19 member
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE Bittersweet Symphony. We are probably going to stick with traditional music, just for the fact that we are having a very traditional ceremony. I'm also a huge fan of classical music, so I don't mind  going through the songs to find one to use.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married outside and I had my bffs H play guitar and his sister sang. My grandfather just so happened to have a speaker and mic for them and the pastor. Bffs H just softly jammed out while guests came in and then played "Flying Without Wings" by Westlife while his sister sang, while the BP and myself walked in. It was really nice.

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wanted soooo bad ot play Train's "Marry Me" for the bride's procession, but our church would not allow it.  Boo. 
    I ended up using Canon in D.  Very traditional and perfect for weddings... I was still bummed though.
    We used the church musician and he did a beautiful job... mostly acoustic guitar... soft and simple.

I have heard of brides using local college musicians to save a few $$... don't have any good recommendations though since we went through our church.  sorry!
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were thinking of looking at Eastman School of Music since the students there are really good. We may have to just rent a speaker or something since how else are they going to hear the vows?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

If you are going to use an extra speaker or sound system for your ceremony, check with your DJ.  I know our DJ offered packages that included setup at 2 different locations (ceremony and reception)... this may be a good option for you

Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our ceremony was outside at the same venue as our reception.  Our DJ supplied a microphone for the pastor/us and a second sound system for the ceremony music (included in the package price--Black Tie Entertainment out of Syracuse).  It worked out perfectly. 
    All of our ceremony music was Vitamin String Quartet....love them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just spent forever listening to all the vitamin string quartet covers! I'm sold.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards