Military Brides
Options

I'm a wreck and need some help!

So my fiance and I are both active duty military and stationed in Washington state. He is currently deployed and we were planning to have a wedding in my home town in Iowa. We knew Iowa would be affordable and I would have lots of help from friends and family, plus his hometown is only 8 hours away, as opposed to if we had it in Washington both our familiies would have to fly.

Well recently we realized that when he returned from deployment he would be PCSing to Japan within a couple months! I will still be here until further notice... so we thought "Hey, lets get married in Washington because it's easier for us to plan and be able to get leave and so on, plus most of our friends are here." So we just started looking at wedding venues for an early October wedding in WA (I know we are in a time crunch here, believe me) so after looking at a few venues (both of us in our different locations) I had commented on how expensive it was here in Washington and I don't know how we can afford it. Well this opened up a lot of issues because he was under the impression that my parents were going to be helping out a lot (financially) and I had always assumed we were paying our own way.

My mother is terminally ill with cancer and liver failure but cannot get approved for SS/Disability. I don't feel right even considering talking to my mom and step dad for money and my dad has never had his stuff together so I know that's not happening. He plans on asking his parents but his dad is broke and his mom may be able to give a couple hundred but that's all I think.

Now we are trying to plan a wedding that is 2.5 months away and we have nothing set, not even a date or a venue, or a wedding dress! I would love to get married in a barn/farm and have it very vintage and rustic... but idk if I can find a venue under 3 grand, let alone under a grand, and many places here only allow their catering which is also astranomical. At this point I'm thinking we are going to have to just get legally married and plan a wedding in the future or have a small little wedding.

I know I sound like a brat but we really wanted to make this happen and we don't want to have a wedding later because my mother may not be alive for it, and I am having a lot of issues with my reproductive system and may need a hysterectomy... I'm 26 and he's 29. We are being told if we want children we should start trying asap or I may not be able to ever concieve. We don't want to wait, we want to do things right and make it a day everyone can enjoy, especially my mom. I'll take any advice at this point!!
Thank you!!

I can't plan an Iowa wedding because we won't both be allowed leave in the small amount of time we have to request it, not to mention book anything ahead of time. I have access to a barn and stuff at home and I don't want a Vera Wang dress. Iowa would be VERY affordable, but we can't make it to Iowa, we need something in Washington state and where we live the cost of living is very high and it's a tourist area...

Re: I'm a wreck and need some help!

• Options
    You shouldn't ask anyone for money for your wedding, it's rude.  You plan the wedding that you guys can afford on your own, and if anyone wants to contribute they will offer.  

You don't need a fancy or special venue, or even a big poofy dress to make a wedding.  It's about the marriage of two people.  If you want your mom to be there and want something under your budget then I would plan it in Iowa.  Does anyone have a big barn you could rent or free or really cheap that you could decorate?  Or just do a JOP ceremony now and do a vow renewal party in a few years when you aren't rushed.

Just remember that your wedding day is about marrying the love of your life.  The rest is fluff.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You can totally still plan an Iowa wedding.  No one says you have to have a big, poofy Vera Wang to wear down the aisle.  Get online or get down to your local department store and see what kind of dresses they have on clearance.  Mine was $80.  See if your family knows anyone who has a barn or land you can use for your venue.  Plan a BBQ.  It can be casual.  It doesn't have to be fancy.  
    I friend of mine did something very similar.  Her decorations were pumpkins and wild flowers.  She hung ribbons from the branches of an old oak tree that doubled as their altar.  Every one sat on hay bales covered by table runners she bought at the dollar store.  It was simple, inexpensive and absolutely beautiful.  They invited all their friends and family who played instruments to bring them along.  The entertainment was a jam session with all of those people.  It was one of the most memorable weddings I've ever seen.  You could do something very similar.  Plan it for a long weekend y'all can get a pass for.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Are you north or south of Seattle? I can offer some venue and vendor advice for thrifty places based on that. We are stationed in Washington state and were married here last year. 
  • Options
    I completely agree with Beachy. You need to plan the wedding you and your FI can afford. If a wedding in Iowa is really not doable, I suggest planning a small intimate wedding in WA with your loved ones, especially your mom. 
  • Options

Whidbey Island is a large island just off the NW coast.

• Options
    How did this open issues with your fiance? Doesn't he understand that your parents are not in a position to pay for the wedding?
  • Options
    Have you thought about doing a wedding during the week? I know that may not be the most convenient thing for you or maybe some of the guests, but it may just help you find a venue quicker.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_im-a-wreck-and-need-some-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:f85fe106-194f-4f9b-9747-bc4330d23f4fPost:95023f4b-329c-4f33-9761-6c4549d1612d">Re: I'm a wreck and need some help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]How did this open issues with your fiance? Doesn't he understand that your parents are not in a position to pay for the wedding?
    Posted by ReeseCup21[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, I have to question this. Did you guys discuss budget before hand? I know with H and I we knew who was going to help us out (my parents) and with how much. There were no surprises about this.<div>
    </div><div>Also a week day wedding is a good idea, or maybe a brunch or lunch instead of dinner. </div>
  • Options

I think the best thing you can do is take a deep breath, write down what's most important to you in terms of a 'wedding' - who are the people you really want to be there?  Which items are kind of non-negotiable for you - big white dress? Barn? 

Unfortunately life doesn't always allow us to do things exactly as we'd wish.  In this case, it seems like you have some really tough decisions to make. 

Is your Mom able to travel to Washington?  If so, you could consider having a wedding with immediate family only - you can always throw a big party later if you wish.  I know our JOP offers ceremonies in her beautiful garden for $300 - there's got to be similar JOPs in Washington, and also you can consider any JOP ceremony, or even a minister if that's imporant to you, officiating a ceremony in a public park or beach.  Those types of places would make gorgeous, cheap (sometimes free) sites for a ceremony.

You can then have a backyard barbecue with hung twinkle lights and burlap runners and flowers in mason jars - it's not in a barn, but will have that rustic appeal, and at a very budget-friendly price.  Pre-make food that can be easily heated up - pulled pork, brisket, corn-on-the-cob, cornbread, coleslaw make for a fun delicious country themed dinner.  Hire a culinary student to heat it up and serve it.

Our friends had a small ceremony for immediate family out in San Diego on a beach - they didn't rent it, just showed up, plopped down chairs, held the ceremony, and left all in about 20 minutes.  They then went out to dinner with family, and hosted a big barbecue a few months later back home.  It worked out wonderfully!  They spent under $2000 on the wedding (dinner at a restaurant is pricier than barbecue at home) and another $600 on the at-home barbecue party.

Anniversary

• Options

I concur with what Calindi wrote.

Since you and your husband to be are both active duty, it sounds like you are the most financially sound out of the members of your family.  I recommend you two attend premarital counseling, since he made an assumption regarding money (which any of us reading this post cannot figure out why he would assume your family would pay given their circumstances).  It sounds like you two need to work on communication and expectations, WELL before planning for a baby!  You're putting the cart before the horse.

Establish the highest amount of money you can reasonably afford and work backwards from there based on level of importance.

Whatever you figure out for your wedding, no matter how small your budget may be, enjoy planning it.  This celebration of your love is once in a lifetime!  Make every detail as personalized to you and your groom as possible.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards