Ohio-Northeast
Options

Fake Cake

Hi Ladies! I'm wondering if anyone could help me. My fiance and I really really really really want a Strawberry Cassatta cake from our local bakery (Baraona's, in Maple Hts.). But, they only do sheet cake for that kind. So, my mom and I were just talking about getting one of those fake cakes and just having one piece for us to eat and cut and the rest sheet cake for everyone else. Does anyone know of any place where we could rent a fake cake?? Thanks :) 
IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary

Re: Fake Cake

• Options
    K ByteK Byte member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    If you're open to getting your cake elsewhere, FI and I just tried strawberry cassata cake at Michael Angelo's in Broadview Heights, and they make it for both wedding cakes and sheet cakes. (I thought it was really good cake btw!)
  • Options
    jaylii9jaylii9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't believe that you can rent a fake cake, but maybe I am wrong.

Our bakery told us that they will do one layer of cake and then several fake layers on top of it so that you have something to cut. They let us know that we still have to pay them to make the dummy cake because labor and decorating still goes into making a fake cake. Anyways, I would ask Baronas if they will do a fake cake for you. Or perhaps you can have a smaller cake in a different flavor and then sheet cakes of cassata.
  • Options
    JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As the pp said, a 'fake' cake is typically done by the baker you're using. Just, instead of decorating a real cake, they decorate a dummy one. It can end up costing just as much as a real cake, so if you're looking to save money, it might not help. I like the pp's idea of doing a (real) smaller cake in another flavor, then the cassatta sheet cakes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    KT82KT82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think Jacqui at CMYKAKES can make a fake cake. her website is http://cmykakes.com/home.html

• Options
    juliet1503juliet1503 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto KT.  I was gonna suggest the very same thing!  :) 
  • Options
    Chezz88Chezz88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did a fake cake  and had the top tier real for the "cutting of the cake"- it was soo much cheaper!  I went through a small bakery in Wadsworth ohio (anne's pastry).  I think Giant Eagle might do fake cakes as well.  I have pics at my blog if you'd like to see Anne's work:  www.prettymydrink.blogspot.com
  • Options
    nina107cnina107c member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing a fake cake and getting it from A Cookie and a Cupcake in Tremont. 3 tiers, bottom is real, other 2 are fake. And we're getting a sheet cake. And, they have their version of a cassata cake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards