Jewish Weddings

**ciaraman**

Hi there,

I saw your earlier post on my "gift for the rabbi" thread.

I think conversion processes can take any amount of time.  I had a friend whose conversion took only 4 months.  I've heard of them taking 2+ years.

My conversion started March of last year (right before passover), and will basically have taken 11 months.  I had study sessions with the rabbi twice a month, and once a week for the past six weeks. 

I'm not sure what type of conversion you are having though.  Mine is reform, and I think if your is conservative/orthodox, it might take longer.  Have you started "officially"?  If you have been living "Jewish-ly" for the past year, and your wedding is 18 months away, I can't see why you wouldn't be converted in time.   But I guess it is a decision up to the rabbi. 

Basically my rabbi wanted me to:
-have a grasp on Jewish holidays/festivals and life cycle events
-be aware of history of anti-semitism and effects today
-learn about history of Israel and Israeli relations today
-live a Jewish life (Shabbat, going to shul, being involved in synagogue community)

keep me posted on what your rabbi tells you...good luck!

Re: **ciaraman**

• edited December 2011
    Thanks!

My fiance spoke to the rabbi I'll hopefully be working with today (unfortunately I was at work and haven't gotten a chance to talk to him yet) and he sounded much more positive about the conversion than the rabbi my fiance grew up with who we hope will marry us.

It'll be a Conservative conversion, and the rabbi Ben spoke to today said it should take 9 months to a year, which leaves plenty of time before the wedding.  I haven't really started "officially" because I'm still in Tallahassee finishing school and will need to work with a rabbi in West Palm where I'll be moving.  Hopefully we can get things started soon though. 

I appreciate the insight and info and will keep in touch - I may be looking for more advice in the future!

Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards