Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

wedding cake

So I was at a bridal show and that woman from wedding SOS was talking about the tradition of wedding cake. And then she elaborated on all the ingredients in the wedding cake and their significance to the wedding.

I've tried googling but all I can find is the tradition/symbolism of the cake as a whole, not the ingredients.

Any help?

Re: wedding cake

• Options

Have you tried looking for the symbolism if the individual ingredients? 

• Options
    pgcppgcp member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Way back when they probably has meaning, but to follow such an antiquated recipe now would likely be unpalatable to our contemporary tastes.  Choose a cake you love and think your guests will enjoy.
  • Options
    I think perhaps for a traditional English fruitcake there may have been some original symbolism, but I'm afraid there's nothing special about flour, sugar, fondant and buttercream.
  • Options
    I think she may have been blowing smoke so you would book her. All cakes are made with the name basic ingredients.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_wedding-cake-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:42463196-3490-4ade-b0e8-9bebcc924fa9Post:2355702b-c80e-4652-82a3-9001f356e85c">Re: wedding cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think she may have been blowing smoke so you would book her. All cakes are made with the name basic ingredients.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

I agree. 
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    I was also at a bridal show where she said the same speech. I am also having a hard time finding it too. It had to do with the ingredients like sugar for the sweet times, alcohol for the fun times. Stuff like that. It's an older tradition having to do with the original wedding cake which was a furit cake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards