New York-New York City

NYC (Manhattan, Bklyn, Queens): Raw space vs. Full service Venue

I'm just starting to plan my wedding for November 2012 and was wondering which ends up being more affordable: raw space where you have to rent furniture, staff, and catering or going with a full service venue?  I'm not on a tiny budget but would like to keep it to around $40,000. 

I'm picky about food and really want to be able to choose my own caterer, and I like the look of raw spaces more than some of these banquet type venues, but I'm concerned that the cost of filling it with furniture and hiring staff will be too high. 

Does anybody know which ends up being more affordable?

Thanks

Re: NYC (Manhattan, Bklyn, Queens): Raw space vs. Full service Venue

• Cinderella30Cinderella30 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on the space (or hotel, catering hall) you choose and how much you're paying for the space.  Some spaces are simply four walls, which is great but can be expensive when decorating/lighting.  However, if you choose a location which has personality...the Foundry, Angel Orensanz Foundation, NYC Fire Museum, Central Park, the location becomes the decor.  My husband and I chose the blank space route (empty loft space) and while it was fabulous we did spend more than what we wanted.  Keep in mind that about 50-60% of your budget, in most cases, goes to ceremony/reception location, food & bar (assuming you're having open bar, sit down dinner, etc.).  If you start with a number it will be easier to figure out which option fits within your budget.
  • positivelypositively member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Studio 450, Loft 11, Tribecca Rooftop in NYC   The Foundry in Queens, also The Metropolitan Building in Queens   All great raw spaces.
  • positivelypositively member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and for catering - Yen from Real Foods - Great service and food.
  • lodieleelodielee member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Working with raw space is almost certainly going to be more expensive compared to a comparable full-service venue. You'd be basically working with a blank slate, which is exciting and important to some couples, but daunting and overwhelming to others. A full-service venue comes with all the furniture and layout chosen by someone who has done weddings and other events before, and you wouldn't be the test subject. Most couples are marrying for the first time, do not work in the industry, and (in NYC) have rarely thrown a dinner party for more than 8 guests before (going out to restaurants doesn't count!). There are many things to think about in setting up a space from scratch, a ton of decisions to be made. Having a wedding coordinator or someone to discuss the logistics with would be very important with a raw space especially.

But if you can't find a full-service venue that matches what you envision for your wedding, then having all of these options with a raw space would be a plus. While a full-service venue may be less expensive for a full-service wedding, with a raw space you can cut some costs by leaving out things that may come included with a full-service venue that you don't really care about, and then put the money to the things that you do. (gourmet food? band? Krispy Kremes?)

• lodieleelodielee member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to add that some of the "raw spaces" are not really blank slates, and do have a lot of charm and personality without decoration. And most spaces will have a contact person, who can sometimes help with making decisions about layout, timing, vendors.

BTW, my husband and I are foodies and looked into restaurants for receptions: surprisingly expensive, no matter how small or relatively inexpensive the restaurant is normally. And it's difficult for the staff if you want to do a ceremony there too, as they do not usually have to arrange furniture around like this.
  • edited December 2011

I am assuming your budget of 40,000 includes florist, other decor, music, photog, etc as well as the space and catering? The size of your event and if you need the space for your ceremony as well, will also really play a part in this discussion. I am planning a wedding for approx 150 guests on a similar though slightly lower (inclusive) budget, and found it really difficult to make a raw space/loft work within that.  However, with a smaller wedding this may work out better as per the previous poster.

• alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married at Studio 450 last year and can tell you its definitely more expensive than a full service venue.

I don't know how many people you're having, but it would be tough to stay under 40K in a totally raw space. I think 50K+ is a more reasonable estimate, but I'm including dress, photography, flowers, etc. Without that stuff, you can probably do it for 40.

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • edited December 2011
    @Mkgins, my wedding is about the same size as yours...Have you found a place yet/ have any recommendations for an inclusive venue? 

Our problem has been finding a place that can accomodate our size and budget on a Saturday night... it looks like sunday afternoons are the only options for us right now. Most of the venues we're seeing (like Bryant Park Grill, Central Park Boathouse, etc) have much higher guest minimums and much high prices for a Saturday evening event.

Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    @ hebonomo -- yes we did find a place but gave up on NYC. The closest we came was either The Metropolitan in Glen Cove, LI (not to be confused with The Metropolitan Bldg in LIC) or Dumbo Loft, but Dumbo Loft was too tricky with planning ceremony too, and The Metropolitan, though nice, just somehow left us cold. When we first started to plan my FI and I said anywhere in the NYC area including westchester and Long Island but no Staten Island and no NJ. And well, we're getting married in NJ. It's a place my sister had been to for a few events called Orange Lawn Tennis Club in South Orange. It's lovely. If you're looking at places like BPGrill and Boathouse, I think you'd like it, if you're open to NJ. Very easy to get to by NJTransit. Check it out: www.orangelawn.com
    But we are also doing Sunday afternoon and are doing a dairy/vegetarian/fish menu. But if you're interested, talk to them. I told him where our catering/venue costs needed to be and he said he could do it. The thing with places like BPG and Boathouse is that you are not only paying for food, but also the cost to shut down their business one evening. I worked at BPGrill for 5 years. It's beautiful and elegant and the food is great and they do a lovely wedding, but they do crazy big dinner business. You need to pay for what they would lose by not being available for regular restaurant business + the staff, etc. Where we are having our wedding we're not in competition with anything, and they only do one wedding a day. So it's either mine or someone else's or nothing at all, so you've got a better negotiating tool. Not sure what time of year you are planning, but that can also work in your favor. Think Dec-March. I bet if they haven't booked this April yet (or before), you might be able to get a deal for a Sat night. May thru June will be trickier. Email me privately if you have more/specific questions.
  • kumakumakumakuma member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some venues allow you to customize with the caterer of your choosing.  I was in a wedding at a place called Capsule Studio and they are very open to customizing events.  My friend was able to use the caterer she desired, but the studio took care of the bar, decorations, and staff. 
  • edited December 2011
    I decided to go with the Propsect Park Picnic House.  The space rental fee is like half of what other raw spaces cost, plus it comes with tables and chairs so it cuts out a lot of the furniture rental costs.  They require you to use one of their caterers but their list is very long, so I'm not worried about finding one that I'll like. 

I am however finding that just with catering alone it will be difficult to keep it to $40K.  I'll probably get close to that just with the catering (including the rentals for linens, tableware, etc).
  • We used the same caterer.One and only caterer I would recommend too is Creative Foods Catering I used them last year for my wedding and everything was fantastic. Their cost was fraction of any quotes I received from other caterers. The menu was filled with all upscale items such as Filet Mignon, Salmon, Crab Cakes etc.

They allowed me to provide liquor (a big money saver!!) they provided bartenders and all other staff. You even choose the staff’s uniform!! We used a raw wedding venue in Manhattan for 150 guests.Their catering packages are from $25 to $49 per person and some packages include cocktail reception as well

Their website is:

http://www.CreativeFoodsCatering.com

914-882-3986

I highly recommend!!

• <div>Would you mind sharing at which venue you had your wedding at? I am finding it really hard to find something in Manhattan for 150-175 guests... Thank you!</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_nyc-manhattan-bklyn-queens-raw-space-vs-full-service-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:d65cef80-def9-4283-98db-e6b60ebe1313Post:cd9da34d-9fe0-4fa9-b8e7-7a8ebe3cdf63">Re: NYC (Manhattan, Bklyn, Queens): Raw space vs. Full service Venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]We used the same caterer.One and only caterer I would recommend too is Creative Foods Catering I used them last year for my wedding and everything was fantastic. Their cost was fraction of any quotes I received from other caterers. The menu was filled with all upscale items such as Filet Mignon, Salmon, Crab Cakes etc. They allowed me to provide liquor (a big money saver!!) they provided bartenders and all other staff. You even choose the staff’s uniform!! We used a raw wedding venue in Manhattan for 150 guests.Their catering packages are from $25 to $49 per person and some packages include cocktail reception as well Their website is: <a href="http://www.CreativeFoodsCatering.com" rel="nofollow">http://www.CreativeFoodsCatering.com</a> 914-882-3986 I highly recommend!!
    Posted by Bella082590[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards