Texas-Houston

I need help finding a reception site! Please help

I'm trying to go for a romantically modern wedding for July 2011.  My colors are light blue, black, and white.  I'm trying to find a reception to compliment my style.  I originally started with the Cohen house on the Rice University campus.  However my parents, the ones who are paying for the wedding, said its over budget.  My mom is giving me bed and breakfasts, and places that look like they belong at Williamsburg.  Originally my fiance and I liked Ouisis but they charged way to much for a cake and I couldn't even bring in from an outside vendor.  I'm debating if I should back over there and see if they can show me some photos of there.  If anyone has had their wedding there please give me some advise? Also, I could use some better options or Ideas for receptions.  Please help me before my mom drives me insane.      

My budget is around 9000 for everything in the reception not including the cake.  We are probably going to have less than 100 people attending.
I'm just wanting a reception place.
Also do to family history, we do not want to serve alcohol.

Re: I need help finding a reception site! Please help

• edited December 2011
    There are so many options. Can you narrow down the area of town and budget? Do you need a ceremony & reception place, or just reception? Do you want to serve alcohol?

If you are trying to stick in central Houston (like Rice University), I can list a few to start with:

The Gallery
    The Patio on Mercer
    Villa Rinata
    The Parador
    Courtyard on St James
    Bell Tower on 34th
    numerous hotels downtown (alden, icon, etc)
    Magnolia Ballroom
    The Majestic
    Hess Club

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    PP has listed some amazing venues that would fit the romantic modern you are going for. Please also let us know how many guests you are planning to have.
  • edited December 2011
    If you want contemporary I LOVE Hotel Alden great people and great lobby, the only reason i did not book them was the limit was 170 for seated dinner.
  • edited December 2011
    If the Cohen house is out of your budget, I would probably guess that the venues listed in the post above are also out of your budget. Great sites but a little on the higher side.

Have you tried these:

Milford House (Italian Cultural Center)
    Czech Center Museum - they have a lovely ballroom
    The Grove at Discovery Green - I've heard the catering min is decent

Have you also tried looking at the Lovett Inn? Yes, its a B&B, but I think it's a bit more modern than most and I thought it was pretty. The rental fee is $4500, but you get lodging for up to 8 ppl for your wedding weekend (fri & sat). There's also the Modern B&B on Hazzard. If you are definately wanting modern, this is it. You can also look at some of the other museums in Houston, rental fees aren't as high as you'd think.

Don't worry too much about what a place might look like. Lighting and decor can TOTALLY transform a room. How do you think they make reception pictures for advertising look so good?

HTH & good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I just edited my message with some more details.
  • jobie02jobie02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that The Grove would probably be a great option or any other restaurant room.  I will tell you - if you like Ousies, live with the high cake price.  Just do it.  You will get screwed on one thing or another anywhere you go.
  • edited December 2011
    I really love the Heights Houston Fire Station. I have been to a wedding there, thats where they had their ceremony and It was so pretty. At first I though it may be a little weird( before I saw it) but being their and seeing all the tables and everything in it, I loved it.  This place is way below your budget but the less you pay for the actual venue cost, the more you can spend on food, linens, and things int hat nature. If you have any questions let me know, :)
    xoxo, Jennifer
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards