Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Late engagement pictures

My fiance and I decided on a wedding photographer in September 2012. On October 6, we took engagement photos in Santa Barbara (which is where we are haivng the wedding).
We still have not seen the photos. Our photographer answered the phone when we called on November 8 and said the photos were almost done and we would have them by the end of the week. After about a week, we emailed her and nicely asked about our photos. We got no response to our emails and calls all through November, December and most of January.
On January 11, the photographer emailed and said she'd been sick and out of the office and would touch base with us the next week. She didn't mention the engagement photos and she never contacted us. 
I feel like 15 weeks is way too long to wait for engagement photos and I really don't know if I trust the photographer to either show up at the wedding or deliver our pictures. 
Has anyone ever been in a situation like this? Does anyone know the legal ramifications? We've put down a deposit for her services but best case scenario we'd like it back and to hire another photographer. Any suggestions appreciated; I'm literally at the end of my rope. Between the money we've put down and the lack of communication I feel like we can't just walk away from the mopney but at the same time, time is running out and I don't trust this person as a businesswoman.

Re: Late engagement pictures

• That is absolutely rediculous. Regardless of her editing process, illness, whatever her number one priority should be to CONTACT you and keep you updated.
    Did you sign a contract (or any paperwork)?
  • 15 weeks is rediculous! maybe 4 if she was really that sick.. but 15?! If you signed a contract I would remind the photographer of her obligation and tell her you will be taking legal action if you do not receive the photos with the next 7 days. 
  • Sadly, we did sign a contact to reserve the date of the wedding. We put down a deposit which we have now asked to be returned, as the photographer has clearly not held up her end of the bargain. 
    Any suggestions on the legality of this situation? The deposit is said to be nonrefundable but the photographer did not fulfill her obligation by any stretch of the imagination.

• That seems like way too long. I would say MAX 4 weeks for engagement photos... What did your contract say for completion time? Also what does it say about the deposit: is it refundable, what are the circumstances to cancel, etc?

I would defintitely look into this, hard to trust them for wedding photos if they cant get engagement photos done right.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards