Louisiana-New Orleans

Glass or plastic?

What are you having at your reception? Plastic is included with the catering but I am aiming for a formal, elegant theme and not sure how plasticware will fit in. I'm more concerned about barware but I'm sure about mixing? Thoughts, advice please.
March 2013 January siggy challenge - hair inspiration Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Glass or plastic?

• I did not notice until we were finalizing our catering menu that it came with acrylic and not china, however, I was able to negotiate the fee with our caterer. I just don't like the idea of spending that much on food & not serving it on real plates. Luckily for me, it didn't cost me anything extra. Honestly, it wouldn't bother me  as much to have clear plastic cups for the bar, but I just want the dinner to have a nice touch. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Did you have a buffet or plated meal?
    March 2013 January siggy challenge - hair inspiration Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We are having buffet stations. New Orleans Catering Company is the name of the vendor.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would ask to look at them.....I was surprised that Southern Oaks did not use glass but the dinnerwear was very nice.....it must have been a heavy acryllic....
  • I would not mind some of the new styles of plastic plates, because many of them look nice. But I hate trying to eat with plastic forks.
  • ZeroOrchestraZeroOrchestra member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    We had the clear plastic kind and it was fine. I honestly can't even remember the plates or silverware. The upgrade was like 6 pp and I would rather put that money into something like food quality or entertainment. No one will remember the dishes. ETA our reception was outside so I might have felt differently if the venue was indoors.
  • We did upgrade our plates, silverware, and glassware to the real stuff. Plastic was included and they charged us a fee per person to upgrade.  I was happy with the choice we made but I am someone who tries not to use disposables anyways (for environmetal reasons along with practicality/ aesthetics).  Since you're going for a more upscale feel, I'd go with real glassware at least (drinking nice wine out of a plastic cup has never appealed to me).  I think there are lots of disposable plates and silverware that are nice looking nowadays so ask to see what they'd be using if that will help you decide. Also, once you find out the upgrade cost,  I'd encourage you to determine what your priorities are - could you add an extra appetizer or drink option for that cost? Or could you have 10 more guests for that cost? If the cost is included/ small, or if it's worth it to you as it was to us, then go for the upgrade!

We did passed-apps style with a pasta station. (So more buffet style).  Plastic plates and utensils would've been totally fine aesthetically/ practically but I was very glad we upgraded the glassware.
  • We stuck with plastic. It was a difficult decision but at $700 to upgrade we just couldn't justify. In retrospect it was the right decision. Just depends on your budget.
  • njgirlinnolanjgirlinnola member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2013
    I'm a recycling freak so I am worried about the trash if all plastic's going to be used.  I also don't feel comfortable with hot food on plastic.  It's going to be  $5/pp to upgrade but  worth it to me....
  • Thanks everyone for their response. Who knew that plastic or china would such a difficult decision to make. I still haven't made my decision but I need to in the next 2 weeks.
  • New Orleans Catering was our company too. We opted to spend the little bit extra for the glass. It can't hurt to ask for a negotiated price. All they can do is say no, right?
  • *Be sustainable* Go with glass! It is, afterall, the best party you will ever throw. Treat your guests to real dishware and save the environment at the same time. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards