Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

pinning of the tartan HELP!

hi!

I am looking for suggestions on word usage for the pinning of the tartan. I understand what the tradition is and how it unfolds but am at a loss as to the words that go with the tradion. Probably why we pretty much agreed with the officiant on the rest of the ceremony :) TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: pinning of the tartan HELP!

• Options

Gosh, I'm the recording secretary for my Scottish Clan, and when I've asked around, there aren't "official" words.  However, there's a great book called "So you're going to wear the kilt" and the back few pages (it's a very thin book, meant largely for men, as so many wear the kilt incorrectly) are for women.  Make sure that when you pin it to your shoulder, you're doing it to you're RIGHT shoulder.  Left indicates a clan chief or wife of a clan chief. Which I'm assuming you're not.  Plus, there are certain ways to wear the sash that indicate if it's the clan you were born into, or the clan that you've married into. 

Yes, for PP, tartans, at least in Scottish tradition, are the "plaids" that identify what Clan, or family you're in.  There are septs within Clans (names that fall under other clans, for example MacRae also has McRay, and Buchanan also has Gibson, Watson, Bohannon, etc.)  There are usually a number of tartans for each Clan.  So, for example, there's Modern Stewart, Hunting Stewart, Dress Stewart, Ancient Stewart, etc. 

www.electricscotland.com is a good place to start if you need anything.  And, please ask the knot gods to set up a seperate board for celtic brides.  These questions come up all the time, but they don't seem to believe me.  It's as if they're English!  LOL! 

image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    I'm going to have to google this.
  • Options

Thanks everyone! I will definately try that book. I guess maybe i will give it a shot and create something myself to say while we are doing the tradition . . . . but i think i might run it by you guys first , i'm definately not the creative type!

For those that are inteterested, whenever i googled "sashing" or pinning of the tartan the same phrase always popped up" This ceremony is customized depending on whether the bride or the groom is being accepted into the clan.If the bride is marrying into the clan, any member of the groom’s family may present the bride with clan tartan in the form of a rosette pin or sash which is fastened with the clan badge.  Often this presentation is pinned or dressed to the bride as acceptance into the groom’s clan.  Many times the groom will pin or dress the bride, but it’s quite emotional when the groom’s mother does the pinning."

that was pretty much all i was able to find.Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    There's a book called Your Scottish Wedding that has a version in it that the soon to be MIL does.  I think you can order it on Amazon.  If not, put a message up on the MI Grand Rapids board and see if one of the members there still has my copy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards