Ohio-Cincinnati

How many would you/did you invite?

Our venue is booked for 120 ppl, but they said they can accomodate a few extra if that happens. We're having trouble narrowing our guest list down since FI grew up in the area, but we have a lot of military/OOT guests that we want to invite. Right now, we're at 146 but would like to add a few more to that list. Since our wedding isn't until June, we don't know if certain people wouldn't be able to make it due to something like deployment and other similar obligations 

My question is: how many more did you invite in order to meet or come close to your head count for your venue?

I've heard that you can expect about 15% not coming, but does that number increase if you have more OOT guests? Any help is appreciated! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker
image 92 Ready to party!

Re: How many would you/did you invite?

• utegogglesutegoggles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I learned this from the board. Expect 100% is coming. I'd invite 130 at the most. BUT remember that your vendors will want a seat too, so save them a place.
  • edited December 2011
    I've always been told to just expect everyone lik PP said and when you get your final count to add an extra table just for those people that said they couldn't come but show up anyway.
  • aor9487aor9487 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! We have our vendors on our list already. I know for sure a big chunk of my family, including my mom won't be able to make it as of right now, but I know in 9 months, that could change. We're sending them invites either way, even though some dont ever travel far from home at all. 

I'm just afraid we'll end up below our count and I refuse to do an A and B list. Maybe I'll work with FI to see if we can cut down on some of the guests he wants to invite and see if we can invite more people that we BOTH know. Thanks again for the advice, it's just getting confusing hearing different things and having my venue tell me that 15-20% may not show so invite more. Undecided
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 92 Ready to party!
  • GoBucksOHGoBucksOH member
    edited December 2011
    Do not invite more people than your venue can hold. WHAT IF everyone came? What would you do? Tell them to stand? You will either need to cut back on your guest list or change venues.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • aor9487aor9487 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alright, I'll have to work with FI to cut down the list. 

Does anyone think that a venue tells you to invite more because you'll have to pay for extra people if you go above your count? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 92 Ready to party!
  • GoBucksOHGoBucksOH member
    edited December 2011
    Of course. These people are out to make money so they will try to sell you more appetizers, better buffet or meal choices, the best bar package, and of course, encourage you to invite more people.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • newsgrl39newsgrl39 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else. It is not worth the stress to pray for people to rsvp no to your wedding...lol invite what the venue will hold
    BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • aor9487aor9487 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    awesome--thanks everyone. I just told FI we need to cut the list down and of course he says "why? just leave it" ...here goes nothin! I'm gonna reason my way through this and ultimately I'm paying for everything so I should have the final say lol  Tongue out
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 92 Ready to party!
  • edited December 2011
    if you're trying to meet a venue $$ minimum, you just updrage your selections and add extras if you don't end up with your target number of guests.

having less than 100% attendance can be a good thing. it usually saves money, you're surrounded by people who really want to be there and support you instead of warm bodies you've never met, and there's more elbow room for everyone.
  • dori851dori851 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_many-would-youdid-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:108Discussion:799f6c7a-f506-4ad4-be36-3b16c7388ea7Post:f39faff7-9f8a-4056-9792-5155bf1ecd65">Re: How many would you/did you invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do not invite more people than your venue can hold. WHAT IF everyone came? What would you do? Tell them to stand? You will either need to cut back on your guest list or change venues.
    Posted by GoBucksOH[/QUOTE]

This.

We also had to cut down our guest list, it's hard, but do-able! GL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • aor9487aor9487 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I just talked with FI last night once more and told him I cut down my side of the list and that we'll need to sit down and go over his side, since his guests comprise about 75% of our list (he grew up here). I mentioned that the price per head is $50 and if we go over our set guest count, that could add up drastically, which caught his attention. 

I like the idea of adding on extras if we fall below that line on the number of guests. In this case, it's best to have less versus too many guests! Great ideas. Thank you all! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 92 Ready to party!
  • hccpsuhccpsu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I admit I invited significantly more than our venue would hold, but I had a pretty good idea that the majority of our OOT guests wouldn't come, and I was right.  We had a reception after a DW, so I think that made the reception a bit more "optional" to most people.  We didn't invite kids, so I knew most of my cousins wouldn't be able to make it.  My 96-year old godfather wasn't going to travel 8 hours, and neither were my elderly aunt and uncle.  I think maybe two couples that I thought wouldn't be able to make it attended, but I also had a few local guests that I thought would come, but weren't able, so my estimate was right on.  I was not only significantly below the room's maximum, I was below my minimum.

That being said, if you have a few people (like the 96-year old godfather) that you know won't be able to make it, I think it's okay to go a few people over, but I'd keep it in the single digits.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards