Hawaii

Happy Friday!

Happy Friday everyone!

Anything good going on this weekend?

Tomorrow is my mom's birthday and I'm not quite sure what we're going to do yet. We're either going to go out to lunch and then relax by the pool (best birthday ever?) or go to Tyson's Corner for a shopping spree.

Re: Happy Friday!

• motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Good morning and Happy Friday!  Tomorrow FI and I are moving our things into a storage unit from our apt.  We are moving in with his parents for a month while he and I close escrow on the house we purchased and need to remodel a bit.  Also we have a baby shower to attend later in Saturday afternoon.  Sunday is probably going to go back and clean up the apt for the landlord can look through it so we can get our deposit back.  Some where in there I am going to play with Maus.  Puppy!
  • edited December 2011
    motoLyn!  A house!  So exciting.  And Brea, that sounds like a lovely way to spend a birthday...your mom is lucky!

I'm kind of glass-is-half-empty today.  Major issues at work (sigh) and I did a count last night...I've written about 100 thank you cards and I still have 78 left.  AND that's just my side of the guests.  DH has a bunch left, too.  GAH!
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Watching kids write final exam all day.  Nothing to do as report cards are all done.  I've got a ton of packing to do this weekend (motolyn, I feel your apcking pain), but I think I've got the flu coming on, so I'm hoping teh drugs will kick in and take care of it before it get's bad.  Feeling hungover evern though I haven't had a drink in weeks.  Don't you all hate it when that happens??

• kimmykupcakeskimmykupcakes member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aloha! I have today off!!!! Pretty happy about that.  Of course, it's because I worked Sunday. I'm going to work in the yard today. 

Our new house keeper comes today, too. She will normally come on Thursdays, but decided to have her come today since it's her first week and that way I am here, if she has any questions, but out of the way while I do yard work. 

I also have to go to the store and put together a few nibbles for tonight since we are having friends over.  Thinking about making a peach crisp, too.  Need to see how good the peaches are though.  FI is hoping I found some perfectly ripe ones cuz since I said I wanted to make on he says he wants to eat it. hehe
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So excited - a week from today we leave!!  Last day at work for a whole MONTH - I soooo needed this, but it was still extremely hard to make myself come in today! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Mmm.  Peach crisp sounds so good right now

• fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    TGIF - Happy Friday!!  :)  Everyone's plans sound awesome!  

Tanq - I haven't even started on thank you cards yet!  Knowing me, I'll procrastinate until our first year anniversary, LOL  :)

DH and I are going to go 'house hunting' for the first time tomorrow...we're sick of paying rent!  :)  Checking out houses and have a couple appointments planned.  Trying to do some 'research' on questions to ask, so we don't look like fools  ;-)  Any advice/tips for a first-time home buyer?

• edited December 2011
    Peach crisp, WANT.  AKWB -- so incredibly excited for you!
  • breanessbreaness member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_happy-friday-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:ced84ac2-553b-4fae-883f-24f763fbae81Post:1565cf80-40a6-49db-892f-54d1ddc3c620">Re: Happy Friday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]TGIF - Happy Friday!!  :)  Everyone's plans sound awesome!   Tanq - I haven't even started on thank you cards yet!  Knowing me, I'll procrastinate until our first year anniversary, LOL  :) DH and I are going to go 'house hunting' for the first time tomorrow...we're sick of paying rent!  :)  Checking out houses and have a couple appointments planned.  Trying to do some 'research' on questions to ask, so we don't look like fools  ;-)  Any advice/tips for a first-time home buyer?
    Posted by fabutan[/QUOTE]

<div>We just got done looking at houses for the first time. Put an offer in, we were accepted, went through the inspection process and then backed out :(</div><div>
    </div><div>But know that no question is stupid. It's stupid to not ask. I know that's a cliche, but it's true. When your real estate agent starts talking in another language tell them to talk to you like you have no idea what they're talking about. Like "what the hell is a comp?" etc. And it never hurts to ask things of the seller. We were looking at an as-is short sale and they still offered to help with the repairs. Unfortunately it still ended up being more than we were interested in dealing with.</div><div>
    </div><div>Best of luck!</div>
  • breanessbreaness member
    edited December 2011
    Moto-- Yay for closing on your house! That's so exciting! Hopefully you don't have to live with the in laws too long. Even if you guys get along well, it can definitely start to feel cramped after a while. Our best friends lived with his dad while their house was being built and by the end of the time they were there they couldn't have been more happy to get out!

Tanq-- Yikes! So many Thank you cards! Slowly but surely you'll get through them. What a sense of accomplishment you'll have once you do :)

kje_-- I hope you feel better soon!

Kimmy-- Enjoy your day off! That's awesome that you have a new housekeeper starting today. I was all freaking smiles when Merry Maids left yesterday. The place looked amazing. Peach crisp sounds amazing.

AK-- SO SOOON!!! <3
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    i agree looking at houses was fun but man there were moments when I had no idea what the real estate agent and my FI were talking about.  I had to stop them and ask questions.  I think the godsend of our real estate agent is also one of FI's friends from when he was training to be a life guard. We had two other agents before who I felt were kind of shady.  But I will say iit was a intimidating process for me.  Good luck fabutan and enjoy the house hunting!

kje, I HATE packing and have not lived in one one for more than a year. I am so ready to just settle down in one place and make a home for FI, me and Maus.

AKWB, one week and you're going to be a Mrs.!  Have a great last day at work.
  • fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    breaness - Sorry to hear that the first house didn't work out.  Who knows...maybe it was 'meant to be' and you'll find something much better soon!  Thanks for the words of advice - first time house buying is definitely scary!  Real estate talk is like french to me, LOL  :)  We know "nothing" at this point... but hopefully we get "educated" about this soon!  ;)

• fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    motoLyn - thanks!  Yup, totally relate to what you say...we're intimidated and we haven't even started yet, LOL  :)  Glad it all worked out for you and FI - it must be so exciting to be getting ready for your first home!  Congrats  :)

• kimmykupcakeskimmykupcakes member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    AK- I can't believe your wedding is so soon!

Tanq- I just ordered our TY cards last night.  Need to get on the engagement gift thank yous.  Do not want to have to deal with what you are.

Lyn- Good luck with the moving and packing. 

Brea- I say lay by the pool.  

I'll let you all know if I make the peach crisp and you can come on over, if I do.

I realized I didn't put any of what we are doing this weekend...

I'm going to yoga tomorrow morning while FI works on prepping the exterior of the house for him to start painting it.  Painting the house is going to be his summer project. After that we are going to a distillery tour done by pedi-cabs and that night a luau at one of our neighbor's houses. 

Sunday, FI will be working on the paint project again while I work on some wedding stuff. That night we have our mid-century modern league meeting to attend. 
  • maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Happy Friday Ladies...yeah!!! Just have a minute so i wanted to wish everyone success for their week-end plans beit WR or not.  Buying a house and getting settled is a great thing...i've purchased before but moved twice in 3 years...now we're good. Very glad we did it a year before the wedding versus after which was our initial plan. AK...congrats on the last day...who hoo...and not working for a whole month...so awesome!!! I have a baby shower tomorrow and Sunday need to clean up and chill...most importantly get to the gym...i am soo depressed since i am no where even close to my goal weight...but as the French say...c'est la vie...and as Nike says...Just do it...not sure if they still say that tho and easier said than done...anyway here i go again ranting again...my apologizes...anyhoo great rest of Friday ladies!!! J. :-)
    edited December 2011
    Fabutan - take the time to look at lots and figure out if it's actually what you want or just what you thought you wanted.  Look at the bones of a house.  Paint, carpet, flooring, cupboards can all be easilly changed, and sometimes relatively cheaply too, so don't turn down a good house just cos the walls are evil pink.  And think about what you'll use the hosue for.  Dinigs rooms look beautiful, but if you never entertain, it's just another room to clean, so while it's cool to haev certain things maybe, you might not actually get any use out of them.  But really, i fyou end up hating something, you can always sell and move again!!

• edited December 2011
    Maui2011...good luck towards that weight goal.  I know it's cliche, but do the best you can and focus on how you feel & how the clothes fit...not the weight.  I think we can sometimes be overly critical of ourselves!

Brea - I hear you on the house thing.  We're currently looking as well, and we're getting tired of the games & jargon. 

HOW IS IT ONLY 10AM?!  Shoot me now...
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    Hahaha Tanq are you on the West Coast with me?  Its 10 am as well.  I must be geographically challenged I thought Hudson Valley is on the East Coast in the state of New York.

Either way, I agree its only 10 am and I want to run out of my office and go home.
  • FSForeverFSForever member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Happy Friday!
    We took my girls and Dad to the airport at 3am.  He's taking them shopping for 6 days in NYC, grad gifts from him.  FH and I have 6 days alone but the kicker is I don't fell well. Had an ovarian cyst earlier this week and still making me feel sick.  I am hoping that its just the early rising this morning and after some rest we can enjoy the weekend. Taking friends to the Mariner game tomorrow night.  Should be fun. 
    Good luck to all of the house hunters.  Its always fun to look but the stress of closing and moving is Heck.  Whatever you do don't fall in love with a house.  My ex did that and we ended up with a 105 yr old craftsman that was a mess.  5 yrs of remodeling. 
    Probably why FH and I are in a new house now. 

• edited December 2011

Happy aloha friday everyone! I had to chuckle - as its just about 8am here... and I am just starting my day out! ;)

Hoping to have a relaxing Saturday, Sunday we have a graduation party for FI's cousin. Also working on packing for our vacation... in 1 week! :) Another thing we have to deal with is our water heater leaked on Sunday, so stuff is all over the house and we are dealing with still sucking up some water! Thankfully our landlord is super great, got someone out on Monday to install a new water heater and even offered to help with the clean-up!

Have a great weekend!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    FSF -- hope you feel better soon and it's nothing serious.

Lyn -- oops!  I moved to CA a few months ago and never updated your profile.  You're right, Hudson Valley is in NY :) 
  • edited December 2011
    Happy Friday!

It's been a crazy week here, mostly good, but some bad. One of our students got hit by a wave at the beach (Great Lakes), was swept under for 10 minutes and is now in a coma. It's a miracle that she's still alive, but doctors aren't hopeful about her coming out of a vegetative state. So, there have been a lot of tears and trauma counsellors on hand this week.

And then another teacher was assaulted by a student and I was threatened by a third.

Sigh.

But, I'm still happy about the job, so I'm going to choose to be positive overall!

Plus, I've lost 4 lbs in the last two weeks and Hawaii will be in 5 weeks! I cannot wait.
  • edited December 2011
    Happy Friday Everyone!

Fabutan...good luck with the house search! I've been a home owner for almost 2 years now but the process wasn't easy...LET ME TELL YOU! A year of home searching, 27 offers (yes....27!!!) and A LOT of drama from the banks. It was totally stressing and caused a lot of fights between FI and I but it all worked out in the end. We bought a bank owned property that needed some repairs (which we did ourselves). It was a labor of love but now I cannot wait to go home every day. Be prepared to ask a lot of questions (any question...don't hold back) and it helps to be extremely organized with your paperwork, financials and that sort of thing. Have lots of wine ready for those "bad" days when you want to give up the house searching. haha.

Motolyn-congrats on your closing. I moved in with my parents before we closed on our house. It was hell and I spent a lot of time at the bars but just know that you'll be a homeowner soon :)

AK-Congrats! I'm so envious of you taking a whole month off! Enjoy every minute of it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards