Plus-Sized
Options

Plus size bride in need of some help... (Cross post)

I just got engaged in December and my wedding not till June 14, 2014. Normally I would be like super excited and that but one thing thats weighting on me is my weight... In highschool I lost 40 LBS before prom... My motivation - PROM DRESS but I was also in tennis, softball, and working out two nights a week the 6 months before. Now you would think i would be just as motivated with my WEDDING but for whatever reason I'm not... I really thought this would be the kick in the butt I need to get started but I've actually gained 5 LBS... I am a plus size girl and really don't wanna have to settle on a dress because its what I can get in my size but to get the dress I want... Any advice on what I can do to help get me started maybe?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Plus size bride in need of some help... (Cross post)

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I started adding healthy food to my unhealthy diet and then after a week or two started phasing out the bad food. Once I got my eating under control, I started adding in some exercise.

I really like myfitnesspal.com too. 
  • Options

hi :) I did the same thing but i lost about 50lb for my senior year/the prom  and I was a healthy tall framed size 10/12
    right now (gosh 17 years later) I am a size 20 and when Igot engaged in Sept I was a size 24 - I sooo thought that the ring was going to kick me into high work out mood and I would be a bit smaller and tighter then a 20 but things happen - i was not feeling like i wanted to work out  and even had a surgery - i am not giving up and have just over 3 months to go for my big day - I know there is no way I will be a 10/12 but 16/18 can happen with the right foods and sweatng my butt off...
    Anyway please keep in mind no matter what 6-10-16- 26-36 there are still a ton of dresses out there and you will be gorgeous on your wedding day  - yes it might be harder to try them on but you have lots of time - enough that you can have anything ordered in almost any size (some designers do charge an up fee) 
    I even drove 2 hours to Philly to look at what i thought was my dream dress - the ball gown was traveling in a trunk show (only one sample ever made) it was a size 8 - I was not able to try in on just look at it and hold it up to my body lol but in person the flowers on it did not look like the images so i passed. I could have had that dress in my size for an extra $200 - and i would have if i loved it - in the end I went with an alfred angelo disney dress- but it just happened to be what i felt most like me in  - my point being is just cause the dress shop cant afford to carry every dress in every size and tend to have less choices for the curvy girls does not mean you cant have the gown of your dreams - if you have the budget ;)    ok i have gone on enough :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    No joke - the 17 Day Diet book (pink book! Super cute!) was "the cure" for me...I lost weight pretty quickly (and not in a "bad" way - ate normally,  but just the foods they recommended - and did it for the 4   17-day intervals like suggested...it was really good! However, I need to lose more for my wedding in August, so I think a PARTNERSHIP of some sort is a good motivator. Heck, if you want to - and I don't even KNOW you! :) - I'd totally be your partner and do it with you!! I dropped 20 w/in the first 20 days - no joke. And I FELT awesome too!! My motivation should be my dress, but I think I want to look like a hot skanky whore-bride on my wedding night, so I think THAT is my motivation! :) lol
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    @ puppertrick - I am so with you I got the 17 Day diet and read it over - this week I am sort of doing a lot a salmon over salad  as a kick start  but not following the book to the letter... i would love to surprise my future hubby and be a HSWB too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_plus-size-bride-in-need-of-some-help-cross-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:51ce501c-8e09-463c-b2af-8070918d5565Post:91f13746-06b5-4186-abc0-d9caf91c9804">Re: Plus size bride in need of some help... (Cross post)</a>:
    [QUOTE]@ puppertrick - I am so with you I got the 17 Day diet and read it over - this week I am sort of doing a lot a salmon over salad  as a kick start  but not following the book to the letter... i would love to surprise my future hubby and be a HSWB too!
    Posted by EastSideBlonde[/QUOTE]

It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO great once you get into it! The pounds start DROPPING! I love it!! :) I have a lot of good recipes I found online too, not from the book itself!! How many days have you been on it? I need to re-diet myself!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_plus-size-bride-in-need-of-some-help-cross-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:51ce501c-8e09-463c-b2af-8070918d5565Post:e45ed960-f7ba-48e5-8fa9-fe70e8be3ec4">Re: Plus size bride in need of some help... (Cross post)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Plus size bride in need of some help... (Cross post) : It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO great once you get into it! The pounds start DROPPING! I love it!! :) I have a lot of good recipes I found online too, not from the book itself!! How many days have you been on it? I need to re-diet myself!
    Posted by puppetrick[/QUOTE]

Monday was supposed to be my first day - but  i was not 100% Today has been the best for me with eating - i only have the book i will need to google tonight!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Awesome!! One day down! That's GREAT! :) (and if it's not 100% - at least you have an IDEA of what to do, right?? :))..it gets easier, for real! Congrats on getting the day finished (almost) and actually DOING it! I had BBQ chicken on spinach leaves today, with sugar-free raspberry vineagrette dressing and *oops* mini onion straws (for crunch's sake!)..and water...a TON of H2O.
  • Options
    I'm down about 30 pounds. I haven't been to the gym in months!  My big tips are - 
    1) Cut out (limit) diet coke and sweet tea (I have one caffeine-free diet coke in the am.)
    2) Crystal Light is your friend! I'm not a big fan of water, but I can guzzle crystal light. At only 5 cal/serving, it's easier on the waistline.
    3) I brush my teeth at 7pm and refuse to eat anything for the rest of the night.
    4) I have FI "hide" his junky food. He loves his little debbie snack cakes! They "hide" in clear tupperware in the cabinet, but it makes it "off limits" to me.
    5) www.myfitnesspal.com helped me track my calories.  I was drinking almost 450 calories a day - eek!

*6*) MOST IMPORTANT - Remember, he love you now....any weight you loose is icing on the cake.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    don't stress TOO much! you have awhile. just try to eat a bit healthier. instead of white bread have wheat, don't drink soda, etc. for exercise you can start taking walks or something slow to start off with.
  • Options
    I want to lose some weight for my wedding NIGHT even more important to me than my wedding DAY! I'm kind of embarrassed for him to see me unclothed. I'm having trouble getting motivated though. At times like this I have to remind myself that he fell in love with me the size I am, and he's not going to love me more just because I weigh less.
  • Options
    Trying on dresses helped motivate me. I also started to wear a pedometer ever day. Each day I added an additional 500 steps. Also a great help for me has been the Women's Health Big Book of Exercises. It has easy exercises for toning and dropping weight plus routines. I love it! Good Luck! Just remember you have to want it to happen!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards