December 2013 Weddings

am i overreacting?

Tell me if I should just get over myself or if this is really effing rude.

Roommate met this guy, a friend of a friend, who lives out of town.  They've been emailing and talking a lot, sort of creating a relationship (right after she broke up with the live in boyfriend).  He's now in town, staying at our house.  She didn't really ask, like she has when she's had friends visit, but I've never really had a problem with the friends or her parents staying (despite us not having a spare bedroom), so I can kind of understand that.

What I don't think is cool is that he's just here while she's at work.  It's not like it's a friend she's known for years.  It's some random guy I've never met who she also barely knows.  I'm not really comfortable with that.  

Is that my problem since I haven't had a problem with other visitors, including people who are told just to walk in and make themselves at home while they wait (oh, wait, that one actually bothered me)?  Am I being unfair b/c of his gender or b/c I've read some emails and think he's a pretentious moron (admittedly, he may be awesome and just writes stupid emails)?  Or is this a different situation, and I'm right to not be ok with it?

Re: am i overreacting?

• I don't think you are overreacting.  Hell, I get irritated when my FIL visits and is here all day while DH is at work...  but I am a SAHM so I feel like I have to entertain him during that time.  

Lori, mom to Avery born 4.3.07
    my read shelf:
    Lori's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • SibilSibil member
    First Comment
    I don't know how long he'll be here.  Possibly for quite a few days.  I had asked her before, but she was noncommittal b/c apparently he has a place an hour or so away where he can stay.

I am in clinical for the next 3 days straight, so I had mentioned that to her, since I'll need to be in bed early and actually be able to sleep.  Again, she kind of brushed me off and was all "it's not like i'd be throwing a party."  I get that, but if I'm up at 5:30 for 3 12 hour shifts in a row, it doesn't take a party to affect me.  And I need to be rested for clinicals.

I think I'm kind of feeling guilty that I'm not a good host, too.  Not that I should feel any obligation to be one, but i do anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards