Honeymoon Discussions

cant afford my dream destination

my dream honeymoon would be going to italy. walking on italian beaches, eating foreign cheeses, sampling wine. touring whr romeo and juliet were all sounds amazing to me. but my fh is living off of disability and still lives w his father and i dnt hav any money coming in and still live w my dad and gramma. how can we afford such a trip?

Re: cant afford my dream destination

• edited July 2012
    I would love that trip too and also can't afford it. It's OK to not be able to afford your dream trip right now. There are many trips we want to take that are on the backburner for awhile.

I don't know your budget so I don't know if Italy is feasible for you or not. If you are willing to post your budget, some people here might be able to help you and figure out if Italy could work or not. Even if not, you always have that as an anniversary trip in the future, and if you give us some ideas of what you like to do, we might be able to recommend other trips.

ETA: You also don't have to take a HM at all right away. If you can't afford a trip, you can't. Many people don't take one immediately and just take a larger trip a year or so later.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • edited July 2012
    Just b/c you can't afford it now, doesn't mean you can't save for it and go when you have the money.
  • H and I couldn't afford our dream destination (one of many dream destinations) either for our HM.  So instead we picked a place that we could afford and had an amazing time.

Just because you can't afford your dream destination for your HM doesn't mean that you can never go there later on in life.  Go somewhere that you can afford now and save up and go to your dream destination 10, 15 or 20 years from now.

• save up and go when you can. get a job, save your check.
    since you have no money coming in (I assume you're not working) and DH on DBL how do you both plan on getting your own place to live? that would be my first priority. everything else is a luxury.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cant-afford-my-dream-destination?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:594ce357-eafe-49b8-b779-8b13f4694f71Post:00bcda8b-86eb-4590-a4e7-7cd769cf4520">cant afford my dream destination</a>:
    [QUOTE]my dream honeymoon would be going to italy. walking on italian beaches, eating foreign cheeses, sampling wine. touring whr romeo and juliet were all sounds amazing to me. but my fh is living off of disability and still lives w his father and i dnt hav any money coming in and still live w my dad and gramma. <strong>how can we afford such a trip?</strong>
    Posted by melizard48[/QUOTE]

Well, to focus on your question, you should post your budget here and see if anyone can come up with anything.

Also, do you, your FI, or your families have any rewardspoints with banks/hotels/airlines/etc? That could possibly defray SOME costs.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cant-afford-my-dream-destination?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:594ce357-eafe-49b8-b779-8b13f4694f71Post:95d0928e-5090-431f-987b-36a048a2ac68">Re: cant afford my dream destination</a>:
    [QUOTE]save up and go when you can. get a job, save your check. since you have no money coming in (I assume you're not working) and DH on DBL how do you both plan on getting your own place to live? that would be my first priority. everything else is a luxury.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

All of this. 

I would worry about paying for basic living costs, wedding costs, and getting our own place if I were you.  It's OK not to take a honeymoon immediately, or not to go anywhere fancy.  You're getting married, and that's exciting enough.  Take a cheap mini-moon somewhere and enjoy being with your new husband.

Later, you can take some kind late honeymoon or anniversary trip.  Going to Italy doesn't have to cost a fortune if you stay in cheaper hotels, or even better, rent an apartment and cook meals at home.  Go during the low seasons when airfare and hotels are a little cheaper.  Don't pay for expensive tours, but just explore.  (Of course, Italy still costs a lot of money no matter what, so I don't think you should even think about this right now.)

SaveSave
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cant-afford-my-dream-destination?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:594ce357-eafe-49b8-b779-8b13f4694f71Post:00bcda8b-86eb-4590-a4e7-7cd769cf4520">cant afford my dream destination</a>:
    [QUOTE]my dream honeymoon would be going to italy. walking on italian beaches, eating foreign cheeses, sampling wine. touring whr romeo and juliet were all sounds amazing to me. but my <strong>fh is living off of disability and still lives w his father and i dnt hav any money coming in and still live w my dad and gramma.</strong> how can we afford such a trip?

Do you have a plan for the basic necessities?  Housing, transportation, food, utilities?  It sounds like you have some more important issues to deal with first.  Your honeymoon can wait.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Save.  Save.  Save.  Set a goal to have the entire amount saved in time to go on your dream trip for your 5th or 10th anniversary.  Let nothing deter you from that goal.  Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cant-afford-my-dream-destination?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:594ce357-eafe-49b8-b779-8b13f4694f71Post:00bcda8b-86eb-4590-a4e7-7cd769cf4520">cant afford my dream destination</a>:
    [QUOTE]my dream honeymoon would be going to italy. walking on italian beaches, eating foreign cheeses, sampling wine. touring whr romeo and juliet were all sounds amazing to me. but my fh is living off of disability and still lives w his father and i dnt hav any money coming in and still live w my dad and gramma. how can we afford such a trip?
    Italy isn't that awesome, just for the record. And Verona has a house of Juliette and a balcony, but you know it was built in 1930, so.... 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cant-afford-my-dream-destination?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:594ce357-eafe-49b8-b779-8b13f4694f71Post:5642bac7-ca2d-43f8-a9b2-e324cb08e3f1">Re: cant afford my dream destination</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to cant afford my dream destination : <strong>Italy isn't that awesome, just for the record. </strong>And Verona has a house of Juliette and a balcony, but you know it was built in 1930, so.... 
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

Really?  I thought my tour through Italy was amazing!
    [QUOTE]my dream honeymoon would be going to italy. walking on italian beaches, eating foreign cheeses, sampling wine. touring whr romeo and juliet were all sounds amazing to me. but<strong> my fh is living off of disability and still lives w his father and i dnt hav any money coming in and still live w my dad and gramma.</strong> how can we afford such a trip?

A vacation should be the last thing on your mind right now.  In fact, until you are both a little more financially secure, I would think that a wedding in general would be pretty low on the priority list.

Get on your feet first, and then save for a trip later.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cant-afford-my-dream-destination?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:594ce357-eafe-49b8-b779-8b13f4694f71Post:7b247784-2091-4681-93af-be17753dffe2">Re: cant afford my dream destination</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: cant afford my dream destination : Really?  I thought my tour through Italy was amazing!
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]
    Well, it's a little different when you live there. ;)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cant-afford-my-dream-destination?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:594ce357-eafe-49b8-b779-8b13f4694f71Post:26824218-027d-4d74-8459-5b2d3d62200f">Re: cant afford my dream destination</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to cant afford my dream destination : A vacation should be the last thing on your mind right now.  In fact, until you are both a little more financially secure, I would think that a wedding in general would be pretty low on the priority list. Get on your feet first, and then save for a trip later.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

You should see her post about her mom... I almost think this might be MUD.

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cant-afford-my-dream-destination?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:594ce357-eafe-49b8-b779-8b13f4694f71Post:917f6d73-6e8b-4707-b51e-10de36e4bf46">Re: cant afford my dream destination</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: cant afford my dream destination : Well, it's a little different when you live there. ;)
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

hahaha, nice!  :) 
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Powerball. It's a sure thing.
    Lizzie
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cant-afford-my-dream-destination?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:594ce357-eafe-49b8-b779-8b13f4694f71Post:8fe1b755-9a18-4e0b-8540-fba83cd1f645">Re: cant afford my dream destination</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: cant afford my dream destination : You should see her post about her mom... I almost think this might be MUD.
    Posted by dazyabbey[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same. Disability usually equals you are so screwed up to the point that you cannot work. If you cannot work, then chances are, you cannot travel for 8+ hours and then frolic about Europe. If someone is on disability and then travels like this, well, then there is a whole different set of problems (broken system, for sure!)

• Since you both live with your families, I would be more concerned about finding a job and finding somewhere to live. I have had many friends who didnt take a honeymoon because they couldnt afford it, or just took a minimoon somewhere close by. Sounds like this dream is far off for you, sorry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I noticed you're from NJ, which isn't too far away from the Finger Lakes wineries (Central NY). I live in the area and there are cute cottages, bed and breakfasts, etc. The vineyards are beautiful and there's wine sampling, beer sampling, cute little cafes.... it's not Italy but it might not be a bad option on a budget for a similar feel.
  • what does MUD mean? if tht means made up drama you are out of your mind to say something as hateful and mean. i dnt make s*** up. this is my real life and if you dnt like it i suggest you keep your mouth shut and stop being so rude and inconsiderate for others feelings such as mine. my mom apologized and said she wished i was there and cried over the phone but you have no right to say mean things tht are not true. and btw our budget for the wedding and honeymoon all together is $7000. we are thinking maybe pananma city or orlanda to see disney world. seaworld, universal studios, etc as a honeymoon. we both like music. i love scenery and beaches. we both love water(pools, oceans, lakes, rivers.) we both sing and i would love to be on american idol or the voice so tht might be doable. im not sure right now. i am more focused on finding a place to live close to my family in dawson, alabama and planning our wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards